Longer-term couch to 5k idea. Thoughts?

Options
So I've lost 60 pounds but C25K is still something I just can't seem to get through. I even built up to it before the last try. So I'm going to try a 6 month(ish) version.

Using traditional C25K 9 week plan I will do

Week 1 for 5 weeks
Week 2 for 4 weeks
Week 3 for 3 weeks
Week 4 for 2 weeks
Week 5 and on one week each

That plan is 19 weeks, so it leave two weeks of wiggle room if something else has to get repeated. I think this plan will work for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Any advice?

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    No... Its not the amount of time that you do it. Its doing it until you can do it.

So you do week 1...If you finish week 1 and were able to do all the runs without walking to a satisfactory level then you move to week 2. You never move to the progressive week until the previous week is completed successfully. Re do the previous week until success.

No need to alter it with set time frames. Follow the above. The program works.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/conservative_program.htm

They have what's called a "conservative" program outlined. 7 month plan, 1st month is all walking. Sounds like you are past month one already, so it might be perfect for you.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I think you are absolutely on the right track to modify C25k to meet your individual needs. I also agree with the previous poster that setting time frames for each stage isn't necessary. You'll probably find that your body acclimates to stage 1 in a lot less than 5 weeks. If that is the case, move on to stage 2 when stage 1 is less of a challenge. For me it was harder to progress towards the end of the program and I ended up repeating weeks at the end more than in the beginning. Do what works for you, but don't feel like you have to stay at a certain level for a specific duration and don't feel like you've failed if you have to stay at a certain level longer than planned. Listen to your body.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    The key is to push your body out of its comfort zone 3 times per week. Like MD says, if you can do something comfortably, it's time to move forward.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kismet_35
    Kismet_35 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    No... Its not the amount of time that you do it. Its doing it until you can do it.

So you do week 1...If you finish week 1 and were able to do all the runs without walking to a satisfactory level then you move to week 2. You never move to the progressive week until the previous week is completed successfully. Re do the previous week until success.

I agree 100% with this! I got through it. Some weeks I had to do twice but I eventually did it. I finished in July and am still running.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options

^^^^
    this

I'm on week 5 and shocked myself by running the full 20 minutes! Keep at it and you will get there. But if you don't enjoy it, there is no need to keep doing it. Also you might want to check out the book Slow Burn by Stu Mittleman.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im considering inventing a couch to tough mudder as that seems like what Im probably about to do
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you never push beyond your comfort zone you'll never get out of your comfort zone. If it takes more than a week to accomplish week one so be it but as soon as you can do that move on. Also, expect to have to push yourself to break through to the next level. If you keep doing Week 1 without extra effort you won't improve.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Lots of good advice. Another thought.....slow down! Make sure that you aren't trying to go too fast! If you are using an app on your smart phone, aim for a 15 minute mile when doing the running portions.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. Another thought.....slow down! Make sure that you aren't trying to go too fast! If you are using an app on your smart phone, aim for a 15 minute mile when doing the running portions.

This is exactly it... I've thought for a long time that the following should apply to C25K:

Rule 1: Slow down!
    Rule 2: If you are struggling with a run, see rule 1.

As long as you are running (i.e. being airborn with no feet on the ground part of your stride, and never having both feet on the ground at the same time) there is no such thing as running too slow for C25K. If you are having a tough time physically keeping up, try to slow down.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    to add...There was one week of C25K that took me 3 weeks of repeating.
  • RabecaR
    RabecaR Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you want to make it a little funner, try "zombies run" app.!
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump

I found an article the other day that is a similar program as C25k just in different intervals and a little longer. I am at work now and the article is at home so I will try my hardest to remember to find it and post it for you. There is no right or wrong way but this plan may and may not appeal to you better than C25k.
  • crowyhead
    Options

YES! THIS.

I can still almost walk faster than I run (I'm at a 13.5 minute mile at this point) but I'm not burning myself out. When I started out I was going too fast, and ended up with shin splints for my trouble. I know the whole thing about how you should be able to carry on a conversation while you're running seems absolutely ridiculous, but you really do want to go very slow.
  • ambate2
    ambate2 Posts: 61
    Options
    Take however long you need!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!
    I know I didn't feel comfortable w/ doing it in 9 weeks. As long as you take it at your own pace yet still challenge yourself, you're on the right track. Do you have a running partner? I know having a running partner helped me over my 30 min hurdle (i'd be done w/in 30 min even though i didn't run 5k). She'd make me go for 35 min, and then, i finally was able to do my first 5k run around my town in 43ish min. Just did my first 5k race and finished 35:56.