Nutrition / tips for splitting nails

2»

Replies

• stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Nailtiques Formula 2 Plus works amazingly well. Can find it at most drug stores.

i love that stuff! its expensive in the uk, but worth every penny as i can totally tell the difference when i dont use it regularly!

I swear by it :) It has made a huge difference. I actually have to cut my nails back because they grow too much lol!
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Be careful with Biotin. It makes a lot of people break out.

How much Biotin are those who found success with it taking? I cut my pill in half and still broke out like crazy, which I never do!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Gelatin, lots and lots of sugar free gelatin. I started back on my diet the beginning of May. I started eating lots of sugar free gelatin every day to satisfy my desire for sweets and desserts. My nails no longer split and peel. They actually grow beyond an 1/8 of an inch without splitting in the quick. I started noticing the difference after about 2 months. They are fantastic now (as long as I don't jam them against something and break them). If you don't like prepared gelatin you can buy unflavored gelatin packs, mix it with cold water and drink it down.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    take Biotin 1000 mcg supplements- work great for hair and nails :)

also Burts Bees has an ointment to rub into your nail and cuticle bed that helps greatly too!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    1st Step ProWellness (look it up online) makes a hair and nail suppliment. I've found that with a pretty balanced diet I don't have an issue with my nails splitting anymore, However, that may have more to do with something that my food changes have incorporated into my diet on a regular basis too. I'd always heard that eating gelatin is good for nails.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    I have the same problem. Biotin did nothing for me. Get a shellac manicure from a nail salon. It's not acrylic or gel overylay - so there's no damage to the nails. I've seen HUGE improvements with shellac.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    biotin ......works wonders...been doing it forever. Never had nails and now I do...great stuff. My doctor told me to take it and what your body doesn't need it gets rid off....
  • JenNuma
    JenNuma Posts: 52 Member
    Lots of good ideas here!
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Be careful with Biotin. It makes a lot of people break out.

How much Biotin are those who found success with it taking? I cut my pill in half and still broke out like crazy, which I never do!

Luckily haven't had this issue, so sorry to hear you have! The biotin I take is the 600% rda one and the hair, skin and nail supplement I take has different ammounts of different supplements - both are from Holland and Barrett,