HRM at work?

Options
Ok, I'm curious as to how many calories I burn at work. Would it be really weird for me to wear my heart rate monitor?

It probably won't be too comfortable, but I work a reasonably demanding, on-my-feet for 7 hours straight kind of job and I'm curious as to what I'm burning.

I'm paranoid I'm not eating enough!

What do you guys think? Would you wear it? Or just guess/estimate?

Replies

• Firefightergirl18
    Firefightergirl18 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wore my body bugg to work, so I dont see why not
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I say do it, even if just to see the numbers for fun. I also work a job that requires me to be on my feet 8+ hours a day and I'm considering wearing my HRM to work one day. I have a feeling I'll be surprised.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I wear my Fitbit & sometimes my HRM. Yeah, it's not 100% comfortable, but sometimes I just want my real total.

Now, if you wear your HRM all, carefull on the battery levels.
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM during just about all of my daily activities- housework, grocery shopping. My motto is, if I'm moving it counts!!!:wink:
  • enigmachik
    Options
    I wore mine to work for a day! I wore a long sleeve fleece so that it wasn't overly noticeable. I work a pretty sedentary job so I wanted to get an idea of what my base rate of caloric burn is on inactive days. I found it to be a worthwhile experiment!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    can you guys post your results here please?
  • g_jelly
    g_jelly Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah give it a go. But I have recently heard that HRM usually show gross calories burned and for longer periods of a low intensity exercise you show convert this to net calories (as in the calories you burned over your Resting Metabolic Rate).
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.aspx
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Hmm I've heard a HRM won't accurately estimate calories burned unless your heart rate is significantly higher than usual.
  • DaoneandonlyMe
    DaoneandonlyMe Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i have been wondering that myself , My job is very physical :P ... I'm going to do it once I get my battery for the HRM in the mail..
    I'm worried I may not be eating enough as well.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I did when I first got it. I only wore it for about an hour, but burned about 300 calories at my job.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Do it. I used to bartend on the weekends and I wore my HRM to work. I burned a TON of calories!
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I wore mine to work a while ago to track acitivity levels during a shift. I do a mix of office and floor work and over an 8 hour shift I clocked up around 800 calories during this time. When I do a strenous day at work I forgo my gym workouts and do a 5km run at a slow pace to burn around 300 calories.

I have been experimenting with my Polar 4 HRM. When I am on a Day off and I am sitting on my behind either on the computer or watching tv I burn around 60 calories in an hour. Today I went to the gym and done a mix of strength and cardio and burned 570 calories in 90 minutes. I then tracked the hour after the session and burned 90 calories for the hour. This is due to a higher heart rate coming down from the workout.

I use this info to assist with calorie requirements for the day as if I use todays calories burnt: 570 from workout (1.5hrs) and an average of 70 calories per hour from the rest of the day 1575 (22.5hrs) combined it suggests I will burn 2145 calories. To create a deficit of calories in vs calories out and to lose weight I will eat 1650 calories.

I restest my heart rate once a month due to become fitter my heart rate slows and this impacts on calories burnt.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A HRM is only accurate if your HR is significantly elevated, into what they class as the fat burning zone on most monitors so unless you're doing work that keeps your HR elevated into a fast walk level all day then you're going to get grossly exaggerated numbers. Just being on your feet all day doesn't burn a significant number of extra calories.