Do you believe what they say about "starvation mode"?

Options
13»

Replies

• norwichman
    norwichman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My new RMR at this lower weight is 2000 calories, i ate 1750 today (+250 because of exercise) so my deficit is 500 calories/day

This is a weight loss of 1 pound a week (0.5KG). As long as I see that weight come off every week then I'm happy.
  • JSlattery79
    JSlattery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    People who believe this REALLY believe it. You're not going to change their minds.

However, your body is designed to lose fat for fuel. To lose weight, you need a deficit. If you have no fat, your body will try to protect itself, but if you've got a lot of extra LBS, then your body will use that.

But, you're just asking for trouble posting it here :P

this is good to know!!!
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I dont know about "starvation mode" but for me it seems that if you don't eat enough (and enough is individual for your specific self) your metabolism slows doen causing weight loss to slow. I was losing weight pretty steady for a long time then for a reason we still don't know my appettite completely stopped. I was eating only dinner (a healthy dinner, but still just dinner) and drinking only water. I stopped losing weight at the same rate I had been. I had little energy. I was so confused. I started exercising convinced that was why I was not losing at the same rate. Stopped losing all together. Just about that time i joined MFP and started tracking my food. I was shocked to learn I was only eating about 600 calories a day and should have been eating about 1800. I met with the Health Coach at work and she told me the same thing, I needed to eat more. I forced myself to start eating breaskfast and lunch. The first week of that I lost 2 pounds and have lost 1-2 a week since.

I honestly beleive that some people just call a slow down metabolism starvation mode because it is catchier. **shrug**
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh, and you don't burn fat in "starvation mode" your body actually breaks down muscle (you know, like what your organs are made of).

Um, no. :huh:
    Your muscles, heart and blood vessels are made of muscle. Other organs (although they contain blood vessels) are not technically "made of muscle".
    People with anorexia can die because their organs fail to function properly because of extreme denutrition (macro AND micronutrients), which also leads to organ atrophy. Moreover the brain suffers and there is a serious hormonal imbalance.

I don't think that this extreme case should be considered while debating about "starvation mode".
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I dont know about "starvation mode" but for me it seems that if you don't eat enough (and enough is individual for your specific self) your metabolism slows doen causing weight loss to slow. I was losing weight pretty steady for a long time then for a reason we still don't know my appettite completely stopped. I was eating only dinner (a healthy dinner, but still just dinner) and drinking only water. I stopped losing weight at the same rate I had been. I had little energy. I was so confused. I started exercising convinced that was why I was not losing at the same rate. Stopped losing all together. Just about that time i joined MFP and started tracking my food. I was shocked to learn I was only eating about 600 calories a day and should have been eating about 1800. I met with the Health Coach at work and she told me the same thing, I needed to eat more. I forced myself to start eating breaskfast and lunch. The first week of that I lost 2 pounds and have lost 1-2 a week since.

I honestly beleive that some people just call a slow down metabolism starvation mode because it is catchier. **shrug**
    Your appetite went down the toilet due to decreased leptin concentration levels.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" is your body's way of protecting itself from famine. Your body needs glucose in order to preform cellular metabolism. Also the main reason that people that severely restrict their calories feel mentally sluggish is that about 80% of your energy needs are to your brain. Oh, and you don't burn fat in "starvation mode" your body actually breaks down muscle (you know, like what your organs are made of). That is why anorexia nervosa kills you. Eventually your organs fail.

Not true. Your body will burn off fat before it burns off muscle. Anorexia nervosa will kill you because there is no more fat to burn, so it has to burn something to stay alive. If people don't eat, their metabolism doesn't "shut down". Their body will burn anything it can to stay alive in hopes that a meal is around the corner. Metabolism might SLOW down, but it never STOPS. If you eat at a caloric deficit (and nothing is a deficit), you WILL lose weight.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Your appetite went down the toilet due to decreased leptin concentration levels.

What's that?
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Metabolism might SLOW down, but it never STOPS.

You mean in alive people right? Metabolism stops when one's dead... which is not what we want :bigsmile:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I believe in a slow metabolism due to severe calorie restriction... for sure...
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Boooooooring............how often this will you guys restart this starvation crap?

:huh:

your comment is so inspiring especially for new members who are still finding their way round this site, very welcoming.

It has the beauty of being succinct.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Registered Texas Dietition
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions?page=16
    The idea that your body's metabolism will slow down to such an extend that you will not lose weight on a large caloric deficit is complete myth. Some people can make it seem like a reasonable assumption citing metabolic processes, and hormone functions but the real world result is that eating less makes you lose weight. If you are overweight, you do not need to worry about "starvation mode"
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I dont know whether I believe in 'starvation mode' as such. What I do know, is that last year, I was working out up to 3 hours a day, and eating a low calorie diet. Did my body change? No, and I was constantly tired and hungry. My body has changed more in the past couple of months through heavy lifting, and eating well , then it did in a whole year of trying to beast it out.

And happyfeetrebel, that woman on your profile pic does not have 'killer legs'. she has like no muscle on her thighs whatsoever.

Yeah but her thighs don't touch.

Which apparently is some kind of holy grail goal around here.

2hdnszs.jpg

Now theres some thighs!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Boooooooring............how often this will you guys restart this starvation crap?

:huh:

your comment is so inspiring especially for new members who are still finding their way round this site, very welcoming.

... and helps new members avoid the myth
    It has the beauty of being succinct.