STRETCH MARKS!!!!

Efthimia
Efthimia Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi Everyone! I am really new to this site and am just learning how it works! Quick question - I have gained 40 pounds just in the last year and 60 total in the last 3 years and I've noticed that I have stretch marks :( When I lose weight will I lose them too or are they there forever now?
I am hoping to lose 60 pounds by August. I'm going to the gym 6X a week and just trying to watch what I'm eating! Has anyone else lost 60 pounds in 7 months? Am I being to unrealistic??

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    I lost 50 lbs. and still had them. I'd say they became a little lighter/less noticeable, but still there. From what I hear, there is really no way to get rid of them.
  • Stretch marks are essentially scars, caused by skin ripping when it stretches too far. I have a bunch of stretch marks from when I was pregnant, and am sad to say, they will be with me forever. They will get lighter and thinner (usually they're kind of raised and red at first), so they will end up like little silvery-white lines on your skin. They also are less noticeable when you tan, they say--not that I'm promoting going out and getting a bunch of sun cancer, just thought I'd mention it. Not sure if it works with fake tans...hmm... Anyway, good luck with your goal and sorry to report bad news.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    It's a pretty ambitious goal; 7 months is roughly 29 weeks, so you're looking at more than 2lbs per week. It would be unrealistic for me, but everybody is different. Nothing wrong with trying!
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    MY COWORKER WAS OVERWEIGHT AND LOST 80 IN 7 MONTHS SHE LIVED AT THE GYM....YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU SET YOUR MIND TOO JUST BE SAFE AND HEALTHY!
  • justsalad
    justsalad Posts: 132 Member
    I JUSTTTT started a thread today with the exact same title haha, go search it if you can, lots of helpful tips there of things to do to deal with them! :)
    Accctually here's the link!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/77604-stretch-marks
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    60 lbs in 7 months?

I'm going to be brutally honest here with you, that will be very difficult. It's very aggressive. Can it be done? Yes, most certainly. Is it easy? No, that's a lot of weight to lose.

Now, if you were to add just 1 or 2 more months onto that goal, then I'd say "sure, that's reasonable". Remember, at the beginning, yeah you will probably be able to lose 2 or even 3 lbs a week for a while, but as you lose the weight, it becomes harder to lose weight, near the end you'll probably be doing 1/2 to 1/4 lb a week.

In order to do it, you'll have to change everything, pretty much your whole lifestyle, how you eat, what you eat, when you eat, how you workout...

As to the stretch marks, yep, they can fade with age, good nutrition, and skin care, but short of surgery, they won't ever go away completely(they are scars).

Anyway, best luck to you. I hope you succeed.

-Banks
This discussion has been closed.