Diabetics, Exercise, and Foot Problems

Options
I'm a T2 diabetic, and in the last month or so I've noticed my toes start going numb when I walk/run. I have very comfortable running shoes, that fit well, but I'm concerned. I see my diabetes doc on Feb 3rd for regular checkup. I will certainly mention it to her, and hope that it's not neuropathy or anything.
Should I be concerned in the meantime? Just wondering if healthy people experience this, too (and would like feedback from fellow diabetics as well!)

Replies

• nogaks
    nogaks Posts: 5
    Options
    I brought this up with the dr who is doing my foot surgery. I am very healthy otherwise than the bunions that I just got fixed. :-)

My doctor told me that numbness in the feet is totally normal for a lot of people when they workout. For me it happens a lot and is really frustrating. I try to keep a bit off of my toes and more weight on my whole foot/heels, but it can be hard to do in my step and kickboxing aerobics class.

However, I think that is good that you are going to see your dr about this since you are diabetic. But just know that yes, this happens to non-diabetics too.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Def talk with your doc about it, but it is quite normal! I always have problems with certain machines. I do best on treadmills and other exercises that keep the feet moving.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can experience foot numbness when doing some exercises (more common w/ellipticals and stair climbers) due to nerve compression caused by the flattening of the arch and placement of the foot.

In your case, with the underlying medical condition, you will still need to rule out neuropathy. but there is a good chance it is not related, esp at your age. Neuropathy is usually a condition that takes longer to develop, as I understand.

Good luck.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I saw on Dr oz once that there is a nerve at the top of the foot right where we tie our laces. If we tie them too tight it can cause the numbness. He suggested to lace the shoes in the opposite direction so that you tie the shoe at the toe instead. He claims it works. I usually try to just not tie it so tight...:smile: See if it works for you...
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    There's an interesting concept! I will have to try that, thanks deb!

My mom had foot problems very young (multiple surgeries, etc), so I'm not sure if genetics could lend to it, but I'm very relieved to hear others are experiencing similar issues.