Question about the nutrition

Options
My fitness pal has my goal for polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats as 0. Aren't these the "good fats" that we need? Why would fitness pal have my Saturated fat goal as 18 and my unsaturated fats' goal as 0????

Replies

• Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think it's because there is no recommended maximum or minimum amount a person should be eating. They track it for you so that you are aware.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    For the same reason it's protein is so low. It's flawed. I just don't go over my total fat macros and don't worry if I "go over" on the poly and mono saturates.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is required for manufacturers (in the US at least) to list these on nutritiion labels, making it hard to track. This may be why; just a practical issue.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think it's because there is no recommended maximum or minimum amount a person should be eating. They track it for you so that you are aware.

This ^^ MFP uses current medically RDA for it's default settings and there currently is none for poly- or mono-unsaturated fats. There are only daily recommended percents for total fat and saturated.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    For the same reason it's protein is so low. It's flawed. I just don't go over my total fat macros and don't worry if I "go over" on the poly and mono saturates.

lol

It is not flawed, it is protecting itself. People with Liver problems cant take that much protein...if MFP naturally made everyone go 1g of protein per pound, it would affect people who are sensative to it. They do it at a safe level for their own protection and give you the option to raise it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

lol

It is not flawed, it is protecting itself. People with Liver problems cant take that much protein...if MFP naturally made everyone go 1g of protein per pound, it would affect people who are sensative to it. They do it at a safe level for their own protection and give you the option to raise it.

Yes. That makes a bit more sense.
  • MichelleP31
    MichelleP31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I didn't even realize that there was no RDA for those. I just knew my bad fats were high enough on my blood work, but my good fats are not high enough.