Do you weigh your meat before or after cooking it?

Options
Do you weigh your meat before or after you cook it?

Replies

• thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food before I cook it.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I weigh after its cooked
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Before
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Calories for meat is raw weight unless it specifies differently. Reason is that you can't determine how much water weight will be cooked off because everyone cooks meats their own way. If you take 4 oz of raw steak and cook it until it's like leather it will weigh a lot less than if you cook it until it's just stopped mooing. If you use cooked weight for calories of meat that is supposed to be weighed raw you're eating a lot more calories than you think you are.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Calories for meat is raw weight unless it specifies differently. Reason is that you can't determine how much water weight will be cooked off because everyone cooks meats their own way. If you take 4 oz of raw steak and cook it until it's like leather it will weigh a lot less than if you cook it until it's just stopped mooing. If you use cooked weight for calories of meat that is supposed to be weighed raw you're eating a lot more calories than you think you are.
  • JBWILLOW
    JBWILLOW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Definitely before
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I weigh it after it's cooked. I never know exactly how much I am going to eat.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Before.
  • Mzpinkgreen
    Mzpinkgreen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replying :)
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Yes to both that way its easier to log it as a recipe. But I log the before weight.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Usually before... although sometimes after. :D
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I weighed mine after cooking. After reading all these post, I will be changing it to before I cook it. Thanks guys :wink:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

This! Always weigh it before. If I cook an 8oz steak (raw) and eat about half, I mark 4 oz. I'm going to eat the other half the next day anyway so if today I eat 3.5 ounces and tomorrow is 4.5 ounces my body isn't going to care. Calories in/out in a cummulative sense are what is important. As long as by the time the 8oz steak is completely gone you have logged the whole 8 ounces, that is what matters ;-)
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    After - mostly.

If I am preparing a recipe then I weight the ingredients, so THAT would be before.

Then it is a matter of dividing into portions. The MFP My Recipe feature is useful for this.

( - never know if wine counts in full since cooking boils off much of the alcohol leaving the flavour with lower calorie content)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to weigh meat after you cook it. That's because all the "calories per ounce" numbers are usually meant for "ready to serve portions," which means cooked.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the strange people who weight before AND after and then I log it based on whatever state it is in from the database or from the total weight of the recipe I get from it. I do the same with pasta - normally I will calculate the dry weight based on the ratio that I get when I cook it - that way I always have the right number.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If I am logging a recipe I look for and log it raw. If I am just logging a food like steak, I log it cooked. But, I do specify when I am logging.
  • jtotyler
    Options
    I had the same question so I contacted foster farms who sells boneless skinless chicken breasts at costco. The rep who emailed me back stated the norm for nutritional values are based on how the product is sold unless it states otherwise. So if you buy raw chicken you weigh it raw. If you buy cooked meat it is of course is the weight cooked. Hope this helps sorry if you now have to cut the protein intake back a little.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    before