push up form

Options
I'm in the Air Force, so push ups are a pretty big thing for us. I can do a decent amount in the required time, but people always balk at my form.

Not that my butt's up in the air or anything, it's just my hand positioning.

I usually have a very wide stance, my rationalization being that with my arms way out to the sides I can see whether or not I've gone down all the way. People tell me that with a wide position like that I'm going to injure my shoulders.

So my question is, how much truth is there to that? And anybody got tips on how to up your amount of push ups with a narrower stance? I'm absolute garbage at shoulder-width or closer. Could use the help! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    For Aust army your hands have to be underneath your shoulders
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Oh Jesus ****ing Christ...you are not going to injure your shoulder doing wide stance push ups. People do wide grip bench pressing with several times what you weigh.

What you have developed is figuring out your body's best point of leverage for this movement. Congratulations on thinking, unlike most people I see asking for form advice.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yes, bring your arms in closer. put the stress on your muscles, not your ligaments.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Depending on how wide you're going, maybe. If you're not trying to knock out as many as possible on a PT test, for training purposes do pushups using yoga form. Straight back, abs in tight (like you're about to be punched in the gut), hands directly under the sholders, and lower with your elbows headed straight back, arms brushing the sides of your torso. This will keep you from injuring yourself and give you total body strength you won't get from sloppy pushups.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Depending on how wide you're going, maybe. If you're not trying to knock out as many as possible on a PT test, for training purposes do pushups using yoga form. Straight back, abs in tight (like you're about to be punched in the gut), hands directly under the sholders, and lower with your elbows headed straight back, arms brushing the sides of your torso. This will keep you from injuring yourself and give you total body strength you won't get from sloppy pushups.

^^^ - exactly like this. In Yoga it is called Phalankasana, moving slooo-wwly down to a few inches off the floor, called Chateranda Dandasana - Enjoy!
  • TimeWarp9
    Options
    Army here. When I was in basic training I had a tough time doing pushups. My drill sergeant told me that he didn't understand why, but that women seemed to be able to do the wide-armed pushups easier. He was correct (for me) and that is how I've been doing them ever since. His implication was that wide armed pushups are more difficult for men. ???

Either form was correct, though. Whichever works best for you!
  • afss07
    afss07 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Thank you! I'll definitely try doing that! I guess the idea with that is to do it slow, and not worry about numbers, just form?
    Either form was correct, though. Whichever works best for you!

Yeah, they technically count as push ups, it's just I always get these pained stares from people who tell me I'm going to hurt myself. I mean, they're crazy wide!
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options

Thank you! I'll definitely try doing that! I guess the idea with that is to do it slow, and not worry about numbers, just form?

quality over quantity
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Using wide stance is a little easier becuse you are working fewer muscles and those that are used to being workied on the machines. CLosing the gap forces you to change the muscles used. Since they aren't used to this amount of "stress" the pushups are harder. It's all in building. Beginners should start wider and move closer as you become comfortable.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Making a diamand w/ your hands is best to strengthen your core and sculpt.

Search for Hannibal for King on youtube....watch his beginners video. Its pretty sick.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Making a diamand w/ your hands is best to strengthen your core and sculpt.

Search for Hannibal for King on youtube....watch his beginners video. Its pretty sick.

Sick, huh? is it Hannibal Lector then?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hands wide is terrible for your shoulders. The angle of your arm bone in your shoudler is very poor for shoulder support.

Hands wide pushups are easier because you reduce the range of motion substantially.

Yes wide grip benching is common. What % of people with better than beginner strength on the bench have no shoulder soreness overhead? Overhead shoulder soreness is about as common as wide grip benching. Hmmmm......

Hands under the shoulders, elbows by your sides, is by far the safest and most effective way to do pushups.

To be able to do more pushups, you should do more pushups. This isn't rocket science. Do lots of pushups and over time you'll be able to do more and more.