What is a good exercise to do when you are sore?

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Again, what is a good exercise to do when you are sore?

all of them
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    There is no benefit for training sore muscles, but there is an increased likelihood of injury.

Source?

DOMS has never inhibited me from setting PR's.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Yoga every time and in fact I gave up a lot of what was making me sore in the first place and just do at least an hour of yoga every day and I'm progressing far better - more weight loss, more strength, less stressed, more energised, less recovery needed when I do other things like my weights/resistance (twice a week) - than before.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    There is no benefit for training sore muscles, but there is an increased likelihood of injury. If you want to train, hit the body parts which are not sore. If your entire body is sore, highly recommend some light stretching, walking and foam rolling instead of exercising.

Yeah, because those guys who have hard manual labor jobs are able to take off every other day until their soreness is gone, right? So many people underestimate the body's ability to manage physical exertion.

As for the person who said that silly crap about weightlifters alternating body parts: no, sissy *kitten* bodybuilders do that. Most powerlifters and oly lifters will work their pet exercise (be it deadlift, squat, bench, clean and jerk, etc.) at every session.

Seems a strange analogy given that manual labor workers have a totally different agenda (getting to work) then lifters (giving the body the ultimate amount of time to repair and grow)

Also you are clearly knowledgable about the weight lifting scene so you know damn well that there are still plenty of massive 'sissy *kitten* bodybuilders' out there that work one body part per session and then rest it for a week
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    There is no benefit for training sore muscles, but there is an increased likelihood of injury. If you want to train, hit the body parts which are not sore. If your entire body is sore, highly recommend some light stretching, walking and foam rolling instead of exercising.

Yeah, because those guys who have hard manual labor jobs are able to take off every other day until their soreness is gone, right? So many people underestimate the body's ability to manage physical exertion.

As for the person who said that silly crap about weightlifters alternating body parts: no, sissy *kitten* bodybuilders do that. Most powerlifters and oly lifters will work their pet exercise (be it deadlift, squat, bench, clean and jerk, etc.) at every session.

Seems a strange analogy given that manual labor workers have a totally different agenda (getting to work) then lifters (giving the body the ultimate amount of time to repair and grow)

Also you are clearly knowledgable about the weight lifting scene so you know damn well that there are still plenty of massive 'sissy *kitten* bodybuilders' out there that work one body part per session and then rest it for a week

I think you missed my point. I was mostly shooting down the crap about sore muscles in the post that I quoted, by pointing out the fact that manual labor workers do this all of the time without suffering injury. It just agitates me a bit when so many people assume that the human body is this frail *kitten* thing that will start to break down if you keep working it.

As for the second part, I am referring to the ones who manage to get 'jacked' in spite of a pathetic training regimen. You know exactly what I am talking about. We've all seen guys in the gym who look like they could crush stones in their elbow crevice, but lift like sissies when it comes to actual weight (20 lb. concentration curls anyone?). Jay Cutler is a good example. Ronnie Coleman is the exact opposite. That man puts in hard and heavy work, and actually trains his back multiple times per week. Funny thing...Coleman has won Mr. Olympia how many times versus Cutler? Not to mention the fact that he's actually more than twice as strong as Cutler, even though they are relatively close in size.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

I think you missed my point. I was mostly shooting down the crap about sore muscles in the post that I quoted, by pointing out the fact that manual labor workers do this all of the time without suffering injury. It just agitates me a bit when so many people assume that the human body is this frail *kitten* thing that will start to break down if you keep working it.

As for the second part, I am referring to the ones who manage to get 'jacked' in spite of a pathetic training regimen. You know exactly what I am talking about. We've all seen guys in the gym who look like they could crush stones in their elbow crevice, but lift like sissies when it comes to actual weight (20 lb. concentration curls anyone?). Jay Cutler is a good example. Ronnie Coleman is the exact opposite. That man puts in hard and heavy work, and actually trains his back multiple times per week. Funny thing...Coleman has won Mr. Olympia how many times versus Cutler? Not to mention the fact that he's actually more than twice as strong as Cutler, even though they are relatively close in size.

I got your point but still disagree

The munual workers do not lift ever increasing weights, they are not tearing their muscle fibres every day they go to work. I can't speak for those guys as I'm clearly not a manual worker, but I'm guessing they go home each night tired, but do they start work each morning with sore muscles? Surely not

As for the 2nd part then I really don't know enough to be able to argue about those guys, but I would say that using Mr Universe and those other genetic freaks to cite as examples of how the body works can't be right. If a training regime works for Mr Universe then it will work for me or you or Joe Public???
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but juiced up BBer's recovery time has absolutely no relevance to the OP's question.

I think it's been answered anyway.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's not what you do, but the intensity.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I got your point but still disagree

The munual workers do not lift ever increasing weights, they are not tearing their muscle fibres every day they go to work. I can't speak for those guys as I'm clearly not a manual worker, but I'm guessing they go home each night tired, but do they start work each morning with sore muscles? Surely not

As for the 2nd part then I really don't know enough to be able to argue about those guys, but I would say that using Mr Universe and those other genetic freaks to cite as examples of how the body works can't be right. If a training regime works for Mr Universe then it will work for me or you or Joe Public???

You are actually incorrect. When I first started working in the asphalt industry, I was a laborer. For my first two months I was physically miserable the entire time. Not just in the evening, not just in the morning, all of the time. After a couple of months of pushing myself, it started to ease up. Within another few weeks, it was completely gone.

As for the Olympians: you are correct, however I was comparing apples and oranges, even though they were in the same basket. Basically just showing that one can get a massive body by lifting like a wuss, but also by lifting like a monster. The difference is that the monster actually has some strength behind his muscles, while the other guy might as well be a cardboard cutout in comparison.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I like to go to aqua fit and swimming when I feel achy x