I can only eat 1200 calories because I am short

Options

Replies

• westonhive
    westonhive Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 and I eat between 1400-1200 calories a day, this is my 23rd day doing it. I am not starving, often times I am too full. So far I have lost 5 pounds, I walk ever other day and I work out once a week. I currently weight 208 and have a goal to get back to 130.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think age might matter here. When I was 20, I could eat anything I wanted without exercising and maintain. My metabolism has slowed down continually as I've gotten older. It sucks. :(
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I think age might matter here. When I was 20, I could eat anything I wanted without exercising and maintain. My metabolism has slowed down continually as I've gotten older. It sucks. :(

Yeah not trying to discredit the OP (she's awesome!) but somewhere around 22 I started gaining weight even though my diet hadn't changed since teenage years. Oh well. Also, lifting heavy is the biggest justification for a high calorie diet :)
  • sandra152
    Options
    I am 5 3 and on 1200 cals a day and go to the gym twice a week do sit ups at home in between and use an exersice bike I am losing on avarage 1 1b a week
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    Oddly enough... I'm 5' 1", 24 years old, started this whole thing at 240lbs, and haven't had too much of a problem aiming for 1200 a day (sure I go over some days but try not to go more than 1500 as SparkPeople suggested that be my upper limit for the range I should be in to lose weight.) I've lost 7lbs since starting to track what I eat, 5 of those after switching from SparkPeople to MyFitnessPal.

I rarely exercise. I TRY to go to the gym three times a week but lately that hasn't been working out (because video games are more fun.)

The only problems I'm having are now I really am starting to crave stuff that I shouldn't be eating. And it really bums me out. :(
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    This is definitely true for some people - I'm short and eat around 1500 to lose. But you are WAY more active than me ( and probably most people) I maybe workout an hour a day at best and there's no way I take 30000 steps - maybe 10000 and I'm a teacher, so on my feet for several hours a day, and I maintain at 2000. I don't think most people are this active, Americans have very sedentary lifestyles.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I should mention that I am not saying that everyone can eat like I do! More so just point out that if you are active, 1200 calories minimum just because you are short is not a good reason :flowerforyou:
  • ToughTulip
    Options
    This is definitely true for some people - I'm short and eat around 1500 to lose. But you are WAY more active than me ( and probably most people) I maybe workout an hour a day at best and there's no way I take 30000 steps - maybe 10000 and I'm a teacher, so on my feet for several hours a day, and I maintain at 2000. I don't think most people are this active, Americans have very sedentary lifestyles.

1500 is still a great amount! I have a job where I am walking a lot too.

Not saying that every can or should eat the same amount as me, but to eat to their own activity level. Which many short people I have noticed underestimate!
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    SergeantSunshine, you worked out 5 hours ? wow

Nope. Reread the post. Physical training yesterday, and I walk to campus, clean, etc
    Anything that is walking intensity or above gets counted as exercise.
    My actual time spent working out was about 1.5 hours (PT)
    Ok, got it. I didn't read it right the first :) You are a very active person, if I was that active, I would need more calories too :) But then again, I'm not in my 20's anymore :( I don't think I could keep up with you :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and probably less active than sunshine but I also eat quite a bit--at least 1800 TO LOSE-- and 1200 would seriously HURT. I'd be miserable and undernourished and I couldn't workout. I know not everyone is active but being short and overweight means you're likely burning more calories than you think. Caloric requirements are primarily a byproduct of total mass and not necessarily height--the two are merely correlated--also more LEAN mass = higher metabolic rate as well. I generally suggest that most people TRY at least 1500 and give it some time.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Ditto! I am only 5'2 and eating 2000 calories a day to lose 1lb a week.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    True. I am 5' 2.5" and maintaining at 115-119 lb. I don't log, I eat pretty much what I like (3 proper meals a day plus snacks), I drink beer (and wine), I run 3-4 times a week. Life is good.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I remember you from my post about this! :) Thanks for bringing this up, it's an issue that seriously needs to be addressed on here.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm only eating 1200 calories a day; even MFP put me at 1220 to loose 2lb per week based on my age ect.

In my 20's I could have lost weight on 2500 calories a day.
  • Ann1964x
    Options
    Glad this works for you, but I am 48 & gain over 1400 calories a day. I am active too.
  • ToughTulip
    Options
    Glad this works for you, but I am 48 & gain over 1400 calories a day. I am active too.

Even at 48 you can certainly eat more than 1400 with out gaining fat.
    There is no way that is a surplus for most people unless you are in bed all day
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Actually, someone my exact size but 48 years old would have a sedentary TDEE of 1494.

EDIT: Obvs that means she can maintain over 1400, but it's a super technical point to make and I just wanted to point out that she's not all THAT far off. If by active she means she does 20 min of elliptical a day, she could still gain on 1700.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I completely disagree.

I gained 4 stone (about 50 or 60lbs) in the two years between being 17 and 19!

If you eat junk and don't exercise, it catches up, no matter what age you are...if you are repeatedly in a caloric surplus you'll gain.

I HATE when older people say to me 'Yeah, WAIT til you get older! You wont have that fast metabolism any more!'

LOL bull****.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    ...also, I LOVE this post, Sunshine! You're so right! I'm almost at my ultimate goal weight and I'm eating way more than any 'diet' would ever recommend :smile:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I am 30, 5' tall and eat 2,000+ a day. I didn't even realize how many calories I could eat until I bought a BodyMedia Fit. Most of my Moderate activity is from living every day life. I walk to the train, take the stairs, walk to whatever restaurant my meeting is at, cook, etc.

Yesterday's stats (rest day):

Burned: 2226
    Consumed: 2732 (trying to gain)
    Moderate Activity: 04:08
    Vigorous: 00:29
    Steps: 15,385
    Sleep: 5:17

Sunday's stats (lifting day):

Burned: 2530
    Consumed: 2692 (trying to gain)
    Moderate Activity: 05:29
    Vigorous: 00:48
    Steps: 19,258
    Sleep: 5:07

Even though I am trying to gain weight, it's taken me 2 months to gain 2 pounds.