How can I calculate how much cals I burn while exercising?

Options
Ainar
Ainar Posts: 858 Member
I have heard that you need a heart rate to do that. But I don't have a heart rate monitor. I've also heard that you can calculate approximate amount basing only on age, high, weight, gender, etc without heart rate, only it won't be that accurate. So how do I calculate that? Can you please give me formula? Or even better, a website with in build calculator where I can calculate it online?

I am 21 years old male and I currently weight 73 kilograms. I'm 184 centimeters in high and was jogging for over 6 months. Today I jogged for 60 minutes and distance was 8.68 kilometers.

I have been eating healthy and exercising for a couple years but I started to count my calories only two days ago so I'm total newbie at it.

I do realize that you can find exercises here on this website and basing on time it will give you approximate calories burned? But what if that exercise is based on somebody who is 100 pounds overweight and never run before. His cals will be burned more cos heart rate will be higher, I assume? So i guess that would not fit for me for example?

I would appreciate help. ^^

Replies

• Ainar
    Options
    Bump? =/
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    the exercise log on this site is based off of your height weight and age as well as the exercise you did and duration. The only other way to get what it sounds like you are looking for is a heart rate monitor.
  • LiloliLO88
    Options
    the exercise log on this site is based off of your height weight and age as well as the exercise you did and duration. The only other way to get what it sounds like you are looking for is a heart rate monitor.

I agree with this, the only other way is to wear an HRM. Sounds like what you are looking for is exactly what the workout chart in MFP has to offer; counting out approximately how much you burn based on your age/weight etc and how fast you run.
  • LiloliLO88
    Options
    You can find similar calorie counters if you google around, for ex: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • Ainar
    Options
    Oww, ok. So it's based on my weight here at this site? Lemme double check if I understand you right (cos I have bad English)...

So if I git to "My Home" > "Track Exercise" > "Add Exercise" > "Search our exercise database by name:" "Jogging" > Pick exercise: "Running (jogging) 8.6 mph (7 min mile)" > enter duration: "60" and it shows me calories burned: "1036". So that burned calories are based on MY high, gender, age, weight, etc? Right? Not some kind of other random person who originally crated this exercise?
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Yes - You have it right, it is based on your statistics - That is a very fast pace to maintain for 60 mins!
  • Ainar
    Options
    Ok, I see now. Thanks! ^^
    That is a very fast pace to maintain for 60 mins!
    Nope... not really. It was a typo/mistake... I just realized. I run 8.6 kilometers in 60 minutes, not miles. So it's 5.3 miles actually. I just selected 8.6 miles by accident. =D