HELP? Scale won't budge, what am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• theMrsisGonnagetFit
    Options
    Do you know your tdee and bmr? I think that is a great starting place, honestly I don't think you are eating enough athough I suggest eating back only half of your exercise calories as they are often based too high.

My tdee is 2550, and bmr is 1650, but what do I DO with those numbers? I see "eating back" my exercise cals as OK because my NET calorie intake still leaves me with a significant deficit... HELP!
  • theMrsisGonnagetFit
    Options
    I looked at your diary, good job at sticking at calories. I agree with others that you may not be burning what MFP is saying and thus are actually eating a little over, so try not to eat so much of the calories back.

Also try to get more fresh fruit and veggies. It appears you eat quite a bit of packaged food. It is high in the sodium and I would assume sugar also. I see more losses the weeks I keep my sodium down (under 1500, preferably 1000mg a day) and make sure you are getting plenty of protein. I strive for at least 100 grams a day

I have used other resources to ensure my calories burned are as close to accurate as possible, believe me I don't just take MFP's word for it. As far as the food goes... I do the best I can with what I have, yes I eat packaged food, because, let's be honest, it's cheaper. I have to work within a small monthly budget to feed myself and my family. I struggle everyday to avoid sugars, sodium, fat, etc. But by the end of the day, looking at my food diary, it never reflects that struggle. :o/
  • theMrsisGonnagetFit
    Options
    Stop eating back all of the calories you burned during your workouts.

That is such a simple answer for such a complex question. Maybe you were attempting to help, but all you've managed to do is frustrate me further! Even after "eating back" my exercise cals my NET calories consumed on any given day still leave me with a significant caloric deficit, which translates into weight loss for most people, but not me apparently!
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Why not go back to doing what worked for you in the past? Eat good food when hungry, have treats once in a while, and get active. Don't over think it.

Do you have a heart rate monitor? If you "eat" your calories burned, you may be eating over the NET that you think you are getting.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I do not eat all of my exercise calories. I try to leave a couple hundred no matter who many calories I burn.
    My weight loss is very slow going, losing about 1 pound a month.
    Take measurements. I am very excited when I see how many inches I have lost when I update my list.
    My scale is evil :laugh:
    Good luck to you on your journey!
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    A BMR of 1650 and you are wondering why you aren't losing any weight? Because you are not giving your body enough energy to burn off fat. Your body isn't just magically going to do it you know. 1200 calories is TOO LOW.

You are not the first person here on a severely restricted calorie diet who's complaining about no weight-loss after a period of rapid weight loss. Your body has probably now adjusted itself to these much lower calories - slowing down your metabolism to ensure that it still has the energy just to ensure that your organs still function (nevermind the exercise you do). 1200 calories is TOO LOW.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

How many more women are going to INSIST on doing these incredibly low calorie diets with "fantastic" results until everything grinds to a halt. You are doing more damage by doing good.

You have to allow your body to have the fuel necessary to run things "normally". Such a restrictive diet simply tells your body to slow down as much as possible because the fuel isn't going in.

As you said yourself - before you weren't on calorie counting and in your mind not on low cal, so obviously you need to increase your calories!!!
  • theMrsisGonnagetFit
    Options
    A BMR of 1650 and you are wondering why you aren't losing any weight? Because you are not giving your body enough energy to burn off fat. Your body isn't just magically going to do it you know. 1200 calories is TOO LOW.

You are not the first person here on a severely restricted calorie diet who's complaining about no weight-loss after a period of rapid weight loss. Your body has probably now adjusted itself to these much lower calories - slowing down your metabolism to ensure that it still has the energy just to ensure that your organs still function (nevermind the exercise you do). 1200 calories is TOO LOW.

How many more women are going to INSIST on doing these incredibly low calorie diets with "fantastic" results until everything grinds to a halt. You are doing more damage by doing good.

You have to allow your body to have the fuel necessary to run things "normally". Such a restrictive diet simply tells your body to slow down as much as possible because the fuel isn't going in.

As you said yourself - before you weren't on calorie counting and in your mind not on low cal, so obviously you need to increase your calories!!!

I was going by what MFP recommended I eat, as far as the calories go. So if 1200 is too low, what would you suggest? Am I supposed to be eating between my bmr and tdee? I'm stumped and your snarky answer was not exactly encouraging or overly helpful. I'm just trying to figure things out, and was looking for help from polite, caring people, thanks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

I was going by what MFP recommended I eat, as far as the calories go. So if 1200 is too low, what would you suggest? Am I supposed to be eating between my bmr and tdee? I'm stumped and your snarky answer was not exactly encouraging or overly helpful. I'm just trying to figure things out, and was looking for help from polite, caring people, thanks.

Set your goal to be less aggressive (this is why you got 1200 calories). Maybe change your goal to 1.5 or even 1 lb. Keep in mind that your body will not always follow the mathematical standard. Or you can set your calories to maintain for a week to allow it to repair from your exercise. This is what I always suggest to break a plateau. Also, adjust your macro's as MFP is too low on protein (it's based on the US standards). Go to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. After you come off of your break, then set your account to 1-1.5 lb per week.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    My trainer says to not eat back the exercise calories unless I'm particularly hungry that day. Jillian Michaels says calories in calories out that it doesn't matter what the calories are from. For me though I really need to eat clean as they are calling it these day. I have to eat good and healthy most of the time. When I have a weekend of 1200 of cupcakes I don't do well. Not saying you're eating cupcakes, but if you're eating well and exercise hard it will come off. I'd look at the level you're exercising at and just tweak your diet. I know I know we're going into the holidays. Believe me I'm trying not to panic and make smart choices.

Most trainers tell you not to eat back your exercise calories as they include it in your TDEE. So if you workout 5-6 days a week, they would suggest setting your account to moderately active as opposed to sedentary (this is actually the approach I always suggest) and not worry about exercise calories.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I identify with you, except m plateau is even greater. I lost 19 pounds in the first 3 months of my "diet" and have stayed within 3 pounds for the past 3 months. Basically I have not lost since June. I go up 3 pounds in small increments and go back down 2 pounds (in small decimals). I do not normally eat back my exercising calories. I've tried upping my calorie intake a few days and my weight just flies up 3 pounds. If I restrict my calories, I lose, but not beyond that 19 pound initial loss.
    VERY FRUSTRATED!!
    :grumble:

You can't just up your calories for a few days.. you need to do it for a month in order for your body to stabilize and get used to the additional calories. Also, when you add calories, try to add more protein and fats as opposed to more carbs. More carbs means more glycogen/water stored. This is why your weight went up.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Do you know your tdee and bmr? I think that is a great starting place, honestly I don't think you are eating enough athough I suggest eating back only half of your exercise calories as they are often based too high.

My tdee is 2550, and bmr is 1650, but what do I DO with those numbers? I see "eating back" my exercise cals as OK because my NET calorie intake still leaves me with a significant deficit... HELP!

Here you go: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    try upping your calories. read this. it is very very VERY helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Here you go: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

darnnnn someone beat me to it LOL
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options

I would suggest eating no less than 1650 calories a day (your BMR) along with your exercise calories. BMR is what your body requires to sustain itself and your vital functions (heart beating, breathing) if you were in a coma. Your TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure and it is based on your activity level. This is what you would eat if you just wanted to maintain your current weight.

Since you are only eating 1200 calories your body is holding on to the stored energy (fat) because you are not feeding it enough and that is why you are not losing weight. Also as others have suggested trust measurements more than the scale.

ETA: If you decide to increase your calorie intake as many have suggested you might have a slight increase in the first week or two as your body adjusts. Please do not let this deter you because once your body gets used to being fed again you will start to lose.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I was told to eat 5 small meals during the day. You can't starve yourself, the weight will stay on if you do.Be smart. Everything fresh. Eat chicken and turkey. Avoid red meat. Nothing fried. No fast food. Plenty of fresh green veggies, etc. And LOTS of WATER. Drink a glass of water before and after your meals. This helps you stay full and hydrated. Stay away from fast food. But allow yourself to cheat once a month. Burger on!

Sounds like your activity is great. Things should turn around when you metabolism kicks in! You go gurl!

The amount of meals you eat has no impact on weight loss, only satiety. Your metabolism won't slow down, nor increased based on the amount of meals you consume. Also, there is no reason to avoid red meats (at least the whole lean meats).