afternoon binging

Options
Is there anyone else out there who fill their faces on an afternoon despite all their best efforts and determination in the morning. Not sure if I'm lacking something or maybe need more sleep (only get 5 hrs). Docs not worried about it, but have 58lbs to lose just to scrape into the healthy weight range. How can that be right? help please xxxxxxx

Replies

• wesmith2
    wesmith2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I binge when I leave work in the afternoons and get home! I think I do this b/c I am procrastinating with whatever I need to be doing..So I plop on the sofa and loose myself. I am going to just have to try my hardest to stay busy after work and avoid lazy time until I can control it better. Lots of water and I am going to take my dog on walks and try to relax by reading after dinner...not TV....GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I do this it's usually after 2ish and my office has a jar full of candy (usually chocolate) and I ALWAYS have some. Not sure why I do it. It might have something to do with being sick of work by that time and stuffing my face for emotional reasons. I have done well on some days. I have tea that I will drink when I feel this coming on. I've also wondered if it's because I don't eat enough for lunch.
  • mountaincat4
    Options
    I tend to get very hungry in the pm so I try to have a big salad with lots of tasty additions like beans, seeds, sharp cheese and maybe a handful of croutons. Just a tiny bit of dressing. If I use the right combo of vegies, it is very tasty and fills me up and satisfies the need to eat big time. If I don't have time for that, I try to grab a few fresh vegies and eat a big handful of those along with a small handful of something like pretzels or nuts. And a big glass of water.

Another tasty snack is a cup or two of hot brothy soup. Homemade soup with lots of vegies, maybe a bit of pasta, but for the snack, I have mostly the broth with a piece of bread to dip in it.

These are healthy snacks that taste delicious. Delicious is important.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone else out there who fill their faces on an afternoon despite all their best efforts and determination in the morning. Not sure if I'm lacking something or maybe need more sleep (only get 5 hrs). Docs not worried about it, but have 58lbs to lose just to scrape into the healthy weight range. How can that be right? help please xxxxxxx
    It's not right and it's not normal. Normal is being able to skip a meal without it being a big deal -- think back to when you were younger I bet there were times when you were hungry but you were caught up in something else (playing outside, engrossed in a hobby, busy with work etc.) and maybe you missed lunch and it was no big deal. That's normal, that's healthy -- not this overwhelming need to eat every few hours in spite of your best intentions.

For me (and a lot of other people) a low carb diet fixes that. Three weeks following a low carb, high fat whole foods diets and my appetite was normal for the first time in ages -- it's been so long since I felt like this I forgot what it was like to be normal and not have food be a constant struggle. If you're open to changing what you eat here's everything you need to get you started:

LCHF for Beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Lots of lean protein for lunch. And I mean alot. See if you can get 8oz plus of lean chicken breast (I'll do 14 oz sometimes) in your meal. And then eat veggies etc. I find if I eat enough protein it really kills cravings for food. If that's not the problem figure out if you're diet is missing something. For instance when I cannot stop thinking about cheese I need know I need calcium, or sometimes protein. Think about if there is an actual need for the cravings you're having. Plain green tea stops my sweet tooth. :smile:
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i do this because i have a very early lunch time. i'll usually pack double what i eat for lunch, then when i get hungry after work, i'll eat the 2nd half. i count that as my dinner though. then i'm powered up to exercise when i gethome.
  • cma17
    cma17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Afternoon is my pig out time =) unless I go and exercise straight away I'm hungry!
    However I have found a simple solution, I have an early dinner. I almost always have dinner between 5 and 5:30pm it just works for me, but if you have a family to feed that might not be the best advise:smile:
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Having too little sleep will most definately affect your hunger.. I won't bore you w the science behind it =) However if you can manage to get more sleep and or start eating your heavier meal closer to when you leave work and drink ALOT of water you should feel too full to binge on most days..
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of things in my opinion. If its happening to often I wouldn't consider it very normal or ok.

A few things

- Are you skipping meals or having long hours between?
    - Are you stressed?
    - Are you tired?
    - Are you eating enough protein/fiber? (Helps you feel full longer)
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    this has been happening to me since i have made my breakfasts smaller. it may seem easier to do this but it throws off the rest of the day and makes the hunger build up. I think this just means that you are not giving yourself enough calories in the morning so your body is trying to catch up later in the day. just my thoughts though. i am definetly going back to a bigger breakfast though since i dont like being starving at night.
  • Daizy426
    Daizy426 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I always want to eat right after work. One day I was out of my bran cereal and stopped at a store and grabbed a sausage and cheese engish muffin (ya, big cheat but I HAD to eat) . I noticed I wasn't nearly as hungry later in the day. Hmmm. Now I'm messing around with the idea of switching my meals around so I'm eating heavier in the morning. I've done it before but not for diet reasons. I just put pork and saurkraut in the crock pot for breakfast. I don't know, I'm gonna try it and it actually sounds good to me : ))