Sodium

Options
It seems everything i find in low sugar, low fat, low everything is high in sodium. i go over sodium 1/2 my days of the week. i mean im still loosing weight fast but ide rather not go over it lol., i guess i should really sompain if im still losing weight right?

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Sodium isn't such a big deal if you're getting LOTS of water, on days I'm over sodium I make sure I have 10+ glasses of water
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with sodium for months. I would appreciate some tips on this.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    i feel your pain... I'm trying to limit my sodium to help with my high blood pressure.

I pretty much had to give up on all restaurant and fast food joints (or accept that my sodium will be high that day). I eat a lot of salads and fruits, along with grilling or broiling chicken... Dash has a variety of seasonings with no salt that i use (usually rotate between southwestern and lemon-pepper).
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If I lower my sodium my carbs go up, it's a no win situation.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sodium isn't such a big deal if you're getting LOTS of water, on days I'm over sodium I make sure I have 10+ glasses of water

well i drink about 14-24 cups of water a day. i like to drink alot always have not sure why. (one reason i dont drink alcohal, i can drink 12 pack in 1 hr lmao)
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    i dont mind the frozen healthy choise meals. i would be good today and not have gone over sodium but i ate 2 hot dogs when i got home and didnt realize it till earlier that they were almost 1/2 my sodium lol.
    Im gonna invest in low sodium preogressive soups. they taste good and a good alternative when my family brings home WHOPPER JRS for dinner and i refuse to eat lol
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If anyone is adding salt to food (because let's face it, it does taste good) - you can get low sodium salt, which at least mitigates it!
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    If anyone is adding salt to food (because let's face it, it does taste good) - you can get low sodium salt, which at least mitigates it!

how does that work isnt salt sodium. how could u have low sodium salt? lol
  • DannPM31
    Options
    It is hard but doable; I'm successfully (just recently) eating a good low-sodium, high potassium, diet.

1. Lots of fruits and veggies. If you're worried about sugars, look up the GI of what you're eating. Cherries (fresh or dried) have a lower GI than whole wheat. That's just one example. When you encounter a diet high is sugars but those sugars are low GI, it is not the same as a diet high in high GI sugars (like refined white sugar) as it does not have the same effect on blood sugar.

2. Eat less processed food. This will dramatically reduce your sodium intake.

3. Eat less meat. Most meats needs a high dose of sodium as an adjunct to create the flavors wanted in most dishes. If this seem implausible, look into "nosalt' aka potassium as a salt substitute.
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    It is hard but doable; I'm successfully (just recently) eating a good low-sodium, high potassium, diet.

1. Lots of fruits and veggies. If you're worried about sugars, look up the GI of what you're eating. Cherries (fresh or dried) have a lower GI than whole wheat. That's just one example. When you encounter a diet high is sugars but those sugars are low GI, it is not the same as a diet high in high GI sugars (like refined white sugar) as it does not have the same effect on blood sugar.

2. Eat less processed food. This will dramatically reduce your sodium intake.

3. Eat less meat. Most meats needs a high dose of sodium as an adjunct to create the flavors wanted in most dishes. If this seem implausible, look into "nosalt' aka potassium as a salt substitute.

most meats dont have much sodium if u buy fresh. ever frozen ones arent that bad. and why doesnt MFP encorperate this GI system thing??
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options

how does that work isnt salt sodium. how could u have low sodium salt? lol

Normal salt is half sodium and half chlorine - the "lo-salt" replaces most/all of the sodium with potassium I believe.