Okay it's getting closer, let's share Turkey recipes

Options
StevLL
StevLL Posts: 921 Member
:tongue: I share recipes on the BBQ club site I visit and thought I would get a thread going here.
Turkey Time! :bigsmile:
I have cooked Thanksgiving dinner at my house for that past 25 years or so. It's an out and out food fest. That is my favorite holiday because well, food, family, food, friends, food and did I mention food?
I usually do three stuffing’s, one regular, one chorizo, one oyster and clam
Artichoke salad, heavenly mashed taters, sweet potatoes, several squash dishes, homemade rolls, a turkey or two and sometimes a pork loin.
Chorizo Stuffing - mix is (I apologize for lack of measurements, but I cook by handful-o-this, pinch-o-that, dash-o-this technique)
2-3lbs Chorizo - I use pork and beef, but it could be done with whichever you like.
Old cornbread (I use Jalapeno cornbread mix, baking as I type), or cornbread stuffing mix. About a gallon jugs worth
2 - 7oz cans of diced chili’s, or about 6-8 diced fresh green chili’s
2 cans zesty corn
about 2 cups onions diced
about 2 cups celery diced
few cloves garlic -(I don't think anyone can use to much garlic) could be why I never get sick or have many friends)
about a cup of shredded cheddar
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
4-5 cups broth (I make mine with the gizzards and neck, but I've used Swanson’s just fine)
cook up chorizo (save drained fat for painting the bird later, gives great color)
then add onion and celery (oops forgot the stick of butter)
then in a bowl put it all together and add the amount of broth you like.
I like really moist stuffing so that it is ready to serve before putting it in the bird. (it keeps the bird from losing moisture to the stuffing and it still gets plenty of flavor from the bird)
I get chorizo seasoning and mix it in melted butter (2sticks) and freeze some of it to baste the bird in the breast (make slits in the breast under the skin, push in frozen butter) then stuff it and the rest of the mixture (not frozen) under the skin and on top. Then cook. I always have way more than fits in the bird, so I freeze some for later.
It's spicy, but it's a crowd pleaser.

I recommend inviting someone with CPR/1st aide training to dinner, as this is a butter laden artery clogging moment and may require EMT's to clear the lines.

I have been oven cooking Turkeys for years and a trick I use is melt down butter and add whatever spices I am using and then freeze some of it and slice it into sections 1/2" x 1" x 8". Then I run my carving knife into the breast in various spots under the skin and insert the frozen sections of flavored butter. At this time I will inject some wine into the same areas. I rub some of the mixture under and on the skin and cook it breast up and I haven't had to baste a bird in mid cook for 15 years, it comes out perfect every time.

I use a 60CC Horse syringe with a 14 ga needle; it works great for injecting the brine to speed up the process.
Last few years I’ve smoked several Turkey’s as well. They all came out pretty good, very moist and tender, the one that stands out was one I rubbed with a dry rub, then stuffed it with cut up Fuji apples and injected white balsamic vinegar into the breast, legs and thighs. The flavor was great, I was expecting it to fall off the bone, but it did carve nicely and was very moist.

Replies

• ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • lovingvampiress
    lovingvampiress Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yum I'm coming to your house for Thanksgiving..lol
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    During the fall holidays, I like to make this:

Arugula, Radicchio, Fennel, and Orange Salad (serves 4-6)

By: Gena

This is the perfect fall salad. The tart arugula and radicchio are balanced by the sweetness of fresh fennel and citrus, and the whole thing is brought together by a classic Dijon vinaigrette.

For the salad:
    2 bunches fresh arugula (about 12 oz)
    1 small head radicchio, chopped
    1 medium head fennel, shaved thinly
    1 large navel orange, supremed (ie, peel it, cut off the pith, and cut it into sections, being sure to remove all seeds)
    For the vinaigrette:
    6 tbsps olive oil
    3 tbsp lemon juice
    2 tbsp Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon white whine (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
    Toss the vinaigrette over the salad, mix, and enjoy!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am a cranberry sauce kinda gal, but never did like the canned stuff. Here's the one I like to make.

Cranberry Orange Relish

12 oz fresh cranberries, fresh
    1 can mandarin oranges, rinsed
    1/2 cup - 1 cup(s) sugar
    1 piece(s) ginger root, fresh, peeled, about 1-inch, chopped
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Cook the cranberries on the stove until they are mostly popped. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

One thing-if you are a fan of artificial sweeteners, I encourage not to use them in this recipe. I've tried it and it doesn't balance out the tartness very much at all. A half splenda/half sugar might work, though.
  • StevLL
    Options
    Thank for the ideas! :-)
  • StevLL
    Options
    Just not a juicy enough topic. :-(
    That turkey will be in three days though. :-)