After 8 years of getting fatter - back at it.

Options
Hello! This is the first time I have tracked calories since I was in high school trying to drop 10 lbs to get into a lower weight class. It's been about 20 years! I'm already seeing some nice progress; 8 lbs down in about 10 days. It's probably a lot of water weight.

The last time I got into shape was when I was pushing 30, but I still ate whatever I wanted. I have run everything from 5k to marathon along with some triathlons and lots of mountain biking. After realizing I'd never be able to make enough time to train for an iron man, I kind of lost interest and started packing on the pounds in my 30's. I've never been serious about taking it off; loosing 10-15 lbs, then putting it back on. After a friend of mine stopped in town for a visit 30 lbs lighter, without a single minute of exercise, I decided it was time for me to get serious about my eating habbits and health.

I've got a pretty solid fitness background to draw from, but my nutrition knowledge is seriously lacking. Any tips and help would be appreciated. My diary is open and I'm honest with my entries; note the huge amount of beer and alchohol listed. I can't give up beer completely so don't bother asking; many of my evenings are spent hanging out with friends at the pub. I have however cut it back to light beer to cut back on calories, but I can't stand to sit around the house watching TV at night and I'm a night owl. I'm mostly looking for ways to speed up my metabolism and eat the meals that will give me the most bang for my calorie buck!

Good luck to all of you!