Fractured my foot, when do I know it's ok to run again

Options
2»

Replies

• MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I broke an ankle and had to have it surgically repaired four years ago, and it can still give me trouble. It can be hard to know what is causing pain; I had to go to 3 physiotherpists and 2 doctors before I found out I have tendinitis in that ankle. Have you considered starting with walking and seeing if that aggravates it?

Incidentally, I still can't wear heels higher than 2 inches. Giving away all those shoes made me sad.
  • littlemoron
    littlemoron Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback. Especially the non-sarcastic feedback, which was more helpful, obviously, than the sarcastic stuff. Incidentally, when I saw my doctor the first time, SHE said that I should be good to go after six weeks. I moved in that time - to another province - and have started a new job and and haven't found a new doctor yet, or a walk-in clinic that I can attend during my work hours. So given my current situation, and the advice from my doctor when she assessed the fracture (wait six weeks then start running again but go easy at first), starting to run without seeing another doctor isn't the worst idea ever.

From what I understand, some pain once you begin running again is to be expected. But there's pain, and then there's PAIN, so I was hoping to hear from people who have gone through this kind of thing.

Again, thanks for the input. :flowerforyou:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    When your doctor says so, duh?
  • littlemoron
    littlemoron Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah, walking is just fine. Like, no pain at all. I haven't worn heels, though, and I don't think I will for a while. I'm sorry to hear you had to give yours away :frown:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep.,,,,, you have to wait, be smart!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, after I break something (or have something surgically repaired), I resume activities after my doctor clears me. Call me crazy, but since he's the one that performed the procedure, examined the labs, and is responsible for my care, I think his advice trumps that of internet randoms.

Exactly.

common sense suggests ^^^^^
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try walking first and then walk a littl faster and see how the foot feels before you run

Basil
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback. Especially the non-sarcastic feedback, which was more helpful, obviously, than the sarcastic stuff. Incidentally, when I saw my doctor the first time, SHE said that I should be good to go after six weeks. I moved in that time - to another province - and have started a new job and and haven't found a new doctor yet, or a walk-in clinic that I can attend during my work hours. So given my current situation, and the advice from my doctor when she assessed the fracture (wait six weeks then start running again but go easy at first), starting to run without seeing another doctor isn't the worst idea ever.

From what I understand, some pain once you begin running again is to be expected. But there's pain, and then there's PAIN, so I was hoping to hear from people who have gone through this kind of thing.

Again, thanks for the input. :flowerforyou:

Common sense and basic prudence suggest that you should not exert yourself without seeing a doctor first. It's so obvious that yes, I and some people have been a tad sarcastic.

The very fact that you're posting the question shows you have doubts. If I had broken my foot and seen a doctor, I would not be seeking the advice of laypeople on the Internet.