One "free" meal a week.

Options
I have been allowing myself one "free" meal a week. I can have whatever I want during that meal. So far I don't see that it's hurt me at all. Is anyone else doing this and have you ever reached a point where it was hindering your weight loss? It's helped me because if there's something that I have really been craving, I know that I can have it on Friday night.

Replies

• cnbenton
    Options
    I find it useful to allow myslef a "reward meal" so long as I don't let that turn into a reward day or a reward weekend...which is easy for me to talk myself into. If I can keep myself to one meal I find it to be a nice change of pace that keeps me on track.

Cari
  • melissahager
    Options
    I have a hard time with this one... though I think the idea is great because I always hear people say that if you deny yourself of those yummy meals on occasion you are more likely to fail in your diet. It sounds like you have a set reward and are in control of it so I say do what is working to keep you on track and happy.

I, however, tend to stay off the bandwagon once I have a sinful meal. This happened to me last Saturday. I was out of town but still did a run Saturday morning and started my day with a banana, a granola bar, and a coffee. I was TRULY TYRING!!! Then lunch came... I had a delicious meal at Bubba Gumps in Daytona Beach and have been BAD every since!!!! I finally decided about an hour ago that I needed to get off my butt and re-focus. So here I am...
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    i will one meal but i dont go "crazy" with it and still try to log it in to really see how many calories it was. makes you wonder if it was worth it. the longer you eat well, the less you will want that "bad" stuff.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I used to do this, and like kgrutch said, the longer you eat healthy, the more that's all you want. So, yes, I do think it's a good idea (not saying I don't have treats every now and then), but you will probably find you can go longer than a week without a treat the longer you are on your weight loss/fitness journey.
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    I do it. I also think it helps with metabolism over the long run. Since I'm not a fan of fried foods and like veggies a lot anyway, it will usually be fairly healthy, but I allow myself things like good french bread, or pasta, or white rice - definitely always wine and ice cream or a nice dessert... Like others have mentioned, it helps to handle cravings. Also, for me, it helps me to view food differently, rather than seeing foods as "good" and "bad" I am better able to view them in terms of how they help me with my health goals, if that makes sense.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    In the 3 weeks I have been doing this, I had one "bad" meal. I felt like crap after and haven't done it since then. Plus seeing how much over calories I was scared me! I agree you should treat yourself, but i think I overdid it a little.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I still do the cheat meal, but it's changed. At one time, the cheat meal was 1/2 a pizza. But as Amy said, your tastes change, and the gooey cheesy stuff just isn't really good anymore. I tried to eat a big hunk of cheesecake a while back and it was like trying to eat a stick of butter :sick:

Now my cheat meal is 3 trips at Golden Corral buffet (I used to do at least 5). And nothing but salad, grilled meats, veggies, a little starch and some dessert stuff. Probably under 1000 calories total.

It changes,,, you get used to it. Your idea of what a big meal is changes. I wouldn't change a thing. :drinker: