College student needs motivation

Hi! So I've been battling with my weight for pretty much my whole life. I'm pretty short in stature (5'2 ish) and that has always put on weight super quickly. I am currently 150, but I would like to be at 130. I was there before I began college and I looked great and was happy with my body. I have broad shoulders and carry most of my weight in the tummy area. I'm pretty average everywhere else, though.

My only issue is that I'm nervous to workout in my school's gym. There are some people I know from class and I just feel uncomfortable seeing them while I exercise. I was uncomfortable working out around my boyfriend until just recently. Why do I feel so insecure about it? It really prevents me from getting my butt over there. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, let me know!

Replies

• Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Sounds a lot like me. College student 5'2''. Also have broad shoulders and tummy weight. I just go running outside.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    I'm not a college student anymore but the weight I gained in college I truely needed. It wasn't til a year after grad having to move back in with my parents that it hit me and I gained about 30 lbs. I have the same issue with going to the gym only I don't know the people there but I see several older women (the one's where you're like "man granny is kickin that treadmills @$$") that constantly make me feel discouraged. Mainly because of the stereotype that I'm 25 I should be fit and not them. I know it's terrible but I can't help the discouraged feeling.

I would say either ask the people you know about their routine and tell them you are wanting to change yours and then maybe you will feel like your there hanging out. Or if you have room in your house/apartment/etc. get some dvd's and work out at home or go for fast paced walks or jogging. I work in a hospital and one thing I do is every chance I get to take the stairs instead of the elevator I do it for the extra exercise. Hope this helps.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    You need to dig deep and find the motivation within. Do you really want this? If so, then the uncomfortable part of the gym will last a max of like a week. After that, you'll realize everybody is there to work out, has headphones on, and are paying attention to themselves.

This is in no way meant to be derogatory, but seeing you there won't be special for the regulars. People come and go all the time from the gym, it's not a big deal. It will help you once you realize you're just like everybody else there, working to achieve your own goals. Or you can stay home and worry about being judged- your choice.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Everybody starts somewhere. I didn't start lifting until my junior year in high school and I was extremely skinny and weak for a guy. My motivating factor was that, because of my skinny, malnourished frame, I was unable to play some of my favorite sports competitively. At that point, I didn't want my health to keep me from enjoying life to the fullest and I never looked back.
  • aimeebtn
    aimeebtn Posts: 12 Member
    I tried everything over the years and let me tell you there is no better motivation than your doctor telling you your triglycerides are out of control and it is affecting your liver. I promise you if you believe in yourself you will have no trouble exercising around the other students. You need to wake up every morning, look yourself in the mirror and say "I am an intelligent, beautiful human being and I can do anything!" Than every night before you go to bed, look in the mirror again and repeat the same statement.

You can do it!
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    I'm 5'2" and also in college.

In my personal opinion, the gym was pretty meh to me. I honestly didn't like the environment, and I'm not the type to work out with someone else, even though people saying having a buddy helps.Maybe you can find a friend to work out with so you don't feel lonely.

Going very early is also an option, when there's not a lot of people around.

Personally, I enjoy biking around town by myself rather than being confined to a gym, just have to find something you enjoy o-x.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    You are not presenting a speech in front of the UN. It's a gym. You go, you do, rinse, repeat. Other people there? Great, they are the background noise to your DO. Might even learn something, or make a gym friend. But really, just, go and DO.

Let go the excuse and I hope you have a great time.
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Gym's are smelly. Get out into the fresh air
  • PapaDunx
    PapaDunx Posts: 243
    Very similar to waking up to someone in the morning, no one looks their best whilst working out. Hot, sweaty and concentrating on gasping as much air as you can before you feel like you are going to die.

No one will be looking at you. In fact they will nod their hellos and get on with their work out. No one actually cares to be honest.

Using excuses are not going to get you fitter. Getting fitter will get you fitter!!

So, get on with it and stop making excuses.