Lentils

Options

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    There are loads of good dhal recipes online. I love dhal.

Sambar is (a spicy side dish of lentils and tamarind) is also something I highly recommend.
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Canderson5805, Thanks for asking this question. I've noted down 3 recipes to try on that bag of lentils that has been sitting in my cupboard for ages :tongue:
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Lentils are not just good for soup, they make awesome awesome burrito filling. I love lentils because they are easy to cook. You don't even have to soak them like normal beans (but some people do, and that's cool too)

I'll eat lentils in everything, they are such a great bonus in any recipe I make. My wife likes to put meat in however I think they stand in for meat very well. I read someone else talk about lentils and quinoa, now that's a great meal. Many good workouts have been had fueled by that combo. Lentil chili is exquisite.

Try them, you'll love them.
  • MollDoll81
    Options
    http://www.wisebread.com/25-tasty-and-cheap-lentil-recipes

I JUST found that post yesterday- looks like it has a lot of great ideas.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    There are literally HUNDREDS of recipes you can make with lentils. Here are some of my favourites:

Spiced Red Lentil and Coconut Soup

Energy: 264cal
    Protein: 13.6g
    Fat: 6.8g (1g saturated)
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Calcium: 96mg
    Fibre: 4.1g
    Sodium: 134mg

Ingredients:

30ml/2 Tbsp sunflower or peanut oil
    2 red onions, finely chopped
    1 birds' eye chilli, seeded and finely sliced
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    2.5cm/1 inch piece of fresh lemongrass, outer layers remoced and inside finely sliced
    200g red lentils, rinsed
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp paprika
    400ml coconut milk
    900ml water
    juice of 1 lime
    3 spring onions, chopped
    20g fresh coriander, finely chopped
    salt and ground black pepper

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions, chilli, garlic and lemongrass. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions have softened but not browned, stirring occasionally.

2. Add the lentils and spices. Pour in the coconut milk and water, and stir until well mixed. Bring to the boil, stir, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until the lentils are soft and mushy.

3. Pour in the lime juice and add the spring 0nions and fresh coriander, reserving a lettle of each for the garnish. Season, then ladle into bowls. Garnish with the reserved spring onions and coriander.

Source: Hill, S. (2007). The Beans & Pulses Cookbook, Southwater: London, p. 36

Serves: 4

Egg and Lentil Curry

Admittedly this is a little "expensive" on the calorie side, but it IS delicious. IT is also good without the eggs, especially as a side dish to a more dry dish or served over rice.

Energy: 583 cal
    Protein: 14.4g
    Carbohydrate: 87.3g
    Fat: 15.9g (saturated fat: 3.5g)
    Cholesterol: 8mg
    Calcium: 196mg
    Fibre: 3.2g
    Sodium: 131mg

Ingredients:

1.5 cups of green lentils
    3 cups vegetable stock
    6 free-range eggs
    2 Tbsp oil
    2-3 cloves
    1/4tsp black peppercorns
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 green chillies, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    2.5cm/1 inch piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
    2 Tbsp curry paste (can use Thai red curry paste if you want)
    400g can of chopped tomatoes
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp garam masala

Method:

1. Wash the lentils thoroughly under cold running water. Put the lentils in a large, heavy pan with the vegetable stock. Cover and simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.

2. Cook the eggs in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut in half lengthways.

3. Heatthe oil in a large frying pan and fry the cloves and peppercorns for about 2 minutes. Add the onion, chillies, garlic and ginger, and fry the mixture for a further 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.

4. Stir in the curry paste and fry for a further 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

5. Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar and stir in 175ml of water. Simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Add the boiled eggs, drained lentils and garam masala. Cover and simmer for a further 1o minutes, then serve.

Source: Hill, S. (2007). The Beans & Pulses Cookbook, Southwater: London, p. 69

*******************************************************************************

I haven't done the nutritional breakdown for this one yet, but it shouldn't be too bad. It's great for a cold winter's night!

Golden Lentil Stew

Ingredients:

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    2 Small/Medium Yellow Onions, Roughly Chopped (2 Cups)
    2 Leeks, Roughly Chopped (2 Cups)
    8 Stalks Celery, Diced (1 Cup)
    4 – 6 Carrots, Diced (1 Cup)
    2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
    2 Tablespoons Yellow Curry Powder
    1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
    1 Teaspoon Sweet Paprika
    1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
    2 Cups Split Yellow Daal (Lentils)
    1/2 Cup Uncooked White Rice
    1 x 400g Can Crushed Tomato
    2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
    6 – 8 Cups Vegetable Stock, or More if Desired
    1 1/2 Teaspoons SaltFreshly Ground Black Pepper

4 Cups Broccoli Florets, Par Cooked from Fresh or Frozen
    1 Cup Frozen Peas

Method:

1. In a large stockpot over medium heat, get the oil nice and hot, and saute the onions, leeks, celery, carrots, and garlic, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, until the onions are translucent and all the veggies are tender.

2. Add in the herbs and spices, and cook for another 10 minutes to let the flavors begin to mingle.

3. At this stage, you can go ahead and introduce your dry lentils and rice, as well as the tomatos, vinegar, and 6 cups of the vegetable stock. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the stew to simmer, adding in more stock if it threatens to dry out and burn, for about 1 hour, until the lentils are cooked through.

4. Give it a taste, add in the salt and pepper, taste again, and adjust the seasonings if desired.

5. Toss in the frozen veggies, kill the heat, and just stir them through the mixture to thaw. Allow 5 minutes for this last round of veg to come up to temperature. Add in the remaining amount of stock if it’s too thick for your tastes, and even more if you’d prefer something soupier. Serve piping hot!

Source: http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com/2010/01/11/warming-from-the-inside-out/

Serves: 8-10 (good for taking to work the next day)

Spicy Pumpkin and Lentil Tagine

This dish takes around 15 minutes to prepare, and about 40 minutes to cook, but is worth it.

Per serve: 775kJ (185cal); Protein 5g; Total Fat 11g; Saturated Fat 1g; Carbohydrate 14g; Total Sugars 9g; Sodium 170mg; Potassium 750mg; Calcium 60mg; Iron 2.1mg; Fibre 4g.

Ingredients:

1 tbsp sunflower oil
    1 brown onion, finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground sumac
    1 tsp ground coriander
    ¼ tsp ground chilli (optional)
    420g can low salt diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp tomato paste
    ½ tsp sugar
    ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
    ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped
    400g can brown lentils (drained and rinsed)
    600g butternut pumpkin, seeded and chopped into 2cm pieces

Method:

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook over low heat until softened. Add the garlic, cook for a few seconds, then stir in the ground spices. Cook for 30 seconds, add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, half the parsley and coriander.

2. Add the lentils and chopped pumpkin, stir well, then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.

3. Sprinkle with remaining parsley and coriander to serve.

4. Serve with couscous with currants and almonds.

Source: http://www.vegetarianweek.com.au/HealthyEatingTips/Recipes/Spicy-Pumpkin-and-Lentil-Tagine.aspx

Serves: 4-6.

Lentil Cottage Pie:

Haven't done the nutritional breakdown for this one.

This recipe is DELICIOUS! It's great to take to work as it reheats well, and you can even cook it in individual rammikins if you wish. Definitely goes down well.

Ingredients:

800g medium new potatoes, quartered
    40g butter
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
    1 medium brown onion, chopped finely
    2 cloves of garlic, crushed (or to taste)
    415g can crushed tomatoes
    1 cup vegetable stock
    1 cup water
    2 Tbsp tomato paste
    1/3 cup dry red wine
    2/3 cup red lentils
    1 medium carrot, chopped finely
    1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
    1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Method:

1. Preheat oven to hot (220-230*C)

2. Boil or steam potato until tender, and drain. Mash in large bown with half of the butter and the parmesan cheese.

3. Melt remaining butter in medium deep frying pan and cook onion and garlic, stirring until onion softens. Add undrained tomatoes, stock, the water, paste, wine, lentils and carrot. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.

4. Add peas and parsley and cook, uncovered, for 5 mins. Spoon lentil mixture into shallow 1 litre ovenproof dish (or individual rammikins, as discussed above).

5. Spread potato mash on top. Bake, uncovered, in hot oven for 20 mins. Stand the pie for 10 mins before serving.

Variation:

Also tastes great with sweet potato or pumpkin mash, instead of the potato mash.

*********************************************************************************************

And my family's favourite go-to recipe:

Lentil soup:

Ingredients:

1 cup of red lentils
    1 litre boiling water
    a little oil or butter
    1-2 carrots (cut into about 1cm chunks)
    2-3 stalks of celery (cut into about 1cm chunks)
    1/2-1 onion (diced)
    as much garlic as you want
    1 tsp garam marsala
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp tumeric
    1 tsp corriander (or seeds)
    1 Tbspn cream
    1 Tpspn cornflour
    1 cup diced tomato
    1 cup peas &/or corn
    any other vegetable you want to put in
    Fresh herbs (e.g. corriander, basil, parsley, etc)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

1. Combine lentils and boiling water. Leave to soak while you prepare the rest of the ingredients

2. In a hot saucepan combine oil/butter, garlic, carrots, celery and stir until celery is a bit tender

3. Add garam marsala, cumin, tumeric and corriander (if you don't have these, add an equivalent amount of curry powder) and allow the aroma of the spices to come out

4. Pour lentils and remaining water into above saucepan and stir

5. Allow to simmer for up to 20mins

6. Combine cream and cornflour, then add to the pot

7. Add tomato, corn and peas and any other cooked vegetables (you can put mushrooms, zucchini, etc in raw as it will cook through) and allow to simmer for a little while longer stirring as you do

8. Add herbs and salt and pepper to the mix and when they've lilted, it's ready to serve!! YUM!!!

It's great with fresh bread or damper and with a dollop of ricotta or cream cheese.

Serves: 4-6 people
  • SydDoesLife
    Options
    Not sure the exact recipe, but stew them with some stock and low fat sausages/chicken/bacon with carrots and herbs, delicious and warming!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup is the tastiest soup ever (but it makes you fart like a trouper) lol

Funny, they don't seem to give us the toots at all (certainly not compared to beans anyway). What kind you you use?

I regularly make a lentil stew with garlic, onions, olive oil, carrots, celery, potatoes, millet, spinach, veggie broth and tomato paste. For this I use the regular dried lentils you most commonly see in the store ("green" or brown). If you can't find them in the regular dry beans, try the Mexican food section where Goya products are kept.

I tend to wing it in the kitchen so I can't give you exact quantities but I'll try. This is not low carb but it's low in fat, a good source of protein, fiber, iron and nutrition generally, and very filling for the calories. The millet complements the already very good amino acid profile of the lentils and tastes good with it. If you use a vegan broth, this is a vegan recipe; although sometimes when I feel naughty I throw in a little butter with the olive oil.

In a large covered saucepan or stockpot (min. 4 qt.), slow simmer 1 large chopped onion and coarsely chopped garlic (I use about 6 cloves) in olive oil until the onions become soft. Add about 1 cup chopped celery, 1 cup chopped carrots, 1 cup chopped potatoes, and 1/4 cup millet. Add 1 bag of rinsed dry lentils and cover with water; cover with lid and bring to a medium boil for about 20 minutes, then add chopped spinach (I usually use frozen), more water until the , a can of tomato paste and 2 or 3 tablespoons or cubes of vegetable broth powder. You can also add some cayenne pepper or curry powder to taste at this point. Mix, cover and return to a medium boil, about another 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Done when the lentils are soft and vegetables are done through. Sometimes I cheat and make this with all frozen veg but it's not as good. This lasts a few days for us (one light eater and one walking stomach) and we often make a large batch with more vegetables and a tablespoon or two more millet and give some away. Depending on how big your pan is you can add more veg if you've got room, but the quantities I suggest above should fit in a 4qt pan.

There are also red lentils which cook a little faster but have a different flavor, and fancy lentils you usually see at the health food store, which are very dark green and called french, DePuy or caviar lentils. They're smaller and firmer and have a more distinct and insteresting flavor; these are nice for serving seasoned on their own in place of rice (as a bed for a main course) or in a pilaf with brown and wild rice.

I'm looking for a good recipe for lentil nut loaf for the holidays, myself; I do eat turkey sometimes but seem to be leaning back toward becoming a vegetarian again and a lentil nut loaf *sounds* like a tasty idea.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorites. It makes a lot and freezes well!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/lentil-and-chicken-soup-3-pts.html?m=1
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Lentil Cottage Pie:

That sounds great! Will try it this week.
  • aflorea2
    Options
    Sounds great! Trying this tomorrow.
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use mine instead of ground beef - so I make vege lasagne (just make a 'meat' sauce with tinned tomatoes and tinned lentils, onions, all the usual stuff), lentil shepards pie, lentil "spag bol" (again, just make a 'meat' sauce but replace meat with lentils), same with chilli. All very good for you - good for your tummy especially. I tried making brown rice with lentils as a side dish to a chickpea stir fry the other night which was tasty, but not amazing. Lentils have very little taste but are great at cheaply bulking things up. Good luck in the kitchen.
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    I absolutely adore lentils.

My recipe is as follows:

You add one chopped onion with a little bit of olive oil/butter in a hot pan and you leave it to cook until translucent. Add the garlic until fragrant and add the lentils and vegetables/chicken stock.
    Add a bay leaf, herbs, and basically anything you want from ginger to hot crushed peppers or curry powder.

Leave it to simmer covered for a while (15min or so) and then uncovered until the lentils are cooked and the water has evaporated. Add a bit of lemon juice and enjoy.

I don't have precise quantities because it's basically to taste. But trust me, add the lemon juice, it's the best.

This recipe is also great to serve with baked fish!

Hope you like it!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    So many great lentil recipes. I love them because of the taste and you don't have to presoak them. I cook beans, quinoa , etc. and measure the portion amount and freeze them in snack size ziploc bags. Always have something ready to warm up or add to another recipe.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    There are literally HUNDREDS of recipes you can make with lentils. Here are some of my favourites:

Spiced Red Lentil and Coconut Soup

Egg and Lentil Curry

Golden Lentil Stew

Spicy Pumpkin and Lentil Tagine

Lentil Cottage Pie:

Lentil soup:

Apart from the egg one ( I loathe eggs!) I am going to try all these. Thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    yes! love them! so many recipes, easy and simple....just google lentil soup, that's a great start! yum!
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Just sharing this since there's so much Lentil Love here; a few years ago when my coworker asked what I was bringing to our holiday luncheon and I said "lentil stew", she was delighted that someone was bringing something healthy and said that

'the lentil is the unsung hero of the kitchen'.

I still smile when I remember that :)
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Apart from the egg one ( I loathe eggs!) I am going to try all these. Thanks. :flowerforyou:

You could make the egg one and just leave the eggs out. Glad you like the rest of them though. Hope you enjoy them. :)
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bumping for recipes