Aches and Pains

I know that the ultimate answer here, is to see a doctor. I have, and she hasn't been very helpful...Figured I'd pose the question here, and based on responses maybe be better armed when I go back to the doc, or find a new one.

I'm 44 years old. Yes, I'm overweight, but have been steadily losing for the past few months.

My issue is that am often in a fair amount of body pain. My muscles hurt. My joints hurt. Especially after 'sitting' or 'resting'. It's worst when I wake up in the morning. Sometimes it is excruciating to take those first few steps in the morning. Once I get moving, it's not too bad. I can't squat, and it hurts to get up from a seated position.

When I started running, I attributed the aches and pains to my body adjusting to the exercise, but I've been running for almost 2 months now and the pain's not getting any better. I'm fine 'while' I run/exercise, but shortly after stopping (resting) the pain is unreal. I run for 30-40 minutes at a time, every other day. Full body pain afterwards, not just my legs/calves.

I know this can't be normal. I don't think that people who exercise, eat healthily, etc. are in constant pain. Or are they? I have seen so many men and women here on MFP who are my age, or older, who are in spectacular shape and work out much harder than I do.

Any thoughts??

Thank you :)

Replies

• PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Could it be a vitamin deficiency? I was having really achy joints and a physical showed that I was extremely low in vitamin D
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Read up on fibromyalgia. My assistant had that, and you've described her well. Exercise helps but she required a lot of slow stuff to get through it.
  • Thanks guys :)

Patty - I take a multi-vitiamin, with Vitamin D.....did you take a standalone supplement?

zyntx - I have read a bit on fibromyalgia, and it sure describes how I feel a lot....

I do think I may need to switch doctors, as I don't think mine takes me seriously enough when I tell her how I'm feeling. Quite honestly, I'm exhausted of being in pain for so much of the time.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Glucosamine sulfate is supposed to be very good for aches and pains. I take 2 a day and so does DH. We both think it helps.
  • I'm interested in what you're describing here...
    I'm a 28 year old female who was diagnosed with fibro about four years ago now.....

My PCP has been my biggest advocate in getting my constant pain under control and I highly recommend seeking a PCP or rheumotogist who believes that fibro exists (some will say it doesn't)... Trust me, it does. I'm 28 and most days I wake up feeling about 95.

Was there a sudden onset? Did it just begin happening as you started exercise? Can you recall what it was like prior to the weight loss and exercise? Was it the same feeling?

I used to love to run but my body no longer will let me do it... It just is too much on my joints. Seeing as I'm fairly young I don't want to "damage" myself for the future either.

As others, I'd definitely recommend having your blood work run. Check for vitamin D deficiency and possibly an inflammation factor or rheumatoid titer....

Just thoughts... Please feel free to message me if you have more questions!
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Sounds just like my Mom!! She was diagnosed with Fibromyalga and Myofacial Pain Syndrome(I am sure the spelling is wrong). Wish you the best, being in pain is no way to live.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Sounds like my lupus. See another doctor and ask for a referral to rheumatology.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Defiantly check the vit D but also ask for a referral to a rheumatologist.
  • As someone that has been dealing with lyme disease for over four years,I would say get it all checked. Best wishes for relief and answers
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    I'm very interested in these responses because you are describing me exactly. Often, I feel like I am 80 years old. I am so achy all the time. I have osteoarthris in my knee and probably elsewhere. I assumed it was something I will just have to live with. I never knew about the vitamin deficiency being a possibilty - about a year ago, I was disgnosed with low Vitamin D, but I have never been good about taking a supplement. Now, I will.