So this is what my diary says (it is accurate)

Options
Do I really need to eat more calories???
316 CALORIES REMAINING
Goal Food eaten Exercise = Net calories
986 1220 - 550 = 670

Replies

• schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry?
  • Valencia123456
    Valencia123456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    No.... I heard that I need to eat more ( i work out 7 x week) to prevent my body from going into starvation mode.....
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's said that a female shouldn't eat less then a net of 1200 calories per day because of the risk of malnutrition. I personally am not one to give advice with an eating disorder myself. I never follow the "rules". The decision is yours.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Mine often says I have plenty of calories left, but I'm feeling stuffed.

I'm not going to force feed myself if I'm not hungry....
  • Crying_In_Color
    Options
    No.... I heard that I need to eat more ( i work out 7 x week) to prevent my body from going into starvation mode.....

Working out doesn't prevent your body from going into starvation mode. Eating the correct amount of calories is the only way to stay out of starvation mode.
  • Valencia123456
    Valencia123456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's said that a female shouldn't eat less then a net of 1200 calories per day because of the risk of malnutrition. I personally am not one to give advice with an eating disorder myself. I never follow the "rules". The decision is yours.

You've lost the amount of weight that I NEED to lose....what do you do? Do you eat to a NET of 1200???
  • Crying_In_Color
    Options

Working out doesn't prevent your body from going into starvation mode. Eating the correct amount of calories is the only way to stay out of starvation mode.

My bad read that wrong.
  • Crying_In_Color
    Options

You've lost the amount of weight that I NEED to lose....what do you do? Do you eat to a NET of 1200???

I do net no less than 1200 now that my eating disorder is under control. I don't net more then 1600.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about the "starvation mode" concept. Some places I've heard it's a myth, and then others you read it like it's gospel. Anyone have thoughts on that?
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Do I really need to eat more calories???
    316 CALORIES REMAINING
    Goal Food eaten Exercise = Net calories
    986 1220 - 550 = 670

Your Net should be what is around 1200...AT LEAST 1000ish....

And I believe strongly that starvation mode only happens when you are stranded somewhere with no food walking miles a day to try and find your way to civilization....

Is your goal each day really only 986? that is really low.

*EDIT: Have you looked at the other tools on this site to get an idea of what your body burns each day without exercise? (TDEE) It for sure is higher than 1200 and when you eat lower than that you will eventually start to feel sluggish because you are not fueling your body. Also, when the day come that you reach your goal and are not as strict with your dieting/exercise you will start putting back on lbs...Just a thought....
  • erinpooh
    Options
    I try to have some calories left over at the end of the day. Usually a few hundred.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You've burned off almost half of the calories that you've eaten.. if you do that all the time, then you are netting too few calories for the week and your body will most likely go into starvation mode. I'd eat back your exercise calories up to a minimum of 1200 net.
    Or basically, if you're going to burn around 500 calories per day exercising, then make sure to eat a total of 1700 calories.