Tips for Winter Skin!

Options
Hello!

Since I have become a Licensed Skin Therapist I get tons of questions about skin care. I thought I'd offer some of the tips I share with clients, friends, family, and those who email me. Right now the most common question is about dry winter skin. So here is my advise if you would like to know:

1. I can't say it nough, Water, water, water! Take your body weight, divide it in half, and that is the number of ounces of water you should drink per day. Not only will it help your skin, but it wil also help your weight loss efforts.

2. A warm mist humidifier works wonders. Cool mist humidifiers are helpful, but the warm mist in the winter time is the best. Run it at nighttime while you sleep. It will also help your allergies if you have them.

3. This is my favorite! Dry brushing. A dry brush can be found at the H&B section of almost any store. I bought mine at Target for under $4. Make sure is has natural bristles and don't ever get it wet, it will get stinky and fall apart. (Buy a serperate one for each member of the family)
*Before you shower, brush your skin gently TOWARD YOUR HEART:heart: . Start at your feet and work your way up.
*On the abdomen, brush in a clockwise motion around your belly button.
*Get even the bottoms of your feet and palms of your hands. Not much pressure is required and it will only take less than a minute to do the entire body.
*Do this before every shower. Make sure you are not showering in really hot water as this only dries the skin more.
:love: You will notice a difference in a matter of days and find that you don't even require lotion anymore.

What dry brushing does is release dead skin cells from the epidermis and stimulates cell renewal. This is a natural process and all you are doing is helping it out. This will also help with the symptoms of eczema and psorisis, but be extremely gentle in those areas. Also if you have skin conditions you should definately check with your dermatologist. Personally, I do have eczema and this has worked wonders for me.

Another tip: Check your moistuizers ingredients. SD alcohols, Lanolins, Mineral Oils... those are all ingredients that could worsen dry skin in most people. Lanolin is derived from a sheeps wool and is a product of thier oil glands. It is an allergen and found in most lotions, creams, and makeup. I say yuck to this, but thats just me.

Hope you fnd these tips helpful! If so, I may post more in the future.

Holly:flowerforyou:

Disclaimer: These tips are my professional advise only. I am licensed professional, but I am not a doctor. These tips are not a substitute for medical treatment and should be followed at your own risk.

Replies

• WatchMeLose
    WatchMeLose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great advice!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of dry brushing. My hubby has eczema like crazy, I'll have to look into that! Thanks!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have been dry brushing now before every shower for about 2 months and it really has done wonders for my skin. I don't have any skin problems or extremely dry skin to begin with....just the usual normal skin that gets dry and flaky in the winter. Using the dry brush method has completely gotten rid of the flakiness. I also switched my shower head to one that filters out the chlorine and that has done wonders for both my skin and hair!
  • KLSimpson
    Options
    I've been dry brushing for a couple years now, and I love it! It makes my skin unbelievably soft! My favorite moisturizer to use all over my body is extra virgin coconut oil. Not only does it smell wonderful, but it's completely natural, so I know there are no crazy chemicals being absorbed into my body.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these tips! I will definitely look into dry brushing.
  • SarahJoy_79
    Options
    I've been dry brushing for a couple years now, and I love it! It makes my skin unbelievably soft! My favorite moisturizer to use all over my body is extra virgin coconut oil. Not only does it smell wonderful, but it's completely natural, so I know there are no crazy chemicals being absorbed into my body.

I use100% pure organic jojoba oil instead of lotion. I like to know I'm not spreading chemicals all over my body too!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I have incredibly dry skin, even a little dry in the summer, so I am def thinking about picking up one of those brushes!! What I have found that helps is (drum roll, please)....Vaseline!! Straight vaseline on my face, and I get a lighter weight vaseline/cocoa butter blend for my body. Works great!
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Is this what ya'll use for dry brushing??

image001.gif
  • SarahJoy_79
    Options

image001.gif

Yes that looks pretty much identical to the one I use.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

image001.gif

Exactly! The one I have has a removable handle and that makes it easier to ues on the fronts and places I can reach. The handle reinserts to reach the back.

The site that this picture is from has some great tips and info on the other benefits of dry brushing. While it does say you can wash the brush, I would suggest making sure you have a sunny place to dry it in. When it starts to stink, its not a nice smell. You can also use a spray disinfectant that is made for makeup brushes.

Glad to see this is helpful.:bigsmile:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Think dry brushing would be good for KP too? I have it on the back or my arms and thighs and I am pretty sure near my ankles too
  • NykkieC
    Options
    Think dry brushing would be good for KP too? I have it on the back or my arms and thighs and I am pretty sure near my ankles too

Bump! I have this on my arms as well.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    hmm I'm going to have to try that dry brush idea. hmmm
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    It can help with a ton with KP. Microderabrasion and laser treatments can also help. I've yet to find solid evidence that you can completely get rid of those pesky bumps, but I will continue to research it!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    BTW: Dry brushing is also great for cellulite! Not a cure, but its very helpful in lessening the appearance!
  • Shannon023
    Options
    BTW: Dry brushing is also great for cellulite! Not a cure, but its very helpful in lessening the appearance!

That sealed it! I'm soooooooo getting a brush! :laugh:
  • NykkieC
    Options
    It can help with a ton with KP. Microderabrasion and laser treatments can also help. I've yet to find solid evidence that you can completely get rid of those pesky bumps, but I will continue to research it!

Awesome! I figured they wouldn't ever go away, it's more the redness that bothers me than the bumps themselves.
    Thanks again!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

Awesome! I figured they wouldn't ever go away, it's more the redness that bothers me than the bumps themselves.
    Thanks again!

Thank you!