Figure your ACTUAL TDEE without a calculator

Options

Replies

• cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Let me simplify.
    Use the calculator I linked to get your starting point.
    Use that starting point for 6 weeks.
    Figure your average weight lost or gained per week based on that 6 week period. (total for the 6 weeks, divided by 6)
    Figure your average calories per week based on that 6 week period. (total for the 6 weeks divided by 6)
    That will give your your average calories eaten per week and how much weight you lost per week.
    Now you can adjust by remembering that each pound of fat loss costs 3500 calories.

So if you lost a pound per week and wanted to lose an additional pound per week, You would just eat 3500 less calories per week.

Problem is, everything you lose isn't fat. So now you have to account for water, glycogen, muscle mass, connective tissue, etc.

I'd rather spend my time actually working out, but to each his own.
    Absolutely. There are a lot of other things to consider based on your goals. For example, I am working to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, so my macros will be different than someone who is cutting, etc. This just helps to make micro adjustments to diet to line up with your goals. One piece of the puzzle, if you will.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This ^^^
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Ugh, wish some people would just shut up. It's not complicated in the least. If you don't want to read about it, don't read about it.

Thanks OP for the information.
  • cedarghost
    Options
    I gave up after the second paragraph, sorry. Simply everyone that's using their TDEE should keep track of their progress or lack of and adjust their calorie intake as they feel needed. The end.
    In a nutshell, this is what I was getting at. Not everyone knows how to do that. This is my attempt at explaining what I do personally.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    MFP makes this about as simple as it could possibly be. Why oh why does everyone make this sooooo freakin complicated?

This too! LOL
  • cedarghost
    Options
    I'm a numbers person myself, so I appreciate you taking the time to explain all this.
    YES, i read the entire thing! :wink:
    Thanks!
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I like the idea behind you calculations! Cool!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    All you really need to do to find out your maintenace calories here is to put in your actual starting weight as your goal weight then MFP will give you your calories to maintain. If you want to lose a lb a week then just subtract 500 cals per day and you're good to go.
    All without factoring in exercise. If you exercise then just log that to get your extra cals for that day. Or not!

You think that is anywhere near an accurate estimate?

That's what the suggestion is, getting a better estimate - because MFP with YOUR choice of activity level could be WAY off.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    it said my TDEE is five

I'm going to eat at TDEE for maintenance and I'm going to blame you if this goes wrong
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator-calibration/

This is basically the same suggestion for getting a more accurate TDEE than what a calculator will tell you. All about spending some time monitoring your weight and calorie intake VERY CLOSELY to see how far off the calculator is.
  • cedarghost
    Options
    MFP makes this about as simple as it could possibly be. Why oh why does everyone make this sooooo freakin complicated?
    Really? Because I can't find High Intensity Interval Training or High Intensity Strength Training in MFP. Come to think of it, I couldn't find CrossFit in there either. Which is why I prefer the TDEE method.
    It's really not rocket science.
    Collect data over a number of days, divide the data by the number of days and you have an average number that shows you EXACTLY what the effect of calories and your exercise has on YOUR body. Knowing 3500 calories is a pound, adjust accordingly.
    Pretty basic.
  • Carmenbraun55
    Carmenbraun55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • cedarghost
    Options
    it said my TDEE is five

I'm going to eat at TDEE for maintenance and I'm going to blame you if this goes wrong
    lmao...... :)
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea/post. Makes sense.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Does anybody really take the time out of their day to read long messages?

:laugh:

I do when I'm at work with no "work" to do!
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    SIMPLE VERSION:

I did something similar because I love playing with Excel just too much. And I had time...lol

Tracked daily for 6 months...calories in and weight.

Used food scales and everything to be super accurate.

I multiplied pounds lost by 3500 and added that to total calories in. Divided that number by how many days I tracked. And voila...TDEE for me.

Which by the way is about 300 less than every calculator out there.
  • cedarghost
    Options
    SIMPLE VERSION:

I did something similar because I love playing with Excel just too much. And I had time...lol

I multiplied pounds lost by 3500 and added that to total calories in. Divided that number by how many days I tracked. And voila...TDEE for me.

Mine were off a little over 300 as well. Good point about the food scales too. Estimating too often would definitely be a bad thing.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    SIMPLE VERSION:

Mine were off a little over 300 as well. Good point about the food scales too. Estimating too often would definitely be a bad thing.

Which works out to over half a pound a week...ugh. So not fun.