Best Rearview Mirror Options for Cycling?

Options
I bike on a hilly, somewhat winding, paved country road. There's a 2-foot, paved shoulder; however, I try to stay off the shoulder, unless I'm being passed, because of sharp gravel. I have a mirror mounted on the handlebar, but I have to readjust it often, depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill. Today, I used a "Take A Look" mirror mounted on my glasses. It tended to make my glasses slip. It helped some, and I kept looking in both mirrors, but I'm still not comfortable. Traffic is sparse, but generally traveling 60-70 mph, so I need to see vehicles at a good distance before they're on me. I can usually hear vehicles, unless I'm riding downhill. My bike is pretty noisy at downhill speeds.

I'm going to put the visor on my helmet and see if attaching the "Take A Look" mirror to the visor helps, but I wonder if there's a way to use mirrors without having to constantly **** my head in different directions. I considered the camera with a monitor mounted on the handlebar that I've seen advertised, but the reviews I've read have been negative.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I can't believe my post was censored! I promise I didn't say anything naughty.
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The best rearview mirror I've used was the Neck-turn 100. All you have to do is look over your shoulder! And then you're good to go
  • love22step
    Options
    The best rearview mirror I've used was the Neck-turn 100. All you have to do is look over your shoulder! And then you're good to go

Then I'd need a front view mirror to show me what where I was headed! :ohwell: I have to watch out for cracks, roadkill, broken glass, etc.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    have one that pops out of the end of my handlebar. I spend more time adjusting it than I do using it. I, too, was skeptical but the head turn is king.
  • 13pointUNO
    Options
    I tried a rear view mirror for a while, but I just found it more annoying than anything. I wouldn't put my tires anywhere near a road where cars are traveling that fast though; a mirror isn't gonna help you at that point.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I also have the HeadTurn 100 and swear by it.

If a driver sees you using the HeadTurn 100 they at least know you know they are there and tend to drive (a little) more carefully.

Happy cycling!

edit: spelling
  • love22step
    Options
    I wouldn't put my tires anywhere near a road where cars are traveling that fast though; a mirror isn't gonna help you at that point.

Unfortunately, it's my best option. Traffic on the road in front of my house is faster, and another road, with traffic maybe a tad slower and a little more sparsely traveled, is narrow and doesn't have paved shoulders. The mirrors have helped, but not as well as I'd like. Head turning seems to be the popular option, but I can't see myself enjoying my ride at all if I'm constantly turning to look back. For one thing, I'm still a rookie, and turning my head to look back is scary.

One of my gripes is "polite" drivers who slow down as they pass me. I know their intentions are good, and they're trying to be careful, but while I'm riding through the gravel on the shoulder, I want them to hurry and pass me so I can get back on the smooth pavement! :ohwell:
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had a cycling road safety course in the UK as a child and the first thing the instructor did was to take off my mirror, when I asked him why he positioned it so that it dazzled me in the sun and asked me to try to keep my eyes open !!! Mirrors on cycles are more trouble than they are worth and if you are that nervous on the roads perhaps it would be a good idea to practice turning your head somewhere safer until you get the hang of it? Good luck with the cycling and stay safe on that road !!