new-need advice on diettng and weight loss!

I’m new to the whole dieting and working out scene so I need some advice!! I am 21 and had a baby about 2 years ago- I didn’t lose any of my baby weight  mostly because I just ate and ate and ate! I’ve started working out five days a week..30 minutes on the elliptical as on level 7 out of 10. As well as some crunches and sit-ups. So now- I’m sticking to 3 meals a day, light breakfast, salad for lunch, and whatever I make for dinner. I usually stick around 1200 calories a day. Am I setting myself up for success or is there something else I should be doing? I’m on day 5 now and haven’t lost a pound.

Thanks for the suggestions

Replies

• mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Go look through a few posts. Most women who hit plateaus are on 1200 calories (or some even less). It's too little unless you are REALLY short. Your body needs fuel to burn fat, it's not going to just burn a lot of fat in one go (that's why they don't suggest that people with a lot of weight to lose simply stop eating altogether, because it's not that simple).

Work our your BMR and TDEE - for good results, you daily calorie target should be somewhere in the middle of these two, otherwise you may end causing more harm than good (metabolism slowing down to an absolute crawl).