Reviews of Epic A30T treadmill?

Options
Does anyone have inputs or reviews for Epic A30T treadmill?
I am planning to buy this from ****s Sporting good.

Replies

• coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have inputs or reviews for Epic A30T treadmill?
    I am planning to buy this from ****s Sporting good.
    Looking at the same one on sale for $999. Not many reviews to be found beyond this:
    http://www.treadmilltalk.com/epic-a30t-treadmill.html
  • erinherrera76
    erinherrera76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bought it for $1000 from ****'s Sporting Goods last week, had them deliver and assemble. Sixth Man Delivery Service was prompt, clean cut, friendly and quick assembling the thing. I'm currently in hate with this machine, though, and am going to the trouble of returning it to the store.

First problem--a very minor annoyance, but one that really got under my skin--the "Active Adjust" display console will not stay up to where I adjust it to...as I run or walk, it slowly lays back down to where I can see iridescent 8s on every field. I suppose I could stick a balled-up sock or a book back behind it to keep it in place, but come on...why should I have to do that?

Second problem, in my 3rd workout on the machine, the sensors on the back of the running bed sensed something in their tractor beams--there's no one else and no pets in my house. It stopped working mid-workout--no buttons would respond. Waving my foot around back there did nothing. I had to get off the thing, panting and sweating and flip the on-off switch on the front to restart it. Whenever you do that, the machine recalibrates its incline for 3 minutes for so, going all the way up to 12% and then back down 0. I quit running for the day, more than irritated.

Third problem, the technology in this thousand-dollar machine is as advanced as it was when I was last on a treadmill in about 1997. I have to say I expected advances in 15 years and in the age of smartphones. The fields on the A30T are the predictable duration, distance, calories burned (with no info anywhere as to what weight this is calibrated to and no function to adjust it to my own height/weight), heart rate readout when you put your hands on the handles, incline percentage and speed. There are several pre-programmed workouts in there, but they're varying times and intensities and grant you no ability to manipulate those variables. For example, one "Calorie" workout is 20 minutes long, appears to be an interval workout from The Matrix display they boast about in the manual (the little columns of pixels that blink as you're progressing through the workout) and at its max intensity is 8% incline and 4.5 mph. II never run just 20 minutes and never that slowly, so I'd like to spread this out to 45 minutes or more, but there's no way to adjust the time or intensity, except on the fly by pressing the buttons while you're in the workout. There ARE 2 "user-defined" programs you can set up yourself, but you actually have to do the workout for it to be stored in memory--like you're pushing play and record down at the same time on an old tape recorder. Worst part of the user-defined workout is that you're programming "segments" of 30 seconds each, so as you're working out, it'll record what you just did for 30 seconds, and then at the end it's like it "lets go" of your preferences and start to settle back to zero on both incline and speed, and you have to set it back up to what you were doing or what you'd like it to change to in that segment. Are you kidding me?? I want to run for an hour at varying intervals--you're telling me I have jump in 120 times and reset the incline and speed every 30-seconds to create a program, all WHILE I'm working out?! Umm...no. So...so much for the antiquated technology of the onboard programs--good thing it comes equipped for wi-fi connectivity and that I can go on iFit.com to create programs using Google maps. Whew! Oh? That costs $100/year? Well, ok, my fitness is worth it to me, right? Let's get connected!

Fourth problem, it won't connect to wi-fi. I use my iPhone as a hotspot, and in the manual, it gives you specific instructions for how to use it that way. I made sure to test my connection with my laptop--all systems go--and tried several times on several days with several variables controlled for in trying to connect. I'm not a computer idiot (I'm the go-to in my workplace when someone has a tech question). This 300-pound, $1000 machine is simply not connecting.

I went back to ****'s and asked what my options were. I've never returned such a big item before--wasn't even sure they'd take it back at the store. The guy was great, saying they would take it back and letting me know they've heard of the connectivity problem before and that he was going to use the info now to inform the buyer for his store that these treadmills have this reputation. He said there's a chip in the machine that controls the connectivity, and it's possible the guy who assembled it didn't put it in there. He suggested sending a service person...but I'm done. I'll put a couple hundred dollars into warm running gear and just brave the cold through the winter.

So I saw a Living Social deal for two-hour moving services, and am having a very accommodating moving company come get this thing and take it back to the store on Monday. But hey, at least I put $150 into the local economy, right?
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you had that experience! :sad: :mad: Boy am I glad I didn't buy that model! :happy: I finally decided on the Sole F80. I tried it out at local Sears but later found out that they were cheaper direct for mfg, including free shipping! And this was Sears' sales price plus "Friends and Family" discount! As a matter of fact, I added the 'delivery direct to your room of preference' and it was still cheaper than Sears' in-store pickup option. Ain't that a blip?! The one online is last year's model, but I see no marked difference between the 2011 and 2012 models.
    I should get it by month's end. If you want an update in a few weeks, feel free to send me a direct message and/or friend request.