charlie horses!!!

Options
I cannot remember if it is salt or potassium that helps them after working out? I drink at least 30oz of water while working out and I get them in my feet after I am done and doing my stretching. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Potassium is supposed to help. I've been eating 2 bananas a day and taking my vitamins and it's worked pretty well for me so far.
  • leesapeesa
    Options
    i think potassium! eat bananas!! maybe you need vitamins also.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I try to eat bananas several times a week - really helps me.
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My husband was getting charlie horses and his doctor told him to start taking a magnesium supplement, which helped.
  • splooshcar
    Options
    I get the same cramps in my feet occasionally, especially during pigeon pose. I usually pause, take a minute to stretch out my feet (before they really cramp up), and sink back into the leg stretch.
    How long do the cramps last? Minutes, hours, days?
    What type of exercise were you doing? Does it help to do additional cool down (ie. extra 5 min of walking)?
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I've actually heard it an be both!

In my personal experience, bananas help the most because I'm a self-admitted salt fiend and I KNOW I always have more than enough salt in my body. lol

If you eat enough salt, its more than likely the potassium. But the best thing would probably be to play around with it and see what's best for you. Maybe after you've been eating bananas for a while you're still getting them, so you might need to up your salt intake just a bit.