Great at home strength moves?

Options
I have a few pairs of light dumbbells (4lb, 7lb, and 10lb) and I wanted to know if anyone knows of effective, great moves to use them with for upper and lower body strength training. I do the following moves without weights:

Tricep dips
Triangle push ups
Squats
Lunges
Plank
Side Plank
Regular push ups

Are there some good moves to do at home so I don't have to join up at a gym? I'm looking to cut and tone with strength training, if that makes any difference. I want to start incorporating strength 2-3 days a week and try to take care of upper and lower body in the same day.

Replies

• ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    Gladiator Walk. You can do it with dumbells. Check it out on youtube.

Crunches on the ball with chest flys (if you have an excercise ball)

Russian twists... you can do them with a weight too.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Get a doorway pullup bar or some other means to do pulling exercises. Those dumbbells are totally insufficient for pulling.

Here is a good overview of bodyweight strength training that should provide doorways for all, from beginner to advanced:
    http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/bodyweightfitness
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a few pairs of light dumbbells (4lb, 7lb, and 10lb) and I wanted to know if anyone knows of effective, great moves to use them with for upper and lower body strength training. I do the following moves without weights:

Tricep dips
    Triangle push ups
    Squats
    Lunges
    Plank
    Side Plank
    Regular push ups

Are there some good moves to do at home so I don't have to join up at a gym? I'm looking to cut and tone with strength training, if that makes any difference. I want to start incorporating strength 2-3 days a week and try to take care of upper and lower body in the same day.

With my dumbells at home I also do Overhead Press, Ticeps extension, Romanian deadlift, biceps curl, chest press, bent over row. I think when starting out, adding weight to any excercises you can do will increase your strength. Just important to keep the muscle groups working and guessing :) This might involve increasing weight after a while or finding some new ones. Good luck :)
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Burpees

Push-up jacks

Mountain Climbers

Squat Jumps

Globe Jumps

*Disclaimer - I LOVE PLYOS
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    you can try www.oxygenmag.com which has great moves in there. I buy the magazine and often find valuable tips and information on strength training moves as well as recipes. Also, if you like home dvd's, you can try Jillian Micheals 30 day Shred and Ripped in 30. I have both and they are wonderful for using these weights. Its best to start with the lower weight and as you gain strength you can use up to 5lbs. I'm currently using the 8lb ones, but some moves i have to drop back down to 5. Hope this helps
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Youtube the Spartacus workout. It is a great workout that uses a combination of dumbbell work and bodyweight exercises done in timed sets. Without heavier equipment I'd say it's the best you can get.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Get a doorway pullup bar or some other means to do pulling exercises. Those dumbbells are totally insufficient for pulling.

Here is a good overview of bodyweight strength training that should provide doorways for all, from beginner to advanced:
    http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/bodyweightfitness

Thanks Waldo56 - this link is fantastic. Enough to keep me quiet here for a lifetime! saved to laptop