No Carb Diet?

Options
What do you eat when you're on a no carb diet, it seems like everything has carbs involved in it? Any suggestions?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Because "no carb" is just about impossible.

Do you perhaps mean a low-carb diet?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat. Although you might want to reconsider doing a zero carb diet.

Reducing or doing a low carb diet is fine and in some cases, preferrable (some variables go into that). I can't think of a circumstance where completely eliminating carbs is a good idea. Fruits and vegetables are carbs and they're quite nutrient dense.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS with insulin resistance. Lowering carbs is pretty much the best bet for me to lose any weight. I eat whole grain bread AND pasta but try to avoid BOTh when I can. Even limiting my fruit, I would eat it all day long but limit myself to 1-2 servings a day.

But I have NO idea why one would do a NO carb diet....
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    double post :(
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Your body needs glucose (a carb) for brain function, so no carb is a horrible idea, but enough semantics.

LOW-carb, LOTS AND LOTS of veggies, a few pieces of fruit (natural sugar = carbs...) protein and fat.

For example... bacon and eggs for breakfast, almonds as a snack, Chicken breast with spinach salad for lunch, apple and a few grapes for a snack, meatloaf and broccoli+cauliflower for dinner.
  • dutch52
    dutch52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    although I doont agree about no carb diets I am interested as to why you are considering it? Might be easier to answer your question with this understanding ;-)
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree with low carb, but don't think a no carb is sustainable, even for a couple of days. I've been following Dukan diet for months now, really low carb. I don't eat any starch, only meat and veg, very limited fruit. I aim for between 50 - 70 grams of carbs a day, mostly from wholegrain breakfast and milk or cheese etc. I've found low carb is the easiest way for me to lose weight, but every person has different opinions regarding what works for them.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    too extreme, carbs are a normal part of healthy and nutritient dense diets, to eliminate them would imply no fruits, veggies, whole grains, even things like milk, you need carbs especially if you work out, I would never advise someone to eat no carbs and 99% of the time I would try like hell to talk someone out of low carb as well
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Sorry maybe I should have said low- carb diet.. I'm just not sure what to eat. Or how it works and everything online leads me to buying a book or something and I'm broke.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You don't need to buy a book.

Why are you considering low carb? Yes, many people find that it works, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea for everybody.

Each body is unique, and you'll need to do a little experimenting to see what level works for you. For me, I aim for around 100g (though really, this is anywhere between 80-150g per day)

Foods to avoid - starchy things like pasta, rice, potatoes, bread. You can still eat them, just less of them.
    Foods that have carbs, but are very good for you, are your frutis and vegetables. Sugary fruits (like bananas) have a higher carb level than the veggies.

Foods that really have no carbs - meats, cheese, nuts. These all of course have a high fat content, so it's not healthy to restrict your diet solely to this group.
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've been eating low carb (around 70 carbs/day or less) Monday-Thursday each week, and I know it can be tricky to find foods. As someone else suggested, bacon/eggs, or eggs with some sort of meat in the morning is good. Throughout the day I snack on tuna, cheese, sometimes an apple, etc. Lunch today is a piece of pickerel with a parmesan crust (no bread crumbs, so a lower carb option that is still tasty). Dinner will likely be steak tonight, but last night it was fish. I would probably include a salad as well.

Veggies and fruits will have carbs, but any diet that says you shouldn't have these is nuts. Veggies in particular are your friends!

The veggies/fruits I'm staying away from are bananas (roughly 30 carbs in one-- crazy!), corn, etc.

I'm not sure how much weight you're trying to lose, but I find that you actually see better results if you eat low carb four days in a row, then a normal amount three days in a row. Keeps your body guessing, and you don't go crazy on carbs when you can have them because you're not feeling deprived.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a slow-carb diet. I eat meat, beans, and nuts and also incorporate vegetables and a small amount of dairy and fruit. I initially tried the 4HB diet, but I wasn't getting enough calcium and I was craving something sweet besides the teaspoon of peanut butter I was allowed each day so now I put low-fat milk in my protein shakes and occasionally have an apple or orange as a snack.

Maybe I would see faster results if I eliminated all carbs, but I just don't think I can stick with that strict of a diet. I wanted to make a life change - not go on another crash diet.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    'No carb' makes no sense from a logical or health point of view.

And this is from someone who has restricted their carbs a lot (<50g/day) for 6 months with much success.

If you eat a steak, you will get some carbohydrate.

If you eat spinach you will get carbohydrate, and a whole host of good stuff too.

Eat an apple ... some carbohydrate, some fibre, some other good stuff.

I agree with SandraNancy that keeping the body guessing isn't a bad idea.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What do you eat when you're on a no carb diet
    Olive oil and protein isolate ?