your "specialty" during the holidays...

Options

Replies

• lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I make Tamales, LOTS of baked goods & caramel corn with peanuts, m&ms & a drizzle of chocolate. Most everything doesn't get eaten and gets sent to my husband's job.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Mashed potato casserole. Mash potatoes with diced onion, cream cheese, sour cream and diced red pepper. Bake uncovered at 350F for about 45 minutes.

Effing yum. I don't even like potatoes, really, but this is just so good.
  • ShoeloverPearl
    Options
    I come from Hispanic heritage (Puerto Rican/Dominican) so for the holidays my mother and I usually make a huge batch of pasteles which is basically root veggies/plantains shaped sort of like a tamale and stuffed with pork. They're fabulous. Also arroz con gandules (yellow rice with pigeon peas) and coquito which is a Puerto Rican (very potent *kitten*) coconut rum egg nog.

None of the above is light on the calories or fat just sayin. :flowerforyou:
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    BritneysStuntDouble Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    About an hour after the meal, gas that can clear the room.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and cheese casserole. It's usually called "Broccoli slop". It consists of broccoli, whole bag of shredded cheese, cream of mushroom soup, bit a mayo, onion, topped with Ritz crackers

fresh or frozen broccoli? do you leave the ritz plain?

frozen broccoli cuts and you just crush Ritz crackers for the topping.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    vegan green bean casserole
    cheese stuffed shells
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I make cake pops.. cover them in dark and white chocolate and sprinkle them in crunched candy canes! Holy calories!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I make a good turkey and dressing, gravy, etc.
    Bake my *kitten* off as well.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    my "holiday rum and raisin cake".....to die for! :smile:
    but.....don't think i'll be indulging in that this year :sad:
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    hubs and I usually make an appetizer that everyone loves- ham & pickled asparagus rolls. you just take ham slices, and spread a little cream cheese (we do the lite cream cheese, and I usually stick it in a bowl, and microwave it for a few seconds to make it more pliable) then you roll up a pickled asparagus spear in it, stab a toothpick in it, and voila! usually I cut it into smaller pieces, about 2 inches or so (basically cut them in half) to fit them in our Tupperware better, and make more manageable bites.

I also get requests from my brothers to make Grandma's cut-out cookies. Neither of their wives have mastered the recipe of the cookies or the frosting, and the "tree" cookies for my little brother - the spritz cookies..

Red Velvet cake with Grandma's frosting- it's a butter frosting, but not buttercream..SO good- obviously have to eat in small doses-

and Apricot rolls- homemade rolls, that you have to do each one by hand since they have an Apricot filling. Only made them a couple of times, since they're a little labor intensive. Yummy though - whole recipe is from scratch.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i get drunk and pass out on the couch.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Gingerbread men with raisin belly buttons. Family tradition from my grandmother's cookbook!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Tiramisu......with lots of Mascarpone, espresso, rum and coffee liqueur.... have no idea about calories on it, I can mostly do with just a small serving but friends love it. So I make double and leave it at their house.....:tongue:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    QUEEN of SNICKERDOODLES.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Almond poppy seed bundt cake....I give it as gifts and I get requests for the recipe all the time.. NO way!

Eggnog pumpkin pie

Caramel pecan pie

Do you see a trend here?? lol

sound yummy....would you share recipes for all or at least top 2 ??????
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    besides desserts and bread.... my baked mac n cheese. Its so bad and so good, we moved it to a separate day around the holiday meals so it could be the main focus. its about 1000 cals per serving though.

so I will prob have to healthify it this year, or skip it. since the holidays ALWAYS put 20 + lbs on me...EVER YEAR that then I spend the next YEAR losing. To many family's houses and friends with separate celebrations and bdays in December and jan to boot. Plus annev in nov. its a hot food mess.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Fool toffee-yummy-easy-wicked
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    i make my family recipe home made eggnog, spiked, of course. make your own is 100X better than anything store bought. i PROMISE!!! use spiced rum and brandy in equal proportions but remember this, its MUCH STRONGER than you think..//
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I am the goddess of "Chocolate Mousse Pie To Die For".....

Graham cracker crust

Creamy peanut butter smeared on the crust

Melted chocolate on the bottom layer

Chocolate pudding, chocolate shavings, and marshmallows - whipped - for the filling

Chocolate chunks on top of the pie... and voila!!!

It's super easy and divine..... and each slice has zero calories... assuming you don't put any of it in your mouth. HEH! :)

e7nrew.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the desserts. Cake, pie, brownies, cookies. :love: