Weight loss plateau

Options
Hi,

Ive been on my fitness pal for a couple months now and i have been losing at least one pound a week, sometimes more. I hit 20 lbs lost last week but now i seem to be stuck. I have been doing exactly the same thing as always. I only weigh myself once a week and its always first thing in the morning so i dont think its a food in the belly kind of thing. Help! i need to lose weight again bc there is nothing more frusterating than sacrificing without results. How do i get unstuck?

Replies

• fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Therein lies your problem: doing the exact same thing. The body is now at a point where it's comfortable. YOU have to make it get to work again by confusing it.

Initially, you will lose a lot of weight. However, when the weight drops, the body stops working as hard and your metabolism slows down. What you are going to have to do is change up what you are doing and I'll tell you what I did that helped me push through a 3-week plateau (had me frustrated for a minute, too):

1. Changed my foods and added new foods: I used to do Insanity and would follow the nutrition plan to a T. I ate the same foods for the same meals 99% of the time. I stopped doing that. I switched around when I would eat those same foods AND I added new foods to the mix.

2. I changed up my workout routine. Instead of working out for one hour, 6 days a week, I changed it from anywhere of 60 minutes to 2 hours. One day I might go hard for 30 minutes and the next I might put in about 100 minutes (on the elliptical...I do P90x as well). I have also incorporated dumbbells and wearing a weight vest during my workouts.

3. Start eating more fat-burning foods that require more energy to digest, like protein and spicy foods with peppers/jalapenos, etc. Green tea is a great resource, as well.

4. Drink PLENTY of water DAILY.

5. Make sure you are eating! Eating 1,200 calories a day, especially when you aren't working out, is simply not going to cut it. However, I WOULD suggest changing up your maximum calories per day so that it's never the same.

Just my two cents and what worked wonders for me....
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If I read it right and it has only been one week, you are not stuck. There will be weeks where, for whatever reason, you will not lose much, if at all. What we are doing takes time. If the trend continues, then it would be time to re-assess calorie intake vs calories burned, etc. But don't get discouraged after one week.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If I read it right and it has only been one week, you are not stuck. There will be weeks where, for whatever reason, you will not lose much, if at all. What we are doing takes time. If the trend continues, then it would be time to re-assess calorie intake vs calories burned, etc. But don't get discouraged after one week.

^^^ this :)
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 3 or more weeks when you don't lose a pound. Weight loss isn't linear and you were lucky to lose a pound a week for so long. Just relax, it'll come off.