Night Runners

Options
What is your "must have" gear for nighttime running?

I ran last night from 7pm-8pm. I did wear my long-sleeved running shirt which has 2 reflective strips on the back. Other than that, the only thing that made me visible was my iPhone strapped on my arm with my armband. I kept the display lit the entire time. I still didn't feel very visible to traffic.

Daylight savings time will be here soon, and it will be dark by 4:30pm. This means a lot of dark/night running. So share with me your favorite night time running gear, and where to get it.

Thanks!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too. I run in a park, so being visible isn't my issue...but that means there aren't any street lights. I think I need a head lamp!
  • jojo98mu
    jojo98mu Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I wear a headlamp, they are very inexpensive, about $15. I turn on the red light at dusk and once it gets darker I switch to the white light and point it at the ground in front of me. I got my headlamnp at Kohls last year around Christmas but I saw one at AutoZone the other day, it was also $15. You won't even feel it on your head if you wear it with a hat.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I'm a day runner myself. But, I have to chime in on this thread because we just moved to an area with a buttload of night runners. I go to school twice a week and don't get home until dark. It never fails, I see runner shadows in the nick of time. Many of them wear ALL black. Wtf? If you run at night wear something visible-- please. Academy has some great reflective clothing.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My Brooks hi-viz running jacket, bought from Sports Shoes dot com a couple of weeks ago. Very visible, breathable and comfortable to boot. Oh, and a group of other people whenever possible; a load of ladies in luminous pink and yellow stand out more than a lone bod.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    For night running on roads I personally believe a small blinking LED light that's clipped to your body is a must to be sure that cars see you from a long way off. If you want to be able to see the road in front of you then a hat with a bill to block car headlights and a headlamp work well.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    ...a hat with a bill to block car headlights...

Oh cool, that's a great suggestion.

Here's a runners headlamp I'm contemplating (the guy on leadfeet.com recommended it in an interview):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DQZ7WY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&smid=A2Y00PJ965TIMN

Anyone have experience to comment on whether it's worth the $40-60 to get a runner's headlamp like this, or is the $15 camper's headlamp mentioned earlier just as easy-on-the-head?
  • jojo98mu
    jojo98mu Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @robpett2001, I've been using the a regular head lamp for years, if you are wearing at hat you dont even feel it, so I wouldn't spend the extra money.

The one I use looks almost exactly like this...http://www.amazon.com/Energizer®-7-LED-Industrial-Headlight/dp/B00352O79U/ref=sr_1_22?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1351024942&sr=1-22.

I have used this headlamp, with a hat, through two Ragnar Relays, it worked great, save your money.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I do the majority of my running in the dark, even in the summer. For $5 at most big box stores you can get what I call a "City Worker Guy" Vest, and while you're at said big box store you can get a decent headlamp for $15. I wear this stuff when I'm running on the road with traffic. Most of the time I run on a paved trail and just wear something light in color, and ditch headlamp if I'm familiar with the trail. If on an unpaved trail I absolutly use the headlamp.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I would like something reflective; I run in the morning when it's still dark. I don't want a whole vest though, but if it were weighted, that'd be good ...
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Unfortunately, the darkness, for me, means hitting my treadmill for the season...gotta do what ya gotta do! Good luck! :drinker:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I run at 5 AM when it's pitch black. I have a reflective vest that I wear over a light colored shirt. I also have a finger flash light (4 pack at Sears) that I wear just for visibility. I also have a blinker, but haven't found a decent place to clip it yet where it doesn't fall off.
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I generally rely on my glowy white stomach between my sports bra and my shorts to make me visible ;)

In all seriousness... usually I make sure my shirt is white and I'm wearing my bright blue running shorts. As long as I'm not wearing any black, I've had no trouble being seen. Good luck!
  • josh0403
    josh0403 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've got a pair of Knuckle Lights that I use which work great.
    http://www.knucklelights.com/

Also I usally clip a small flashing LED to the back waistband (I think it's Nathan brand).
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Headlamp (I like Black Diamond and Petzl)
    Reflective Clothing
    Pepper Spray

Look for a local running store and I'm sure they'd love to show you what gear works best for what you need. Enjoy!
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    What is your "must have" gear for nighttime running?

I ran last night from 7pm-8pm. I did wear my long-sleeved running shirt which has 2 reflective strips on the back. Other than that, the only thing that made me visible was my iPhone strapped on my arm with my armband. I kept the display lit the entire time. I still didn't feel very visible to traffic.

Daylight savings time will be here soon, and it will be dark by 4:30pm. This means a lot of dark/night running. So share with me your favorite night time running gear, and where to get it.

Thanks!

a good mosquito repellent always helps here in TX.
  • dani731
    dani731 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Reflective laces http://www.roadid.com/Common/LearnMore.aspx?PID=8

They have a few other visibility items that would work http://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=Firefly#8
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Ipod connected by an arm band, and my asp.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I never used to give this any thought at all until I was driving home one night and a runner on the side of the road SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!

I didn't hit her or even come close but good grief...

Now I try to wear some kind of reflective material. If nothing else then to save drivers from having heart attacks.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    We have street light every where so, it't not too dark. Shorts and a hoodie for clothing :)
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump :drinker: