Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I Had My BMR Tested - It's 1032 Calories

18910111214»

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    I've had terrible struggles losing the weight I gained while pregnant with my 2 kids. I'm talking losing half or less of what I'm "supposed" to based on my calorie deficits - assuming the online calculators are correct.. And not just over the course of a couple of weeks, I'm talking over the course of a year. I assumed that something was metabolically wrong. I had my thyroid tested and received normal results. I then had my RMR tested (which I know is slightly different from BMR). I was told that it was 1960 at 218lbs and 5'5.5", which is between 150 and 250 calories/day over what the online calculators give me and listed as "above average." My jaw almost hit the floor.

So, while I've tried upping calories in the past, it's usually been from, like, 1360 to 1500 or something. I'm going to give 1750 a whirl, I just got done with week 1 (which I don't really count since I ate a bunch of junk the week before I started and put on several pounds so I had quite a bit of water to lose). We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll even go up to BMR.

Anyway, moral of the story is, just because you're not losing don't assume that your BMR/RMR is way lower than you think. If you're that concerned, go get it tested.
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    bump
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    Hey all! I just wanted to share a response I gave to a personal message I recieved from someone about this topic. Having a 'slow' metabolism isn't necessarily a bad thing!!!!

No problem. Yes, it's a shame that people think that can eat so much and get away with it. As the saying goes, 'you can't have your cake and eat it to.'

From a longevity standpoint, the less you eat the longer you live. So those few 'lucky' individuals who can eat significant amounts of food and still lose weight due to a fast metabolism, they don't realize that the faster your metabolism, the faster you age.

Being able to eat a lot and not gain a pound is a sign that you're on the fast track to the grave. An extreme example of this would be people with wasting syndromes like advanced stage AIDS or those going through chemotherapy; they can eat 3000+ calories a day and still lose a good percentage of their weight each day because they are on their death bed.

Another good example is celebrities. I was fortunate enough to actually go see the golden globe awards my senior year of high school and I was pretty shocked. Actors and actresses may look pretty average on tv or the big screen, but in person they look unbelievably thin and hungry. The camera truly adds 10+ pounds, so it should come as no surprise that celebrities nearly starve themselves for their career, and yet, they look phenomenal late into their 80's. Most people assume its because they can afford expense anti aging treatments or that its simply a Hollywood stage effect, but in fact, it's because they eat very little.

When you eat less food your body experiences a degree of hibernation, much like a bear hibernating through the winter. Thanks to a survival mechanism, when the body senses that food is scarce it slows down nearly every process to keep you alive (including reproduction, which is why some women lose their periods when extremely isocaloric) until there is more food available again. That also explains why when people go on a starvation diet and then resume normal eating they gain back all the weight, and then some; their body is fighting for their survival.

Losing weight is one thing, but looking haggard, drawn out, and 20+ years older than you actually are is another. People with slower metabolisms who keep their weight in check age better and live significantly longer; and that's a FACT.

The only down side I find to having a sluggish metabolism is the fact that I have to keep my eating in check, but at the same time it's a good thing as well. Knowing that I'm predisposed to gaining weight if left unchecked, I'm extremely vigilant about keeping a food diary, and therefore, more on top of any changes occurring in my body. I will never be one of those people who wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and say, 'what happened?' I'm always one step ahead of the game and am less likely to be one of those people who simply 'let themselves go' thanks to that nagging little voice in my head that keeps reminding me I have a slow metabolism.

So if I had to choose between having a fast metabolism and a sluggish one, I would choose the sluggish one, hands down. That way, when I'm 80, I can still run the Boston marathon in a sports bra looking sexy, while those 'lucky' few with the fast metabolisms can roll along beside me in their wheelchairs looking like their waiting at deaths door ;)

and THIS ^ deserves a thread of its own, because it is bloody interesting to say the least!!!

I like the way you write OP, seriously intriguing subjects!! :flowerforyou:
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    very good read indeed, we gotta keep reminding folks that online calculators are just estimates.

be diligent at calorie tracking for a couple of months in order to have your own data, then extrapolate your own TDEE from your own data, then adjust accordingly
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Hey all! I just wanted to share a response I gave to a personal message I recieved from someone about this topic. Having a 'slow' metabolism isn't necessarily a bad thing!!!!

No problem. Yes, it's a shame that people think that can eat so much and get away with it. As the saying goes, 'you can't have your cake and eat it to.'

From a longevity standpoint, the less you eat the longer you live. So those few 'lucky' individuals who can eat significant amounts of food and still lose weight due to a fast metabolism, they don't realize that the faster your metabolism, the faster you age.

Being able to eat a lot and not gain a pound is a sign that you're on the fast track to the grave. An extreme example of this would be people with wasting syndromes like advanced stage AIDS or those going through chemotherapy; they can eat 3000+ calories a day and still lose a good percentage of their weight each day because they are on their death bed.

Another good example is celebrities. I was fortunate enough to actually go see the golden globe awards my senior year of high school and I was pretty shocked. Actors and actresses may look pretty average on tv or the big screen, but in person they look unbelievably thin and hungry. The camera truly adds 10+ pounds, so it should come as no surprise that celebrities nearly starve themselves for their career, and yet, they look phenomenal late into their 80's. Most people assume its because they can afford expense anti aging treatments or that its simply a Hollywood stage effect, but in fact, it's because they eat very little.

When you eat less food your body experiences a degree of hibernation, much like a bear hibernating through the winter. Thanks to a survival mechanism, when the body senses that food is scarce it slows down nearly every process to keep you alive (including reproduction, which is why some women lose their periods when extremely isocaloric) until there is more food available again. That also explains why when people go on a starvation diet and then resume normal eating they gain back all the weight, and then some; their body is fighting for their survival.

Losing weight is one thing, but looking haggard, drawn out, and 20+ years older than you actually are is another. People with slower metabolisms who keep their weight in check age better and live significantly longer; and that's a FACT.

The only down side I find to having a sluggish metabolism is the fact that I have to keep my eating in check, but at the same time it's a good thing as well. Knowing that I'm predisposed to gaining weight if left unchecked, I'm extremely vigilant about keeping a food diary, and therefore, more on top of any changes occurring in my body. I will never be one of those people who wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and say, 'what happened?' I'm always one step ahead of the game and am less likely to be one of those people who simply 'let themselves go' thanks to that nagging little voice in my head that keeps reminding me I have a slow metabolism.

So if I had to choose between having a fast metabolism and a sluggish one, I would choose the sluggish one, hands down. That way, when I'm 80, I can still run the Boston marathon in a sports bra looking sexy, while those 'lucky' few with the fast metabolisms can roll along beside me in their wheelchairs looking like their waiting at deaths door ;)

Wow, there are so many generalizations in this it's not funny.

There is a huge difference between having a fast metabolism vs having a huge TDEE. Many people can eat 3000+ calories because they burn a lot of calories, not because their metabolic rate is extremely fast. Also, there is absolutely NO way you can compare an actor or actress to a normal personal. Many of them drink, do drugs or abuse their bodies in ways many of us would never dream of.... Charlie Sheen is a great example. Additionally, you can't compare a person with an illness to a healthy person. When your sick, your bodies metabolism increases naturally to fight the infection. Then you add in complication with medications that have a huge list of side effects.

Now, I have seen some of the data on a possible link between living longer and a slower metabolism but even with that data, it's suggest a possible link. I can bet you will see a study out there to suggest opposite. Just look at the fight if eggs are good or bad.... keeping in mind that genetics play a huge role in life spam.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    BUMP for the inevitable debate! :tongue:

Yup. I'm expecting this.

Here are my predictions:

1. The tests where in accurate (even though they were take multiple times in a university hospital).
    2. I am a freak of nature (yes I have narcolepsy, but I was told, MORE THAN ONCE, that my BMR is what was expected).
    3. "Me, my mom, dad, brother, sister's boyfriend, and the neighbor's dog all lost weight by eating more." - The usual battery of anecdotal evidence.

I'm going to say it has something to do with the Narcolepsy. REM sleep is the deep/ calm sleep right? If you toss and turn a lot it would be higher right??

The suggestions to get a HRM..... The HRM goes by averages so it would probably be high in your case too.
  • __Di__
    BUMP for the inevitable debate! :tongue:

Yup. I'm expecting this.

Here are my predictions:

1. The tests where in accurate (even though they were take multiple times in a university hospital).
    2. I am a freak of nature (yes I have narcolepsy, but I was told, MORE THAN ONCE, that my BMR is what was expected).
    3. "Me, my mom, dad, brother, sister's boyfriend, and the neighbor's dog all lost weight by eating more." - The usual battery of anecdotal evidence.

I'm going to say it has something to do with the Narcolepsy. REM sleep is the deep/ calm sleep right? If you toss and turn a lot it would be higher right??

The suggestions to get a HRM..... The HRM goes by averages so it would probably be high in your case too.

HRMs do not work accurately if worn all day or at night during sleep, they are meant for cardio workouts, even the HRM manufacturers will say the same.
  • __Di__
    This makes a lot of sense. When I started reading all the stuff about TDEE -20% and needing to eat more (or else!!) I freaked out and upped my calories. Well I've since then hit a plateau. . Lol

Eta: I upped my calories according to an online tdee calculator.

What are you going to do, are you going too lower the cals now?
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Very interesting info...
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Very interesting info...

I have lost and gained 5 pounds 6-8 months ago consuming 1500-1700 for a 40 yo 5’1 previous weight 110 fairly active. Finally, I decided to gain knowledge on metabolism and learned that I should not be eating more than 1050 calories to lose a pound a week. I did an experiment 2 months ago with my calories and dipped down 900-1000 calories fluctuating several days, some semi-fasting no more than 1200, creating my 3500 deficit a week. My results, I am now 104 lbs and have lost 3 lbs for the month of May and 3 lbs for the month of June. I joined this website to lose 10 lbs I gained over a year and a half. I finally figure out my deficit, AFTER a year in MFP. These couple months, I have been successful and I am happy to see results of someone who has REAL KNOWLEDGE of BMR Tested. You rock!! I thank you very much CATindeeHAT!!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Bump ! Man, this is a good one ! Very interesting.