net calories

Options
Hi! I was wondering if someone could tell me what my net calories should be. I don't understand it. I believe my journal is open. But I have been bad the past couple days because I was not losing even with low calories and exercise. I don't know what I am suppose to be doing. I don't eat a lot of fruit and veggies. I have never really been on a diet, I normally just starve myself and lose, normally become anorexic. But at 53 yrs old, I have to change. I have been tracking everything that goes in my mouth and I wear a HR monitor during exercise. I know I don't eat right, but I have been keeping my calories between 900 and 1400 for 3 months. I have gone from 178 to 165/168 I normally can lose 25 pds in a month with a 500 calorie diet but I was trying to do it right. I don't eat well, especially the past 3 days. So what is this net calorie all about? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Replies

• Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Your net calories should equal your goal calories for the day. When you log your food you will notice your calories go up. When you exercise it subtracts the total calories burned from your total intake for the day which takes your net calories down. Keep your net calories at your goal. For example. Say your daily goal is 1500 and you eat 1500 but then exercise so your net says your down to 1200 after exercise. Your supposed to eat back those calories and make the net hit your daily goal.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying not to be anorexic anymore! Whatever you burn, people usually say "eat back some of the calories". So if you have a high burn of 700 one day, maybe eat back 400 so that your body has fuel.
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    Thank you! Wow! That's a lot I still have a net of almost 700. Not eating junk food makes it hard to hit that many calories. lol Thank you both so much. I'm going to try it and see if it works.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Add in things like nuts, string cheese and avocados and you should be able to hit that goal. :)
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Your diary isn't open to public. Since you say you don't eat well I'd suggest starting there first. Your body does best on low calories when you eat the proper food. Consuming 1200 calories is considered the lowest you should go because it takes that much to get the recommended amount of protiens and essential nutrients into your body.
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    Funny, I have it set to public http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/johnnlinda