Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Strength training calories

Is there a way to find out how many calories are burned doing strength training? I am using weights every day in some form and I KNOW I am burning calories. It may not be much but at this point every little bit helps.

Replies

• al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    You can use the strength training listed under cardio here on MFP, but it's really a shot in the dark. To the best of my knowledge, you really need a heart rate monitor to get a correct calories burned.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    if you are doing circuit training, go to the cardio portion and type in circuit training and the duration and that will give you a calorie burned amount. otherwise if you are doing easy lifting, i would say still type in circuit training and only put in half the duration that you actually did.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    You can use the strength training listed under cardio here on MFP, but it's really a shot in the dark. To the best of my knowledge, you really need a heart rate monitor to get a correct calories burned.

HRMs don't accurately account for calories burned for strength training, i.e. heavy lifting.
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 138 Member
    Buy a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. You will set it with your age, weight, height & gender and it will give you a accurate amount of calories and let you know if you are working in your target heart rate range. They are well worth the money. I have a Polar F4 which I have had for over 5 yrs without a problem.
  • nicolemarie1978
    nicolemarie1978 Posts: 53 Member
    I wear my HRM (with a chest strap) and record my calories burned that way. Then I log it under the cardio section. :)
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    I always wear my HRM, but a couple of times I looked up circuit training and put in the time. MFP gave a lot more calories burned, so be advised.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member

I have a HRM. It works great for me. You may be able to find one cheap enough. I would look into it.