Muscle ache with new exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest things I've learned about exercise and my body since I started this journey is the difference between stiff and sore and pain - stiff and sore means I've had a good workout and if I do another workout that goes away - my first workout in years was a bodypump class and I was almost in tears going down the stairs to go to work the next day my legs hurt so bad - however since then each workout is a bit better - still stiff and sore but not pain. If you're in pain you may have injured yourself and I'd say less weight. But as someone else mentioned - if the program is designed to be done each day - then I'd try to do it each day - however since its your body and you know it best - taking a day off wont be devastating - but you might be even more sore when you pick it back up - if it was me - I'd take a couple ibuprofen, drink an extra bottle of water or two - do the workout and definately have a protein shake with a spoon of glutamine in it after the workout (glutamine helps me ALOT with the muscle soreness post workout!) Good Luck
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not just 'thinking I can't do it' I tried, and I CAN'T.

My arms won't bend past my inner elbow (that's where the biggest pains are) my legs and tummy are a lot better after a steamy shower.

My arm joints though, still as painful as this morning and not easing...I had tried ice, hot shower, massage... IF it goes, I will continue today, but if not, I'm not going to push myself dangerously just to say I done it consecutively. Like, I needed help to pick up a glass of water, maybe I'm not stressing how sore it actually is.... I am hoping it will be better in the morning, and I also think the 1kg weights have something to do with it, but they are the lightest I could fins so went ahead with that and it felt totally fine - until today.

As a note, I cannot take a protein shake because the phosphorous content in them irritates my kidneys for days.... I ate a tin of tuna and chickpeas with a spinach salad afterwards, then more chicken after that..

Also worth mentioning, I'm not really looking for 30 days quick fix results, I just thought it was a good programme for general exercise I could start, so I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks for the replies.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Done a little cardio so the day wasn't completely wasted, feeling a little better now and hopefully a good night of sleep will help.
    Thanks all.