35 yr old hypothyroid...70 pounds gained in 9 months

Options
Hello everyone.. wondering if anyone is dealing with hypothyroidism have any info or support as its all new to me and struggling with sudden rapid weight gain and meds?

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Welcome to MFP. I, too, struggle with hypothyroidism and am on meds for it. I find that no matter how much I work out or how low my calories are, I still struggle to lose just 1lb a week. I've been trying to lose weight for 4 months and have lost 30lbs. I frequently get frustrated, but I refuse to give up. I am still losing all kinds of hair and have trouble sometimes regulating my temperature and my eyebrows are disappearing, all symptoms of hypothyroidism. It sucks, but it's the hand I've been dealt and I'm doing the best I can. Add me as a friend if you would like support and motivation.
  • NeonGreenMachine83
    Options
    Hi-I have hypothyroidism. I am struggling too-you're not alone. You just have to take it step by step. Ohh so sorry to hear you're losing hair-I've been there even before I knew I had the disease. Not fun! Oh my gosh, tell me about the temperature going up and down, its annoying. LOL I will definitely add you-we can get through this together!
  • Crystalagain22
    Crystalagain22 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wow, can I relate to that. Back when I was 21 I pretty much gained the same amount in the same amount of time. It's a constant struggle and not many people understand how much of a struggle it really is. I wish I could help weight wise, but I just joined myself to see if I would do better with support. I will say I've lost a tiny amout in just 2 days. As it was climbing quickly, i'm cautiously optimistic. I'm so glad to see there are many other people here that also understand :)
  • giggles213
    giggles213 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just requested my dr to have my thyroid checked because I think something might be wrong... I am hoping not.. but is there a way you can work with your dr on the weight gain? It does not sound like that is too healthy.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypo in March and am still working on getting my medication regulated. I had new labs done last week with a new Endo, and she's willing to put me on T3 if that comes back low again. It was low in June, but my GP wouldn't prescribe T3.

I do JUDDD and have lost very well with it, even before my diagnosis. There are several other women I know who do JUDDD and who are also hypothyroid and have had good success. I think, because it's alternating between low calories one day and high calories the next, it confuses the metabolism enough where it doesn't seem to matter if you have thyroid disease or not. It's not for everyone, but I thought I'd put it out there in case you're interested.