Struggling to progress with C25K?

Options
13»

Replies

• JCulp19
    JCulp19 Posts: 82
    Options
    I just did well i should say attempted week 2 this morning. i had to take a few more walking breaks than mentioned but in the end i technically did all the running. I know with week 1 the first day i was so out of breath but by the end of the week i found it to actually be a little easy so im hoping by the end of week 2 it will seem easier as well. What i ended up doin was joggin for 1 minute take about 5-10 second rest and finish the last 30 seconds than do my two minute walk.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I definitely have breathing issues I try to take deep breaths as I end up breathing really shallow and thinking 'I cant breath!!'

Breathing was my issue in the beginning as well. Once I got the hang of it, everything else clicked. When my breathing gets off, my trick:

* Deep breath in through the mouth (3 seconds) - deep breath out though the mouth (3 seconds).
    * Always breathe through the mouth - you won't get enough oxygen if you breathe through your nose
    * Focus on posture, look up rather than down. Your breathing will improve
    * If you still have issues slow.it.down and repeat the breathing exercise. I still cannot complete the distance suggested by the C25K program in the timeframe given. And I've been running now for 6 years. You're not in competition with anyone but yourself.

Finally my last piece of advice, don't let the fact you *think* you can't advance to the next week stop you. You will surprise yourself - it's the nature of the C25K plan.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Apologies, but I'm in a rush.... I didn't read all of the other posts (some not all) but to the OP. People are right, stick with it even if that means repeating week 1 again. or as I'm doing, on week 2, do the week 2 set twice and then do the week 1 set once.... it's going to happen, but it takes a lot longer than we think to like running (for those of us who just arent into it).

I was feeling this way last night and had a workout class buddy offer to run with me. I was embarrassed at first because he and his wife run 10ks and half marathons and warrior dashes. I wanted to chicken out, but i didnt. He gave me some tips.... just keep going was the first one - second was that it takes a long time to get your breath down with your stride.. and even a while before that to get your stride just right so you strike the proper form and reduce pain/jarring/possible injury - third was to not push myself too hard... i never saw myself as a runner, but last night, i ran.

even if you run from one stop sign to the next, youre still running. it might not be pretty (it isnt pretty when i run, yet), but youre doing it. you will build stamina that you didnt even know you had.

Ya know, i hadnt really told anyone about this, but last night in my bootcamp class, we have to take the step aerobics stepbox and use it for box straddle jumps (stand on box, jump feet off to each side, jump feet back on and repeat for 1 minute). typically, i dont put any risers under my stepbox... last night, i did... and i jumped on and off that sucker for the entire minute. All 230+ lbs. of me... jumping.. for that long. That kind of stamina comes from running, I firmly believe that if I hadn't started C25k that I would have been too breathless to be able to do that.

Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • AllDayMzAmberJ
    AllDayMzAmberJ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else.. Just slow down. I started C25k multiple times and got bored with the program BUT, I regularly run 5ks as a daily workout...
    And like everyone else here, when I first started the 60 sec runs and 90 sec runs seemed like FOREVER.. but now, I don't even get warmed up and fall into a routine until after mile 1. So, it comes with time.

AND SLOW DOWN! I really didnt get that for a long time when trying to fall in 'like" with running, but now, I realize I can just slow down and fall into a pace that i feel like i can keep up forever.. Who cares if its a 10 min mile or 13 min mile, if I'm finishing miles and burning calories IM HAPPY!

Just stick with it. :)
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, just level 1 and 2, for about month when I realized I could easily run a mile. The cardio in 30DS had built up my aerobic endurance. I NEVER thought I could run, and my lungs used to scream in pain any time I tried. I ran that first mile in the end of August, and now I can run 5 miles without stopping. I am doing my second 5k this weekend. I'm not the fastest, but I don't care. I love finding that pace that feels like I could run forever, and that pace is not the same every day depending my run the day before, or other workouts that week. I still do 30DS, and it feels like perfect cross-training for running. You could still do c25k, and try 30DS on the days you don't feel like running. Or just do 30DS for a couple of weeks and then go back to c25k, I bet it will be MUCH easier!
  • ehmadore
    ehmadore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a super slow jogger. Most people walk as fast as my short chunky legs run. I'm currently the farthest I've ever been on C25K. The reason this time worked was because I didn't push myself for speed, worked at what was comfortable knowing I can work on endurance later. I redid weeks or sessions if I didn't feel I did them "right." I'm on week 7 but it's probably like week 12 in all actuality.

I just did a 25 minute straight job - that's amazing for me!! Sounds like you are running too fast. Slow down, get the time in then when you work up to 30 minutes you can work on speed.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    im on week four now but im repeating it again until i feel ready for week five,but i jog quite slowly just to get used to it,and dont run anywhere with hills,i did once and i said never again,dont give up,keep repeating it untill your ready x
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The biggest things I learned i the C25K are:

1) You are capable of more than you realize

2) Running is a head game - you will talk yourself into giving up long before your legs need to

This. I find my legs are telling me to quit, but I've plenty of wind left.

Same here. I'm on Week 6 of C25k- And when I was running yesterday, after running for a long period of time, I was telling myself "I don't know if I can keep running". Then I thought about it... were my legs too tired to keep moving? No. Were my lungs about to burst? No, actually my heart rate wasn't even that high. I realized I was psyching myself out and kept going.
    There's some great advise here. Another thing, what are you eating before you run? Its taken me awhile to find the right thing to eat beforehand.You need energy but you don't want a full tummy. I run in the morning and have a small window to complete the run. I'm hungry/low energy in the morning and need to eat first, but I don't have hours to let a big breakfast settle. I've found a half bagel, with tofutti cream cheese, cinnamon and banana slices to be just enough.
    *And I agree about building up endurance. I completed Jillian Michael's 90 Day Body Revolution program before I started. And I know I got stronger during that time.

So far I have been able to complete each week 'on schedule' but I have had to put the program on the back burner a couple times (first time I was sick, this second time is because I got a pinched sciatic nerve). So when I start back up, I go back a few days in the program and repeat. But I am addicted. I love to run and signed up for my first race.. its just a 4k, but its a 'beer run' so it'll be fun and a great intro before doing a 5k.
    Good luck.
  • judcost
    judcost Posts: 33 Member
    Options

2) Running is a head game - you will talk yourself into giving up long before your legs need to

Yeah this exactly. Your body is more capable than what your brain tells it. At week 4 i never tought i could do more. I never stopped and after each run i was like "Wow, i can do this". I did my first 5k non stop 8 weeks after starting C25K. I think you should just do it and get out of your confort zone. You can do it! Please don't give up!
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options

^ this
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know what you're going through, OP. But you can do it and it does get easier.

My story: I started back to the gym in Aug '11 and, in September, started a bootcamp class, added in some spin classes, and other cardio like kickboxing, etc. Started weight lifting at the same time and switched to lifting heavy in January '12. After some training, in July 2012, I biked back-to-back centuries for a total of 204 miles in 2 days. I regularly bike 30-40 miles. So I figured it was time to start running. I am struggling. Just couldn't push through it doing C25k on my own so I ended up joining a running group where people help encourage me to keep going.

It amazes me that I can do all those other things but running is still a struggle for me. Last night, I ran the farthest I have without stopping (1.7miles at the "speedy" pace of 18:49/mile). I think small children can walk faster. Heck, I can walk faster than I run. But I was running. I don't know if I could have done it without my running partner cheering me on.

Anyway, I don't have a good answer for you except to say that if you push through, you will eventually go farther. And I'm finding that I'm having to do positive affirmations for running (and I've never had to do that for other exercising before so this is surprising to me). I have to keep repeating the mantras "I love running" and "I run like the wind" and "running is fun" both when I'm running and at other times throughout the week to get my mind right. It truly does seem to be more of a mind over matter exercise than other types of exercising, imho.

Keep it up and, really, work on your mind and try to get a supportive running partner. Best wishes!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Advice that my dear husband gave me when I started running (and he had run a marathon so he would know) --relax into your run. It is amazing how much this has helped me. I used to tense up so much I got SUPER sore...if I remind myself to relax into it and not push, I do much better.
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just started retraining myself how to breathe. I've been working out hard at least 5 days a week since July and my leg muscles are awesome, but I would always cramp up or feel pain in my legs, because of my breathing. I started running trying to do it differently with the breathing from my diaphragm and it's so much better. Something to think about.
  • bara_rei
    Options
    I'm on Week 5 and I can say for certain that not only is it fine for you to repeat weeks, but that not everyone blows through it. I made it through Week 1 just fine, probably because I had just completed the 30 Day Shred, but after that, ugh. It sucked.
    Here are some things that helped me:
    -Sign up for a 5K. I did this at the start of my training program and it gave me the motivation to keep picking the program back up even if I skipped a few days here and there. I was only on W5 when I ran my first 5K last week, so I still have a ways to go. But it kept me motivated.
    -Good music. I can't even state how important this is! With good, uptempo music you can run farther than you thought you could. On days when I couldn't get reception in the gym for Pandora, I had horrible running days. Outside with my music? Better every time.
    -Run SLOWLY. And I mean very slowly. I had to teach myself that running isn't as fast or as hard as you can, it's finding a good pace and sticking with it. Once you find that happy spot, you can go a lot farther than if you're pushing so hard you're out of breath.
    Good luck and, please, coming from the girl who repeated W3 at least 2 1/2 weeks in a row, don't give up. It's totally worth it :)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Since starting Tae Kwon Do again and High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) I have found that my endurance has really improved meaning I can run for so much longer. I've done the C25K and I can't recomment it highly enough. As a previous poster said try some strength training because it may help. The thing to being successful with the C25K is starting it at your own pace and developing a technique that works for you. Do some research into running effectively and make sure you have a good stretch before you start running. Learn how to breathe when you run because a breathing pattern will really help you.

I hope this helps you can do it. It is all in the mind.:flowerforyou: