please dont tear me a new one... just a question...

Options

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Sugar makes your pancreas work harder. Then it raises your glucose. Then it wears of and your blood sugar crashes and you feel hypoglycemic or hungry and eat again....

Avoid sugar, after a week you wont miss it. What worked for me was focusing on what I want, which is to be less fat, rather than obsessing over the sugar I am giving up.

My hubby just lost 70lbs doing this. I decided to join him 2 days ago~

hmmmmm.... sometimes i swear im hypoglycemic. and it seems im ALWAYS hungry. thanks for that input.

Eat high in protein....try to get 1g per pound of lean body weight, you will notice the hunger issues being less, most likely(protein takes longer to digest).

PERFECT! and whatever my body doesnt use in protein it will just "get rid of." right? ;)

Yes
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My sugars are usually always over too but I figure it's kinda okay.. cuz it's not like I'm getting them from really bad sources. I focuz on Cals, Protein, Fiber, Sodium and Fat :) GL
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    IMO sugar is something you should avoid. I can give you answers to this if you like?

Too much sugar is as bad as too much sodium, this will probably start a flame war with some of the bodybuilder types on here, but as a female and you are wanting to lose weight, then it is an important part of your diet!

i always wondered if men and women varied in that regard...

i know i crave the HECK out of it a certain week out of the month! LOL

I hope you don`t mind but can I pm you tomorrow with the sugar thing?? You are welcome to post on here what I have said to you, but I am hoping it will help you??
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I get that.....but sodium has no effect on fat loss....only water retention. dietary fat doesn't make you fat........and potassium is no more special than any other micronutrients.

***The sodium statement is true. The potassium statement is not.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/444817-does-potassium-aid-in-weight-loss/

Potassium is VERY important and I try to get in as much as I can, although it CAN be a struggle.
    [/quote]

Perhaps you should read the article you linked then...because it isn't that important, directly...
    Although potassium can help your muscles stay healthy, allowing you to burn more calories, potassium will not result in weight loss on its own.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I get that.....but sodium has no effect on fat loss....only water retention. dietary fat doesn't make you fat........and potassium is no more special than any other micronutrients.[/quote]

Potassium is VERY important and I try to get in as much as I can, although it CAN be a struggle.
    [/quote]

potassium repairs muscles... right?
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I get that.....but sodium has no effect on fat loss....only water retention. dietary fat doesn't make you fat........and potassium is no more special than any other micronutrients.

FTR, I track sodium (NA) and potassium (K) because I've had issues this year with wide swings in BP. As recently as this summer I had BP in the Stage 1 HT range, bordering on S2. As recently as 2 weeks ago, I regularly had dramatically low BP for several hours after cardio (e.g. 85/59). Working with my doc and monitoring those has me now averaging 110s/60s-70s regardless of time or activity level. So yeah, most people probably don't need to track K, but I do.

I'd track NA regardless because:
    1) Unlike many other macros, you can't increase your RDA with exercise, etc. (I'd love to 'earn' an extra 1000mg from cardio!)
    2) The high amounts found most everywhere in the everyday American diet (baked goods, processed/fast foods, etc.)
    3) HBP rates among the gen-pop are increasing and a direct link to many leading causes of death.

FYI: My favorite quick-boosts for K is low-sodium V8 juice and baked potatoes.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    Options
    IMO sugar is something you should avoid. I can give you answers to this if you like?

Too much sugar is as bad as too much sodium, this will probably start a flame war with some of the bodybuilder types on here, but as a female and you are wanting to lose weight, then it is an important part of your diet!

i always wondered if men and women varied in that regard...

i know i crave the HECK out of it a certain week out of the month! LOL

I hope you don`t mind but can I pm you tomorrow with the sugar thing?? You are welcome to post on here what I have said to you, but I am hoping it will help you??

you most definitely can. im also not shy about friend requests... this is the most talkative i have EVER been on MFP and im thinking its time to build my network.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I get that.....but sodium has no effect on fat loss....only water retention. dietary fat doesn't make you fat........and potassium is no more special than any other micronutrients.[/quote]

[/quote]

The majority of people get adequate pottasium from their diet. It's in dairy products and many fruits and veggies. Too much potassium can have some fairly severe consequences. If you search here, someone published a list of all the foods that contain it. The list is huge!! Unless you've have some unique health problem and have been advised by your doctor to increase your pottasium intake, you likely don't need to be wildly intentional about this.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    Options

FTR, I track sodium (NA) and potassium (K) because I've had issues this year with wide swings in BP. As recently as this summer I had BP in the Stage 1 HT range, bordering on S2. As recently as 2 weeks ago, I regularly had dramatically low BP for several hours after cardio (e.g. 85/59). Working with my doc and monitoring those has me now averaging 110s/60s-70s regardless of time or activity level. So yeah, most people probably don't need to track K, but I do.

1) Unlike many other macros, you can't increase your RDA with exercise, etc. (I'd love to 'earn' an extra 1000mg from cardio!)
    2) The high amounts found most everywhere in the everyday American diet (baked goods, processed/fast foods, etc.)

am i missing something here? i know that sodium is bad for your heart and water retention... but is there something else i should know? i pay NO attention to it at all. matter of fact, the majority of my weight came off eating those microwaveable meals... i eat them rarely now... but enlighten me! please!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    MFP sets sugar levels really really low. No worries, especially if it's from unrefined sources like fruit.
  • mmapags
    Options

3) HBP rates among the gen-pop are increasing and a direct link to many leading causes of death.

I can see how it would perfect sense for you then! For most people, not so much. You are the exception. Not the norm.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Turn off the tracking if it is bothering you.
    Try to make good choices and don't worry.

Most nights I like a Trader Joe's lime fruit flow. 60 calories, all sugar. Love it. It's a silly small part of my intake and pleases me all out of proportion to 60 calories, but it sure runs up my sugar counts (half of all I took in yesterday).

It fits in to my overall numbers though, so I don't sweat it.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    So yeah, most people probably don't need to track K, but I do.

I can see how it would perfect sense for you then! For most people, not so much. You are the exception. Not the norm.

Never said or implied that I was the norm. I stated what I do and that 'YMMV'. I even said above that most don't need to track K (potassium). However, I do feel that almost everybody should track NA (sodium) as per #2 and #3 above, not based on fat loss.

What are your thoughts on NA?
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    HEY! Great question!

I actually wanted to jump in here and post a study that I recently found:

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/278/4/E677.full

What are ya'll thoughts on this?? I would love to hear some opinions and interpretations.
  • PrettyGirlPayton
    PrettyGirlPayton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am over on sugar and protein everyday. The sugar setting must be really low! A bowl of cereal or ice cream sandwich puts me in the red! I be like DAMN! BUT just worry about SODIUM,PROTEIN,ETC.
  • mmapags
    Options
    So yeah, most people probably don't need to track K, but I do.

Never said or implied that I was the norm. I stated what I do and that 'YMMV'. I even said above that most don't need to track K (potassium). However, I do feel that almost everybody should track NA (sodium) as per #2 and #3 above, not based on fat loss.

What are your thoughts on NA?

I personally don't track it. If you have a tendency to overdo NA or to retain water weight I can see some value to doing it. I guess I'd use your statement of YMMV.
    For some excess sodium seems to be tied to increased blood pressure so if one has a family history, certainly.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    HEY! Great question!

I actually wanted to jump in here and post a study that I recently found:

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/278/4/E677.full

What are ya'll thoughts on this?? I would love to hear some opinions and interpretations.

Oh my god! I think it means that if you are a rat recovering from brain surgery you might eat a bunch of sugar and not feel fully satisfied!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

That's a swell article........read it carefully......If you are SEVERELY deficient you can lack energy and not move as much......The potassium itself has no bearing on weight loss. The same can be said of MANY micronutrients.....Unless you are SEVERELY deficient it's not worth stressing over.
  • tryp66
    tryp66 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think it's the added sugar that is a problem, not natural sugars found in fruit and dairy products. I've read before you are not supposed to go over 6 teaspoons of added sugar a day. I am a total sugar addict and breaking the habit is HARD
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You have only about 15 more pounds to lose? You should set MFP to lost half a pound per week or 1 pound per week. I suspect that it might be set to 2 pounds per week, and that is not a realistic goal if you are this close to your goal weight.