Measuring in oz.?

gex14286
gex14286 Posts: 6
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Hi.
I'm new to counting calories and I'm not sure how the oz work for solid foods... is it by volume or by weight? I've never tried to measure cooked food before! Here's an example: I had meatloaf from scratch and the serving size is 4 oz (according to the one I picked from myfitnesspal database because it was too hard to figure out each ingredient) but how do I know how much 4 oz is? Thanks guys!

Replies

• about 113g I think! 1 ounce is 28.3 grammes. I'd say they do mean weight and not volume as they can't be talking about fluid ounces sure they can't?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I just figure there's 8 oz in a cup, and base my measuring off of that. 2 oz is 1/4 cup, 4 oz 1/2 cup, etc. Hasn't affected my weight loss so far :)
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    There are ounces and ounces. One is called fluid ounces.

(dry) ounces are a weight. so 4 oz of meatloaf would be a quarter pound (1/4 of 16 oz).

(wet) fluid ounces are a volume. A half a cup is 4 fl oz, but a half a cup of meat loaf may weigh 2 weight ounces--or 8!

They are confusing, but it's important to get them straight.

If the serving size has ounces and grams next to it, it's a weight. If not, it's probably a volume.

Think of it this way: a cup of water weighs 8oz., but a cup of feathers probably doesn't even weigh 1oz.

For easy conversions, 1 (dry) ounce = 30 grams. (It's actually closer to 28.5)
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Easiest way for me to figure it out= buy a cheap food scale. then you just put the meatloaf on and record whatever it says! hehe. this is what i do for my meats mainly and a few other things that only seem to go by oz. They have digital and reg and they're pretty cheap! Great investment i think.
This discussion has been closed.