Protein Shake vs. Real Food

Options
So the question is pretty simple... What do you personally think is better. If you have some science (real science and i mean that i will go on a legit lit review on every source) to back up your thoughts then please do so by all means. I have struggled for this one for a while. I have a martial arts mentor(about 3 years ago) who has been amazing and given me amazing advice about a range of topics. He truly introduced me to the gym and started showing me how fitness not only depends on exercise but your diet as well. I'll makes this short....i basically got into protein shakes.

Now when i start first having them i noticed a slight.....slim down. However, after that i bulked back up. Weird. So very weird. Maybe i was eating badly initially and not as good as i am now. Along with protein shakes i did only egg whites, no simple carbs, all the "right" things and after about 1 1/2 of not seeing results i basically said F IT and started eating what i want but whole food. Like whole eggs, fruit here and there, lots of veggies, only whole wheat carbs, simple carbs ONLY after a workout, let myself indulge if i want to.

Seemed to work out better for me. I love real whole foods. I also like cooking with butter and olive oil. Not a lot but enough. Let me know what you guys think.

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Real food is always going to win because your getting more nutrients. I don't think science is needed to make that clear. REAL food vs a protein shake that probably has a lot of extras in the powder ingredients.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I always did protein shakes, but now I do Shakeology which has a ton of veg/probiotics/healthy stuff in it. More carbs in it than in my straight protein powder, but I feel it helps fill in food gaps. There really is no way to say this stuff without sounding like an infomercial...I give up. LOL!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are fine as supplements to "real" food, not a substitute. It's just another source of protein, like chicken.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I only use protein shakes as a supplement to the protein I'm already getting. I find it pretty difficult to get enough protein right now with my living situation and not being able to eat nuts/PB, so I get all I can and then use a protein shake to help on top of that. I absolutely prefer real food, though.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Real food is always going to win because your getting more nutrients. I don't think science is needed to make that clear. REAL food vs a protein shake that probably has a lot of extras in the powder ingredients.

Agreed. Common sense, not scientific studies, should tell you that real food trumps packaged powder every time. I understand why people use powder, especially if they can't meet their calorie or protein needs...but better than real whole/unpackaged food? Absolutely not.
  • babzog
    babzog Posts: 19
    Options
    I use protein powder to get a big dose of protein in a small calorie package. Sometimes, I just don't feel like staring at and chewing down 2 chicken breasts to get that 35g protein when I can quaff down a small shake in seconds, getting the same protein count for far fewer calories. I can have a good sized supper but still have a whackload of protein to get in me... the thought of more food is often nauseating but a small shake (tastes like chocolate milk, kinda) or 8oz plain greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder mixed in is perfect to max out the protein requirement.

Another fav is an egg white scramble with a whole egg thrown in. There are flavoured egg whites that offer the same protein count with negligible calorie increase... a 6 egg white scramble and 1 whole egg gives you 30g protein and only 167 calories!

Now, with the egg whites and powders, the research goes like this: because they are the purest form of protein, the body can only absorb 25g or thereabouts in a 45min - 1hr timeframe, the rest is wasted. So, space out your pure proteins - have dinner, then dessert (my greek yogurt detailed above) an hour later. Or, you come home from work, take a scoop of protein powder, do whatever (nap, cut the grass, process firewood [what I'm doing these days], watch TV, whatever) for an hour or so till suppertime, then eat, wait and have dessert if you still need more.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with protein powder, i use it for the majority of my protein needs. Keeps me fuller than "real" food, and its a tasty treat i get to have 3-4 times a day.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Now, with the egg whites and powders, the research goes like this: because they are the purest form of protein, the body can only absorb 25g or thereabouts in a 45min - 1hr timeframe, the rest is wasted. So, space out your pure proteins - have dinner, then dessert (my greek yogurt detailed above) an hour later. Or, you come home from work, take a scoop of protein powder, do whatever (nap, cut the grass, process firewood [what I'm doing these days], watch TV, whatever) for an hour or so till suppertime, then eat, wait and have dessert if you still need more.

I have never heard this. Do you have a resource you got this from? Or have you just heard it?
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I agree with Baxgilter on this one. I really do not know if this is true. I realized that it is much easier (for me) to have three meals a day plus a dessert or something. I'm able to space out my calories better and plus i don't get hungry that way. I found that if i eat 5 meals 1. i feel like i'm constantly eating 2. if i dont i grab the wrong things.

Regardless i feel like powders should almost be used in a bind. They don't give you all the nutrition you need and plus it tastes only ok. Food is amazing and tastes wonderful. Who in the world wants to chomp down 2 dry pieces of chicken breast.....not me. Make food that not only TASTES GOOD but is GOOD FOR YOU
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are fine as supplements to "real" food, not a substitute. It's just another source of protein, like chicken.

I just add the powder to other things..like my oatmeal to supplement my protein because I just cant injest that "volume" of real food - unless you are talking about eating steak for breakfast /lunch/dinner..then my pocketbook can't afford it LOL
  • babzog
    Options

I have never heard this. Do you have a resource you got this from? Or have you just heard it?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/protein3.htm#1

Search the page for "Downsides Of High Biological Value Products"

For reference:

"Downsides Of High Biological Value Products:

The downside of the rapid is that the protein is rendered useless within the body quickly. This is why large amounts of high Biological Value products, like whey should not be consumed in large quantities.

High Biological Value products, like whey should be consumed more frequently (every 40-60 minutes) and in smaller quantities (15-20 grams), to avoid this problem. Consuming 50 grams of whey in one sitting will result in 25 to 50 percent of the product being wasted (assuming the protein has not denatured)."

Egg whites and whey protein are both rated as the best forms of protein (highest biological value).
  • babzog
    Options
    Who in the world wants to chomp down 2 dry pieces of chicken breast.....not me. Make food that not only TASTES GOOD but is GOOD FOR YOU

I love food that tastes good... unfortunately, for me, making chicken breasts taste good involves more than simply sprinkling on some rosemary and tossing in the oven. I like Indian curries or BBQ sauces, all of which, unfortunately, contain sugar, fats and lots of calories. Given that I'd rather avoid intaking a lot of calories through a minute amount of sauce, I try not to use them to any great length.

Unfortunately, I'm a very uninspired chef - I still follow a recipe to make pancakes, which still turn out like crap and, topping off the insult, are usually burnt. Sounds like an excuse, I know, I make no bones about that. Was never gifted with the ability to open the fridge and cupboard and turn "stuff" into "food". Before I met my wife, I ate a lot of junk and processed foods, punctuated by an occasional restaurant or home-cooked meal. About the only things I can cook decently, are breakfast and BBQ.