DISCOURAGED

Options
I've actually lost a total of 44 lbs, but I'm still overweight by BMI calculations. I've had to buy new clothes which was fun at first. I see pics of the new me and I'm still fat. I felt like I had come so far, but in reality I'm only halfway there. This is such a long process for me. My husband lost over 100 lbs in 7 months and I've only won half the battle. This is going to work ,right?! I will be thin eventually if I stick to this, right?

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Of course!!

There is no race or no definative end deadline you must meet. Every single time you shred a single lb you're taking less stress off your heart, lungs, limbs and mind and thats a positive more. You dont need to lose it straight away you just need to keep the direction the same and not worry about the end point.

What are you going to do when you get there? your aim should be to do the same but with slightly more calories. Its not a journey to a point where you can ;'eat normal' again or 'stop exercising' as that was your old life.

Slow down and enjoy the transformation journey :)
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You've already lost 44lbs. That's more than most people could ever dream of losing for starters.
    Just keep at it and keep going, it's hard when you have to come from so far behind to catch up with people, for example, I was so slim that it took me ages just to get to a 'healthy' weight, and now I need to go on further. That middle point can be a really downer, but just push through.
  • noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Discouragement sometimes creeps in, but a 44 lb loss is terrific! You are doing it! Don't compare your results to anyone else. Keep up the good work!
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes!
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I, like you, am half-way to my goal. I am so very thankful that I am no longer at the start and can have the proof that this is working every week when it's time to weigh in. Hang in there. Weight that is lost slowly is more likely to stay off.
  • mountaincat4
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to another person, especially with weight loss. Your speed is your own, it's all about a lifestyle change. It takes commitment, and a lot of good choices to get to where you are going. Your success so far is awesome.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It took me about 15 months to lose 100 pounds, and I'm just about half-way to where I'm going too. Men always seem to lose weight faster than women. This isn't a race or a competition. It's about getting healthier, and everybody has a different pace/rate, so don't compare yourself to how someone else is doing.

Know that you're on the right track, and you will get there if you stay the course. You're doing awesome!!!
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    You'll get there! Just keep plugging away. Try to think of this as a lifetime journey where you are working every day to improve over the previous. Don't focus on an endpoint as much as focusing on continual improvement.
  • grinner30
    grinner30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I am down 50 Lbs but I am still....hmmm lumpy? :laugh:

But like you I have new clothes. You will get there and it will come about faster than you think. 44 lbs is amazing! Keep it up and in 5 months I bet your outlook will be 180 degrees in the other direction!

Great job! Keep calm and keep sweating! :tongue:
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Like life, this quest to get fitter, lead a healthier lifestyle and lose weight is a process, not a destination. Take joy in where you are now and continue to make necessary changes to get where you want to be. When you get there you will decide on a new place to be and will make your plans to get there. Just make sure you are making the plans and choices and not others. Hold your head up - you have done a great job so far. Go forth and prosper!
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's definitely unfair men can lose weight so quickly! My husband lifts weights at the gym for twenty minutes while I am doing cardio for an hour and we get the same results. If I even look at junk food the weight immediately creeps back on! It gets discouraging, but I remind myself that I really want to reach my goal weight and I am not going to give up!!!
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I understand this. I too have about 80lbs total to lose and have only lost 15 in the past 3 months despite a lot of exercise and calorie counting. I feel much better but everyone loses differently. Keep at it. It will be worth it.
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Men lose easier than we do and bigger people lose faster than smaller people. You cannot compare your weight loss journey to his. It's not comparing apples to apples. Don't beat yourself up by doing that. You're doing good and you just need to stay on your journey.

I read an article just yesterday where the writer did a pretty good job of explaining why: http://johnbarban.com/weight-loss-fallacies-2lbs-per-week-and-1200-calories-per-day/
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You have come so far! 44 lbs is a lot! I know it's discouraging to look at your husband's success, but men have it easier in losing weight typically. Don't give up, because putting the weight back on is no fun when you want it back off (I'm going through this now). You may just need to change things up to kickstart your weightloss again, such as different exercise or different foods.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. You have done such a wonderful job! Don't stop now. I'm like you I am within 3 lbs of being 1/2 way. I started at 260 and am now 213. I'm 5'7 1/2" Seems like forever, but just think it didn't take us a short time to put all of the weight on and it's going to take a while to come off. Friend me if you'd like and we'll get the rest of this off forever!!! :bigsmile:
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    NEVER...NEVER...NEVER judge your weight loss progress against that of a male...It is a fact of life that men are able to lose fat (weight) much quicker then women. Blame it on mother nature who uses fat to store human female hormones. If you have lost 30+ pounds...you have and are making fantastic progress. As somebody said...just keep plugging away...You are doing great!
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I understand this. I too have about 80lbs total to lose and have only lost 15 in the past 3 months despite a lot of exercise and calorie counting. I feel much better but everyone loses differently. Keep at it. It will be worth it.

Leslie, the calories burned are, in my opinion, overestimated therefore if you eat them ALL back, there is a good chance you're negating your calorie deficit. I had to stop eating mine back to get the weight off. You might want to consider trying that, too.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    OP can we have some stats?
    Maybe you are focusing on the wrong things.

Weight
    Body Fat%
    Workout routine
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    This is going to work ,right?! I will be thin eventually if I stick to this, right?
    Your alternative is to quit and gain it all back. The choice is yours.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You're doing very well, by giving up you would just be deciding to go back to old ways and then regret it and start all over again when you could just be at goal!