Caffine Question

Options
So I gave up caffeine as part of my change to a healthier lifestyle. The only problem is now I feel like I'm always tired even though I'm working out at least 5 times per week. Any suggestions or does it get better? I have been off of it for about a month.

Replies

• thicansxy
    Options
    It does get better, sometimes its just a mind thing. Have you thought of buying some decaf coffee. So when your feeling tired have a cup and your mind will think its real. Works for me
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I couldnt give up coffee. I just drink it with skim milk and splenda..its only 70 calories and thats for an extra extra large.
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Substitute it with Tea.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Its part of the withdrawl process. It does get better, I promise. You can trick yourself by drinking decaff, but even decaf has a small amount of caffiene. If your goal is to get off the caffiene for good, try herbal teas. I love Yogi Teas!
  • supercool111
    Options
    why would you give up coffee? It has a lot of health benefits! Decaff coffee is bad for you though...
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I gave up coffee a year ago and replaced it with hot water with a wedge of lemon in the morning. At work and in the evening I drink herbal tea. It took a while but I don't miss it now. The other day I was tired because I hadn't slept well. I got a small coffee with milk and I could not stand the taste. I used to love it so much.

Caffeine has some benefits in that it gives you an energy boost however Gillian McKeith says this about caffeine" caffeine not only dehydrates you but also starves your body of B-vitamins. "It will create more stress in your body, and stress has the same effect every time," she said. "Cortisol pouring into the system, and all these other stress hormones... it's like giving your brain an acid bath: you can't think."
  • lswatson111304
    lswatson111304 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I quit soda/caffine about 12 days ago. I have been dragging every since. I've also been working out daily. I'm at the point where I wana chug a dr. pepper to perk myself up! But I don't wanna mess up. Honeslty I'd take back the caffine, but I dont want the soda back. I'm hoping that will help me to show a good loss..eventually since I'm for some reason holding on to the weight. I might go back to drinking a glass of tea or something. I dont know. I'm afraid that if I do, I'll give in with soda as well.
  • supercool111
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of Gillian's to be honest. Drinking too much coffee can cause stress and lack of sleep and coffee contains tannins which hinder iron absorption but its all good once you don't over do it! It's the same with all foods!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    As another poster said--coffee isn't bad for you--in moderation.

Studies are showing that it can lower your risk of type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease and colon cancer, among other benefits.

http://www.webmd.com/community/healthy-weight-8/coffee

Here's an article about some of the myths and facts about drinking coffee.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/caffeine-myths-and-facts

Moderation is the key, as it is with all things.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    What about some B12. I hear if you do the B12 that goes under your tongue it works the best. Not sure if it works myself yet. Tomorrow is my 1st day caffeine free (not a coffee drinker but a diet soda drinker).
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    I gave up coffee a year ago and replaced it with hot water with a wedge of lemon in the morning. At work and in the evening I drink herbal tea. It took a while but I don't miss it now. The other day I was tired because I hadn't slept well. I got a small coffee with milk and I could not stand the taste. I used to love it so much.

Caffeine has some benefits in that it gives you an energy boost however Gillian McKeith says this about caffeine" caffeine not only dehydrates you but also starves your body of B-vitamins. "It will create more stress in your body, and stress has the same effect every time," she said. "Cortisol pouring into the system, and all these other stress hormones... it's like giving your brain an acid bath: you can't think."

Is that why it is supposed to inhibit weight loss? Except on those days when I am really tired, I try to limit myself to 1.5 cups of coffee, drink it with skim milk... I also drink green and black tea, but I've read that there are enzymes in tea that block caffeine absorption