Fuelling the machine...

I wasn't sure where to post this, here or in food and nutrition... but I figured here as it's primarily due to exercise.

I've been hitting the exercise hard this past few weeks and eating enough to fuel it (or so I think) probably about 2000-2500 a day, even on rest days (as that's when I'm hungriest) but I seem to be running on empty all the time. If i start the week with a big workout (circuit training and running sprints) then I don't seem to have enough energy the next day to function, yet if I push through and exercise I'm not performing well because I'm so exhausted.

Just to clarify as well, my exhaustion isn't a muscle fatigue feeling, but more a, every muscle is shaking and I can barely breathe and I'm sweating profusely sort of feeling, like you're literally on your last reserves. I don't log food any more, but my diet is filled with pretty good stuff, porridge and fruit for breakfast, scrambled eggs, cheese and a bagel for lunch with low fat greek yoghurt and dinner is grilled salmon, sweet potatoes and broccoli (this is an average day). I have a banana after a workout and have a small chocolatey treat before bed and I get in 2ltrs of water a day at least. Even if I eat a pretty decent meal (with balanced carbs) an hour before a workout, it doesn't seem to give me any more energy!

So yeah, any suggestions on where i'm going wrong are much appreciated! Most people are getting fitter in my fitness classes where as I seem to be getting worse as my energy resources are depleting!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    How do you know you are getting 2000 to 2500 calories a day if you aren't logging? I'd start logging to see where you really are.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Just because I had been logging for almost two years and now believe that I'm at a point where I can legitimately estimate my intake, I'm eating all the things that I was eating when logging (1800cals was my goal) but now use full fat butter, semi skimmed milk (as opposed to skimmed) and cook with oils instead of sprays. I'm also having larger portions, choosing bigger bananas and sweet potatoes etc. Then of course at least once a week I'm probably having a huge portion of pasta and will have pizza and ice cream occasionally. I'm not hungry either which to me is a big indicator, I just don't feel like the food that I am eating is giving me any energy at all!
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    I'm assuming at 125 you are eating 2K-2.5K because you are in a bulk cycle....are you getting the protein in? I'd recommend droping cals a bit to see if your are just overeating and creating lethargy. You say you have rest days, so it is not fatigue. I would cut calories and see if energy returns.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Eating too much? That's a new one that I hadn't considered.

I'm about 130 right now, and am definitely not bulking. I probably burn about 4-600 cals a day on top of my regular routine through exercise, which as my BMR is 1650 puts me about right on 2 - 2500. Maybe I should do my scooby figures again just to see where I'm at as I haven't done them for a while!

I'll definitely consider what you have said, I just couldn't imagine eating less and finding myself with more energy!

EDIT - Just checked scooby - my BMR is actually only 1400, which seems about right. But with my exercise and activity level it sets my calories at 2100