Do people actually believe these commercials???

Options
Whenever I hear that stupid Sensa commercial I can't help but laugh and feel sorry for people who waste their money on it! Why don't you take that money and spend it on groceries to eat BETTER food??? The idea of sprinkling something on french fries and magically making it okay to eat is ridiculous!

There are so many pills and drinks out there that promise you that you don't have to change your diet or exercise and you can still lose weight! It is common sense that if you don't burn more calories than you're eating, you WON'T lose weight!

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Yes people do believe these commercials. They wouldn't keep making them if they didn't work. And there wouldn't be thread after constant thread asking if anybody has used this product and did it work?
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA I know what you mean about Sensa.....REALLY?! so dumb
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    There are so many pills and drinks out there that promise you that you don't have to change your diet or exercise and you can still lose weight!
    My favorite part about this is how they always subtly mention that results work better with proper diet and exercise, completely undermining the "intended" audience of the product
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    some people will buy just about anything. i know people who have tried several of the get thin quick products. they dont work. you may find something that works for a short period but in reality its causing you internal damage to your liver or kidneys and the moment you stop taking them, your gaining again. hard work, determination, sweat will get you to lose. everything else is just a lie.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    But but it's a miracle drug.. and Dr Oz or someone thinks it's great and it works. Why just two weeks ago my second cousin 12x removed's 3rd cousin's aunt read about someone that lost an ounce in a month using it ... SMH
  • jerilph
    jerilph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband laughed just last night at the sensa commercial because it had a guy dressed as a cop sprinkling it on a donut. LOL
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Well....my mom is taking Lipozene and has lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks. The only change she's made to her daily routine is drinking a full glass of water with her pill, where she wouldn't have before. So it must do something right.
  • BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    LOL, Sensa is by far the most ridiculous gimmick I've ever seen! Magic powder? Really, people?
  • edixon908
    edixon908 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Its ridiculous and part of me actually feels bad for some people who don’t know any better. I have seen the commercials and every time I want to cringe. I have myself been fooled by many of these types of commercials. I remember buying a device that tones your abs after you place the device around your waist (anyone remember machine).
    So we each have to live and learn and yes nothing replaces eating healthy and exercising.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    It wasn't Sensa, but another one I see regularly says the average trial participants lost 3.86lbs in 8 weeks. That's chump change for most people on MFP. Less than 1/2 pound a week? Most people can do that just by cutting calories - and not even all that many calories.
  • marfmellows
    Options
    I agree that it is ridiculous. Sensa is not an FDA approved or properly researched drug. The clinical studies that have been conducted are actually not done by any scientific standard. However, I think it is important that we don't call people stupid or dumb for buying into it. We are constantly surrounded by bad information and taught from an early age what "trigger words" we are supposed to respond to. Things like "scientifically formulated", "Clinical studies" and "All-natural" are words and phrases that we are taught to trust. After all, they wouldn't lie to us right?

We have a responsibility to educate those we love about basic scientific data, how research is conducted, who funds it, and why some studies are not reliable.

There is always going to be someone selling snake oil. Let's target the companies and not to folks who get sucked into it.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    SENSA DOES work! I've tried it and lost 20 pounds in my first month. I can't believe you guys are talking about a product you haven't tried. Just try it and you'll see. (Don't check my profile or you might/might not find out I sell it on the side)

(Disclaimer: Sarcasm was used in this post. Briko3 is not responsible for the message contained in this message. This post does not reflect actual events and any resemblance to actual persons or events is coincidence.)
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had to youtube it to see this..

My one question to the people seeing their amazing results in the commercial- WHO WEIGHTS THEMSELVES WITH THEIR CLOTHES ON!!! I'd never weigh myself in jeans, that's craziness right there.
  • konekkobaba
    Options
    I absolutely love the "abs" on the model..yeah..sprinking an appetite suppresant is gonna make you look like a fitness model who starves and dehydrates herself so her muscles gleam thru..no thanks!!!
  • mabroney33
    Options
    yes
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My favorite part about this is how they always subtly mention that results work better with proper diet and exercise, completely undermining the "intended" audience of the product

This man speaks the truth.

As does Miranda.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, a lot of people do believe. They want so desperately to find a quick fix, that they latch on to anything that they thinks will fix their problem. Most people have a hard time admitting that to fix the problem it actually takes hard work and dedication. There is no safe, effective shortcut. It just takes plain old fashioned motivation!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I see this in the morning while I'm at the gym sometimes...cracks me up.

Sadly..YES, people want to believe them at least. Just read the forums to see how many people post questions about hcg, raspberry ketones, or whatever fad Dr. Oz is getting paid to promote this week...

It goes against everything we KNOW to be true, but people still want to believe in the quick fix miracle diet!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHA...the youtube video I watched (I don't watch commercials, hate them, so I'd never heard of this) lmao
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdxPqgssk0c
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    honestly i think some people are just so overwhelmed they don't know where to start... and we all want fast results so these bright shiny toys are appealing to most ppl.

In general though I think most ppl who look for an easy way out are just not ready to make an actual commitment to do the work required.

A cop sprinkling it on a doughnut, really?! omg....