I Had My BMR Tested - It's 1032 Calories

Options

Replies

• CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options

I have been tracking for a year now and I know for a fact that I burn less calories to survive than others with my stats. I know my BMR is about 300 calories less than the calculators say it is. I found this from keeping a spreadsheet of calories in vs calories out, with every device I could find...HRM...food scale...etc...and if I added 300 calories per day to my food...my weight loss equaled my deficit perfectly over that time. So this makes total sense to me.

This is a FANTASTIC idea. Thank you!
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Great post!
    I had mine tested over a year ago. It was very informative. If I listened to MFP I would be starving. Everyone is different. I hope your post encourages people to get correct medical advice and not use a standard chart for their caloric intake.
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options
    I hope your post encourages people to get correct medical advice and not use a standard chart for their caloric intake.

Amen. :)
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Very interesting and thank you for sharing. My only question would be is did they take into consideration getting you up every 4 hours to walk on the treadmill? If they had let you alone and let you sleep, I would think it would be easier to calculate your BRM. With waking you up and making you walk, you would think that would throw your count off a little!

Thanks again for posting!

That's why they tested me right when I woke up and again right before I went to sleep again, after walking on the treadmill. They did this several times to get an average in an attempt to rule out any extremes.
    Thank you and good luck on your fitness journey!:flowerforyou:
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options
    Very interesting and thank you for sharing. My only question would be is did they take into consideration getting you up every 4 hours to walk on the treadmill? If they had let you alone and let you sleep, I would think it would be easier to calculate your BRM. With waking you up and making you walk, you would think that would throw your count off a little!

Thanks again for posting!

That's why they tested me right when I woke up and again right before I went to sleep again, after walking on the treadmill. They did this several times to get an average in an attempt to rule out any extremes.
    Thank you and good luck on your fitness journey!:flowerforyou:

Thanks lady!!!!

You as well! :flowerforyou:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    losing 1 pound a week would be simply unfeasible for someone with a TDEE of 1651

err, why ? 1651 - 500 = 1151 if you subscribe to 3500 cals per pound.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    This is interesting =) thanks for sharing!
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The thing that worries me about posts like this is the responses like "wow, thanks for this post", you do realise that some people reading this are at their wits end wondering why 1200 isn't helping them to lose weight and after seeing this could drop their calories lower?
    Like you said this is what works for you, but probably not for the majority. I can't understand why you would feel the need to broadcast this to generally impressionable people? It's not like you need to justify what works for you, just get on and do it.
    ETA: I think the majority of the MFP population would know what works and what doesn't, but maybe not everyone, didn't mean to offend!

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was reading this post. People seem to be overjoyed at the fact that suddenly there's a reason for their 1200 calorie diets not working and dropping their calories even more!!

There's also all kinds of things that can affect BMR as it is in effect a measurement of your metabolism. If you were dieting or on a severely restrictive diet before this, it could have slowed this right down - also if you are on some medication, it tends to really affect it. If you were there for other tests, it's likely that you were on medication which could yield some "interesting" results.
  • Keltinator
    Options
    This was a really interesting post! I'm surprised that there wasn't a huge debate about it... not that there should have been. I'm fairly short (5'3") and if I were to eat 2000 calories like the government says I can, my weight would skyrocket!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

I would imagine havin such a number will help you dial into your needs and make your efforts more effective.
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options

There's also all kinds of things that can affect BMR as it is in effect a measurement of your metabolism. If you were dieting or on a severely restrictive diet before this, it could have slowed this right down - also if you are on some medication, it tends to really affect it. If you were there for other tests, it's likely that you were on medication which could yield some "interesting" results.

Thank you for demonstrating that you did NOT actually read the original post.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I guess all i would say is why don't people just play around with their calories and figure out if they're losing weight. I lost 60 pounds in the past before people even used the internet and/or talked about BMR. We just did it the old fashioned way: SWAG (scientific wild-*kitten* guess).
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    NO YOU'LL STARVE TO DEATH IMMEDIATELY ON 1200 CALORIES!! LIFT STEAMSHOVELS AND EAT 4000 CALORIES A DAY IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO SURVIVE

Just kidding. Finding out your BMR is so low must really suck. But at the same time it's kind of nice to have a scientifically calculated number, for most of us it's a guess at best. Thanks for sharing that info with us.

I think the reason there hasn't been much debate is the fact that you have Science on your side, which most of us fear
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

I would imagine havin such a number will help you dial into your needs and make your efforts more effective.

Exactly! I feel as if I have a better grasp on things now. Like I just got introduced to my own body :smile:
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options
    I guess all i would say is why don't people just play around with their calories and figure out if they're losing weight. I lost 60 pounds in the past before people even used the internet and/or talked about BMR. We just did it the old fashioned way: SWAG (scientific wild-*kitten* guess).

LMAO :laugh:

I love this.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I had mine tested (I breathed into a mask for 20-30 minutes) and it was remarkably close to your number, a little higher. I was advised to try to net about 1350 calories a day if I wanted to lose weight. Now that I'm lifting and exercising more, I try to net 1600, but I'm not losing any pounds... just gaining muscle.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I had mine tested (I breathed into a mask for 20-30 minutes) and it was remarkably close to your number, a little higher. I was advised to try to net about 1350 calories a day if I wanted to lose weight. Now that I'm lifting and exercising more, I try to net 1600, but I'm not losing any pounds... just gaining muscle.

Can I ask where you got this done and what prompted it? I guess some sports medicine clinics will do it but I haven't found one
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options
    NO YOU'LL STARVE TO DEATH IMMEDIATELY ON 1200 CALORIES!! LIFT STEAMSHOVELS AND EAT 4000 CALORIES A DAY IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO SURVIVE

Just kidding. Finding out your BMR is so low must really suck. But at the same time it's kind of nice to have a scientifically calculated number, for most of us it's a guess at best. Thanks for sharing that info with us.

I think the reason there hasn't been much debate is the fact that you have Science on your side, which most of us fear

Lol if I ate 4000 calories a day I would have a perma food-baby.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Cool, I think that's what a lot of people need to here. 1200 a day for us ladies is a good goal to shoot for. You can lose weight on it and not starve yourself.
    Good luck, now I want to get mine tested. I'm way older than you so I bet my BMR is something like "12"! ;-0