Do you adjust your weight settings if you have put weight on

Options
Hi what do other people do, I have just come back from a holiday and have put 5lbs on, which is not great, but I am getting back on track. Anyway, do you adjust your weight settings to reflect this. I weighed myself this morning and have lost 1lb, so if I updated that weight loss on here it would not be a true record of where I am at the moment. Just wanted to know what other people do:smile:

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    If I know it will come off in the next week or 2 I don't change my weight up. I've made a pack with myself it it goes on 3 or 4 weeks I'll post it up. Haven't had to do that.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I don't adjust it up on a daily basis. I find my weight can go up 2 pounds one day, back down the next. But if I haven't logged on for several days - say a trip or something - I do a "restart" when I get back and log my actual weight. I do find it usually drops back down after a day or two of being back on the program. But I figure I might as well be honest with myself.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week and regardless of whether i've gone up or down I always log it.
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    I weigh in once a week and regardless of whether i've gone up or down I always log it.
    Yep same here
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I recorded the first 2-pound gain. Now I've gained another pound, and I can't bear to post it. The counter is supposed to be moving in the other direction!

I'll delete my account first.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I wait, if my weight is still up in 2 weeks I post the gain, but otherwise my weight is up and down all the time by a few lbs. so I don't post that.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yep same here

Mostly this. The only exception is if I know its water gain and I suspect it'll be gone the NEXT DAY, I may delay my weigh in by 1 day. But only 1 extra day and if I'm still up, it gets recorded.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly and log what it says. I'm in the same boat in that I've recently got back from holiday. I had a 9lb gain on the scales the day after getting back but then 5 days later I weighed again (to get back to my usual weigh in day) and 8lbs of it had gone, so give it a few days and you may find the same.

I wouldn't have felt right leaving my ticker showing a higher loss that I'd achieved.
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    yup - definitely log it. what's nice about MFP is that it doesn't announce to the world that i've put on weight, or that i've even weighed in.
  • dnt3v
    dnt3v Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I gain I don't log it. I use the old number as motivation to get back on track :)
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i dont update gains no matter what... bc usually i know its just water weight considering its a pound or two OVERNIGHT! lol... but if i steadily gained week to week i would probably update it and take a serious look at my activities and food to see where i might be going wrong
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily right now and I don't log little gains.

Now if it was something like I had stopped trying for a time and then came back I would. But mostly I have water fluctuations that I know are not really gains, so I don't see the point in logging them when they will be gone in a day or two.

I have noticed my weight will flutter around the same point 3-4 days per week and in a row. Then suddenly I will have 2-3 days where I lose each day. It is weird, my body seems to be on a schedule. But as long as I stay on this downward ride, I don't log those minor gains.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I only log my losses.
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Those small 2-5 lb gains are like you said , just water weight. That's why it's suggested to not weigh daily because a lot of people see that fluctuation and think they are not losing weight. I weigh every morning sometimes but only log my weight once a week on the same day at the same time. That's a more accurate gauge of your weight. :smile:
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate about 3-4 pounds. If my weight goes up but stays within those 3-4 pounds I don't log. like other have said it is likely just water weight. I'd probably log 5lbs and up (it hasn't happened yet though and I really hope it doesn't ).
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure what the point of using a logging site is if you only log the weigh-ins that please you though. It's like logging all foods except chocolate for example. You're not getting the true overall picture.

That said though, everyone thinks differently and you must do what motivates you.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    If it stays on for more than a couple weeks then yeah, I do. I don't want to, but I do it anyway. I've had a tough year and my counter used to say 42 lb lost. I feel it would be dishonest and demotivating to leave it like that.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I log the ups and downs, but only once a week at most. If I'm up I'll use that as motivation to work harder to get the scales moving down again.

But really I try not to pay too much attention to the numbers on the scales and focus on doing what I need to do to shift this weight

It's also a good idea to look at overall weight loss, e.g. 14 lbs in 8 weeks, rather than OMG I'm up 1.5lbs from last week. It helps keep you positive and focussed.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    i'd wait a few days as air travel can lead you to retain weight. Just do it once a week and weigh in on your regular day as normal and record it on here. If i gain then i still put it on here.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and log it without fail, even if it is the same or changed by only .2 lbs up or down. :happy: