I think I'm doing something wrong

Options
Today marks three weeks on MFP. I've only lost 8.6 pounds. I thought I would lose it a lot more quickly. The last time I did WW, I lost 7 pounds the first week, and 5 the second week. I just don't want to get discouraged and give up. I KNOW 8.6 pounds is better than nothing, but I'm getting discouraged. :( I guess I just need some words of wisdom. Thanks!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    That is a far faster than average rate of loss. It is completely unrealistic to think that will continue. A pound or so a week is optimum. I am not trying to be a wise *kitten* but I can't for the life of me imagine why you would be discouraged. How long did it take to get overweight? Why do you expect the pounds to just melt away like nothing? That would not even really be a good idea long term.
  • Siobhan1983
    Options
    8.6 in 3 weeks is great! I hope I loose that much in 3 weeks.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Uh yeah... eight pounds in three weeks is majorly fast.
  • hope8311
    hope8311 Posts: 166
    Options
    I am not overweight have 10-15 lbs to lose however, I have only lost 2lbs in 25 days....I have had a couple days were I went off the deep end...However, I still stuck in there.... But getting discouraged...But I agree you lost a lot in a little time...
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think you need to re-evaluate how you are seeing things here; your weight loss is fast! I'm not going to say the standard lines like " you shouldn't lose more than 2 pounds per week because it isn't healthy"' because only you know how you feel. But your weight loss speed isn't going to be sustainable for the long haul, it gets slower over time. So take a moment to figure out what you are going to do when you only lose 1 pound in a week. You are going to have to be able to motivate you. Being realistic will help. Congrats on what you have done so far!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I would cut off my arm to lose 8.6 pounds! Not really, lol, but at this rate, I would have to! Any loss is a good loss and 9 in 3 weeks is above and beyond what many people will lose. You are not doing anything wrong. Please do not get discouraged now, because when you're at where I am and have only 10 pounds left, you'll pray for a pound a week.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Today marks three weeks on MFP. I've only lost 8.6 pounds. I thought I would lose it a lot more quickly. The last time I did WW, I lost 7 pounds the first week, and 5 the second week. I just don't want to get discouraged and give up. I KNOW 8.6 pounds is better than nothing, but I'm getting discouraged. :( I guess I just need some words of wisdom. Thanks!

Did you gain it back on ww? Theirs your answer you dont count weight loss till a year of keeping it off. If anything your lose will slow down to 1 pound a week if your lucky.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The first week or so is mainly water weight. You just lost less water weight this time.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! With the amount of weight you have to lose 1.5 to 2 pounds a week is about the best you can do and you've passed that by far!
    This is a marathon, not a sprint.

This is not Biggest Loser, this is the real world.

Learn some patience and be proud of the fact that you're making improvements to your health and fitness, not just losing weight. There is way more to this process than the number on the scale!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

8.6 pounds is actually amazing results! More than 2 pounds a week! You don't want to lose any faster....Slow and steady is the sustainable way to lose weight.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I havent lost ANYTHING in the past 5 weeks. If you think anything more than 1-2lbs per week is sustainable, I strongly suggest you do some research and reading.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Try not to get discouraged. You've done great so far and remember slow and steady wins the race. In other words, not to be mean at all, but it sounds like in the past you had rapid weight loss results and it seems like that didn't work for you in the long term because you're back here now. Embrace a more sustainable approach, accept that it will take longer than before, but it will benefit you more in the long run because this time you'll keep it off.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think you have made great progress!! Way to go.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has been posting. Almost 9 pounds in just three weeks is a lot of weight in a short amount of time. I've been on here for three months straight logging every day and I gained 5 pounds due to different workouts/ changing diet/ etc. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. Getting discouraged about losing 9 pounds will just burn you out.
  • kayellgee
    Options
    8.6 in 3 weeks is great! I hope I loose that much in 3 weeks.

Me too!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? 8.6 lbs in 3 weeks? This is MASSIVE loss. Take it and run!
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like everyone else said, your loss is pretty big for only 3 weeks. Do your research and you will find that the average weight loss is much, much slower...
  • ahmpierce1
    ahmpierce1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sigh...if only I could lose that much weight in that little time....:grumble:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile to see if you were a troll, I saw where you have done this weight loss thing so many times in the past but it has not seem to have stuck.

If you are losing this much weigh this fast, by all means, you ARE doing something wrong. Please make baby step changes to your life and eat healthy, do not diet. This may mean a slower loss rate but it ensures success in the long run. Get fit and healthy and give those kids the mother they deserve, not the mom that is always on a diet.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you stop watching The Biggest Loser and do some research on how to lose weight properly and keep it off. I know I sound like a smarta$$ with that answer, but seriously...body fat doesn't fall off in a few weeks. It takes a great deal of time, effort, and healthy changes to make weight loss permanent. Best of luck.